Welcome to Shrimp Keepers Forum

Welcome to Shrimp Keepers Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Shrimp Keepers Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Grubs

Platinum DAS

Grubs

This is a bit of a serendipitous project.  I've been breeding Darwin Algae Shrimp (DAS) Caridina sp. NTnilotica for a while now using salt water algae cultures to raise the larvae. I'm up to the F3 generation (since I got them from Aquagreen) and have raised a few hundred shrimp.  The normal colour is the horde in the photo below (swarming on an algae wafer)...but recently I've noticed just a few berried females that are white with metallic eyes.  I thought at first it might be that they have just moulted - but the saddle suggests otherwise, and tonight I isolated one that has released swimming larvae (I caught a few to try and rear) - so she has stayed white for long enough for the larvae to mature.  All up I only have 3 white females and 2 males ... but hey thats enough!   The males are just clear, but have the same eyes which really shine when viewed at night with a headlamp so easy to identify them among the herd.

Of course I don't know if the colour (or lack of colour!) will "stick" long term in an individual shrimp or whether it can be passed on... but only one way to find out...

20151102_232203.jpg

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

Edited by Grubs
  • Like 4

Disciple

WOW these are amazing!

Great work @Grubs

NoGi

That's awesome, we should do more selective breeding of our natives to see what we can achieve.

• Like 1

fishmosy

Wow that's a really cool colour variant. Keep us updated as to how you go with them long term. 

jayc

That's such a cool, yet weird colour for eyes. ?

KeenShrimp

Wow, the eyes look amazing @Grubs, well done on your breeding efforts with the DAS ?

Grubs

20160505_110929.jpg

In daylight without the eye shine...  what a beauty!

I think this is the same shrimp as in the first post above.  She's released the larvae and been re-fertilised or was still packing sperm from before (I think shrimp do that) and the saddle has become another batch of eggs. You can also notice she has not eaten (head and gut is clear)...hopefully not a problem.  I'm assuming for now that after a shrimp moults it doesnt eat for a while until all the "eating bits" have hardened up... at least that seems logical to me.

Compare to the shrimp below.(terrible photo sorry!). This one below has the clear body and white eggs also and  I think that brown smudge at the back of the head is the stomach and you can see the "poo chute". If not eating I expect it would be pretty like the one above - its something I'll watch for! 

Nature is cool.

20160505_111009.jpg

Edited by Grubs
  • Like 3

waffle

This is really really cool! Good luck with the project - I hope it's a heritable trait!! 

Grubs

20160821_105540.jpg

This one above is a mature female (right).  The others are all normal DAS.  There is a little juvi "platinum" just behind the tail of the big one exiting stage right.

Pic of the juvi below with normal coloured

20160821_105232.jpg

I had the white ones separated but needed the tank back so for now they are all in together but when I give away or sell shrimp I make sure I keep the white ones.  :P

• Like 1

fishmosy

Very cool shrimp mate. 

Gbang

Wow dude fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk