Ammonia and ADA Aquasoil

NicTT

Hi guys, I’ve got a question about my ammonia levels

I set up a planted tank about 3 weeks ago using ADA aquasoil amazonia (and ADA power sand under that) that I got from Dean at Boss Aquaria (thanks Dean).

I set up the tank pretty nicely with a lot of aquatic plants and they seem to be growing nicely.

I only had issue with cloudiness for the first day and put in all the right stuff (I think) to prepare the tank. I used tap water with seachem prime (for the chlorine and heavy metals) and used TLC Start Smart for the bacteria (apparently heard really great reports about this stuff)

Initially, after about 3 days, the parameters were:

pH 6

Ammonia 8

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 80

I was expecting the high ammonia due to what I have read about the ADA aquasoil.

I have done roughly about 5 water changes of about 30-40%.

The parameters have slightly improved with

pH 6

ammonia 2

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 20

I don’t have any of the other fancy tests to look for GH and KH and all that. But was wondering if anyone can give me a few pointers on the natural progression of ammonia leeching associated with ADA aquasoil.

A few snails have popped up too but I would really like to put some shrimp in there ASAP. Too scared to try and see if they will survive in this environment

Thanks for your help guys

I'm with spare patience mate, my scape is about 3 weeks old and have probably done a dozen half water changes and I still have ammonia. Don't stress, just wait another week or so :)

if you dont have a seeded filter it is best and you should wait...