Macro/micro photography of a snail mouth

Damien

Hello everybody,

Ever wonder how the snails are scraping the algae?

_DSC2009-Edit.JPG_DSC2145-Edit.JPG

This shot is difficult to get, their mouth is moving so fast!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, fishmosy said:

Nice shots mate. The hard part that has all the teeth is called a radula. 

Thanks, you learned me something!

9 hours ago, GDT78 said:

Which lens did you use ?

A Nikon 180mm with a 10X microscope lens

Great shots, and amazing to see. Just a little creepy in that they remind me of something from Alien (or other such si-fi horror flicks).

It would be great if you could do a series of the different mouth parts of various snails kept in aquaria.

• Like 1

Another fun fact: Radulae are actually some of the hardest structures formed by a living organism! Made of mostly silicon and iron, the "teeth" are the closest thing we've found to biosynthetic steel. Pretty cool for just being a snail!

• Like 1

On 19/4/2016 at 8:22 PM, Baccus said:

It would be great if you could do a series of the different mouth parts of various snails kept in aquaria.

Good idea, we have some species here, will try to do that ;-)

7 hours ago, Mr. F said:

Another fun fact: Radulae are actually some of the hardest structures formed by a living organism! Made of mostly silicon and iron, the "teeth" are the closest thing we've found to biosynthetic steel. Pretty cool for just being a snail!

Wow really, incredible! Thanks for the information.

Nice pics NoGi!

So many things so see when you look closer!

• 2 months later...

Wow those shots are amazing!!!  So much beauty to be seen , with macro lenses ; )

Edited by Happy-pitbull
  • Like 1

Great pictures, they really show how beautiful even the smallest of creatures are. What kind of snails are they and do all snails have the same structure as shown or do they differ within each species. Agree with @Baccus a series of shots would be great. Well done.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zn30 said:

Great pictures, they really show how beautiful even the smallest of creatures are. What kind of snails are they and do all snails have the same structure as shown or do they differ within each species. Agree with @Baccus a series of shots would be great. Well done.

Thank you. It seems that each species have a different structure.
I think it's a kind of Malaysian or Trumpet snail.

I had a problem with planaria, 3 months ago. I treat them with Flubendazole. They disappeared, but I can't have snail anymore.
The water seems not healthy anymore for them despite the weekly 50% water change, the 2 week carbon treatment, the filtration media change...

I don't know how to remove the Flubendazole.

I'll take more shot when conditions will change

Edited by Damien

Snails are really underrated in the hobby. They have so many great characteristics when you get nice and close, not to mention all the varieties we have now.