Aqua one AR-620 Journal

wickkyjr

After a 5 year break from fish keeping. Thought I would get back into it with a shrimp tank.

Ill keep a tab on all expenses etc because I find it helpful and like to see what I spend on a tank.

Also dad has a shed full of fish gear so alot of things came from there.

AR-620- free from the shed

Sponge filters - From the shed

Schego WS3 air pump-  free from the shed

Eheim 2215- $25

Pisces iron sand 20kg-  $60 The tech den

Up aqua shrimp sand red- $50 The tech den

Ceramic shrimp breeding cave- $8 The tech den

Java moss- $5

Weeping moss- $5

SS mesh x 4 - $5

Wood- free

Shrimp are 10 yellow 5 carbon rilli and 5 blue cherry shrimp. Wanted some colour but didn't want to go to expensive as Im just starting out.

End goal is a display tank with white gloves as they are my favourite but $$$ for my liking.

Thinking of adding some CRS in soon, I see alot of micshlings which look like CBS to me. Need to read up on those.

Pictures from start until now.

Cycling with the help of some established sponge filters

tank bare.jpg

Sand and moss in. Lilly pipes in. Still deciding on what to do with the intake cover. This is just a cut up piece of foam.

tank no wood.jpg

Trying to make a nice display piece of wood out of about 10 pieces. I ended up using 3 pieces.

tank bare wood.jpg

As it sits now

Tank now.jpg

Still playing around with the wood designs etc. Also will cut the sponges out next weekend.

I have read that shrimp love a lot of air and most just use sponge filters. Are there any nice looking sponge filters on the market?

Black back ground will be applied this weekend.

Thats all for today. Any help and tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Zac

Edited by wickkyjr
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, wickkyjr said:

Shrimp are 10 yellow 5 carbon rilli and 5 blue cherry shrimp. Wanted some colour but didn't want to go to expensive as Im just starting out.

I wouldn't mix these are they will interbreed and you will lose the colours due to the off springs reverting back to their wild colouration. If you want to keep multi coloured cherries in a display tank, make sure they are all the same sex. 

Thanks mate. Yeah thinking i will split them up and just keep the blues. Was only reading the other night that it would ruin the genes.

My tds is currently at 170 would crs cbs be alright?

170 tds be ok i aim for 155. Cbs and vrs will interbreed to giving u browns 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Headed down to the coast for a 5 day holiday not sure what happened in the tank, there must of been some type of shrimp orgee going on. As I came back to 2 berried blue cherrys and 4 berried taitibee's! The taitibee have done nothing for months now all of a sudden 4!

• Like 2

Headed down to the coast for a 5 day holiday not sure what happened in the tank, there must of been some type of shrimp orgee going on. As I came back to 2 berried blue cherrys and 4 berried taitibee's! The taitibee have done nothing for months now all of a sudden 4!

It's crazy right! It's almost like they're too scared when you're 'watching' [emoji23]