Water Filtration Systems

Filter Systems Australia

Hi everyone,

Cody from FSA.

Here at FSA we have been working on some new additions to our Aquarium Product range designed to produce a higher volume of Aquarium water at a much faster rate.

As always we are looking to the experienced SKF members to work with us in designing new and improved systems to fit the requirements and desires of not only Shrimp keepers, but Aquarium owners in general.

Filter Systems Australia is run by 'the go to man' in water filtration with over 30 years practical experience dealing with problem water scenarios and has lead the way to design and manufacture high quality, affordable filtration solutions for the retail customer. Unfortunately Shrimp keeping is not our strong point which is where all of the SKF members come into the picture. You all have the knowledge of what you want in your filtered water and its up to us to do our best to create a system that achieves the functionality you desire.

So long story short, we are looking for suggestions on what you as a shrimp keeper require from a filtration system which can range from but not limited to: Auto Shut Off, Tap Timing to control Vol/Day, Custom Solutions and water production.

We look forward to working with everyone as a community and producing some specially designed Shrimp Water filters in the near future.

As always you can find the systems at the link below, and help is only a phone call or a quick email away.

https://www.filtersystemsaustralia.com/store/index.php/reverse-osmosis-water-filter/aquarium-systems.html

Cody - Sales And Tech Support
Filter Systems Australia
[email protected]
1300 888 008

• Like 1

Perhaps a little better packaged too, by that I mean the tubes and airline hoses can look a bit messy when sprawled over your kitchen/bathroom sink. Perhaps a neater version that is easy to place and not look as so raw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishmosy said:

Auto shut off system would be good :aha-!:

We are well on the way to getting this one worked out. Unfortunately we cant convert existing systems but we may have a new line out soon

• Like 1

• HOF Member

A built in TDS or Ec meter would be handy so we know straight away if the filters need changing 

Just  wanted to add that I have bought my system through your online store and had a few questions over the last 3 years. I was very impressed by the quick response and online help .

Edited by ineke
  • Like 3

i live in fear that i wll lose the tiny little grey caps/plugs that go on the end of the outlet hoses when not in use.  i think it would be good for future customers to get a spare of those thrown in with the initial purchase :-)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ineke said:

A built in TDS or Ec meter would be handy so we know straight away if the filters need changing 

Just  wanted to add that I have bought my system through your online store and had a few questions over the last 3 years. I was very impressed by the quick response and online help .

What a great suggestion.

Currently we sell the systems with an optional add on to get our low range or multi range tds meters.

I will get to work on pricing them with built-in inline TDS meters (bear in mind, this will bump up the price of the system)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, revolutionhope said:

i live in fear that i wll lose the tiny little grey caps/plugs that go on the end of the outlet hoses when not in use.  i think it would be good for future customers to get a spare of those thrown in with the initial purchase :-)

This often annoys me haha. What about if it wasn't caps but plastic valves that can be opened or closed? Also, if those valves had some sort of clip on feature. I often find myself trying to get the hose in the right place so it's sitting at the top of bucket when filling up. Even a suction cup could be attached to where the valve is. Cheap and easy fix :)

Edited by neo-2FX
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2016 at 10:49 AM, Filter Systems Australia said:

So long story short, we are looking for suggestions on what you as a shrimp keeper require from a filtration system which can range from but not limited to: Auto Shut Off, Tap Timing to control Vol/Day, Custom Solutions and water production.

On 1/19/2016 at 0:50 PM, Filter Systems Australia said:

We are well on the way to getting this one worked out. Unfortunately we cant convert existing systems but we may have a new line out soon

@Filter Systems Australia

Hi Cody, do you have any update on auto shut off and tap timing to control Vol/Day? I am keen to order one asap but holding out to hear about this. Thanks!

Edited by jc12

@Filter Systems Australia

Hey Cody,

It's great that you guys are asking for suggestions. I have a few.

I have the  GT1-70DIALK model. Others here might also have the GT1-70DI model.

It's time for cartridge replacement soon. But I find it difficult to locate the correct replacement cartridges on the web site.

You have the following replacement cartridges on the page for the GT1-70DIALK, but it's added to the the Whole RO unit. I don't need a whole new unit, just need the cartridges.

Would You Like Replacement Filters?

Pre Filter (6 Months) +$15.00

DI Resin Refill Only (Life may Vary) +$14.95

12 Month Pack (Including Resin +$59.95

Full Pack (All Filters) +$99.99

1. It would be useful for us newbies, if FSA could provide a link to purchase replacements easier:

Pre-filter

Di Resin

or All Filters.

2. Provide an explanation on what is included in the 12 month pack?

3. Provide an explanation on what is included in the Full pack? What if I only want the DI Resin replacement, cause that usually expires first. Give us an option to repurchase single replacement cartridges or a full set to replace the existing. Right now it's too hard to locate the right parts. 

4. If replacement cartridges are provided, instructions on how to replace it would be very, very helpful too.

5. If DI Resin refills are sold, then instructions on how to refill would be helpful as well. Step by step for each Aquarium RO model  and with pictures for us dummies. What do we do with the old resin?

6. I know you also sell TDS and pH meters. 

I was in the market for some pH pen storage solution. The options for getting it is either a hydroponics store or make my own.

I resorted to making my own - which is probably not the most precise. 

It would be good if you guys stocked pH pen storage solutions. 

7. You already have pH 7.0 buffer solution. pH 4 buffer solution is more useful for us Aquarist. It would be good to add this to your stock. 250ml bottles are a good size.

8. In regards to the TDS solution 342ppm you guys already stock, I suggest providing a smaller, cheaper bottle for hobbyist who don't use much. TDS pens don't need recalibration very often, so 250ml of TDS solution @ $20 is kinda overkill. A 100ml bottle at $10 is way more than required. A 50ml bottle at $5 also much more than needed, but I would get it without even batting an eyelid at that price. 

Almost every single shrimp keeper on SKF has a TDS meter. But not a lot of us have recalibrated their TDS meter because 1) TDS calibration solution is difficult to find, and 2) when we find it, it comes in a bottle way to large and costs equally as large.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 4

Hey Jayc,

Some very good points that you have mentioned.

-As our website is fairly new, there have been some speed bumps in transferring stock from our eBay store to our new website which has caused several headaches.

-As for the replacement packs, they can be found under water filter cartridges --> Filter packs and combos
https://www.filtersystemsaustralia.com/store/index.php/water-filter-cartridges/replacement-combo-packs/replacement-pack-for-reverse-osmosis-aquarium-and-drinking-water-6-1-6-18ls-5-12.html

That is the full pack.

-I will work on integrating direct links into the listings for easy navigation to the required replacement filters.

-Replacement of DI is usually straight forward, discard the expired media. give the empty housing a wash/hose out to release any expired DI. Using a sanitiser to clean the housing is also good practice (rinse before use).

The cannister can then be re-filled with the new DI resin (Helpful tip: when the DI begins to expire and the TDS begins to climb, give the cartridge a shake to stir it up and you can get up to 2 weeks more out of it while you wait for replacement DI)

pH pen storage fluid may be something we need to discuss with our supplier.

-pH buffer 4, again something we can look to order in, thankyou for this information.

-TDS solution, I am not sure if we can get anything smaller than this, freight becomes an issue for the price but I will enquire with the supplier.

Thank you very much for your insights, I will take this all on board and when I am able to, implement them into the product listings.

Regards, Cody

1 hour ago, Filter Systems Australia said:

The cannister can then be re-filled with the new DI resin (Helpful tip: when the DI begins to expire and the TDS begins to climb, give the cartridge a shake to stir it up and you can get up to 2 weeks more out of it while you wait for replacement DI)

Nice tip!!

Thank you. Now I know for sure this is the right replacement parts.

-TDS solution, I am not sure if we can get anything smaller than this, freight becomes an issue for the price but I will enquire with the supplier.

Appreciate you trying with your supplier. You can tell your supplier that this is the reality. You will get more sales out of us if the bottle was smaller and cheaper. You want to catch people who are curious to know if their TDS meter is measuring accurately. At $20, for calibration fluid, it is more expensive than some people's TDS meters! 

You are free to run a poll here on SKF.

The reality is that we only need to recalibrate TDS meters once every couple of years at the most. And you don't need much calibration fluid to do that. So getting a 250ml bottle is, in my thrifty mind, a waste of funds. 

This is the same for pH storage solution, if you ever stock it, the bottle doesn't need to be bigger than 100ml. You don't need to use much.

pH buffers on the other hand is used every time the pH meter is used. So the reality here is that a user will go through it much faster. Buying a 250ml bottle here makes sense and is economical.

I will take this all on board and when I am able to, implement them into the product listings.

Thanks. It's refreshing to see a vendor being proactive and taking the time to listen to customers.

Edited by jayc

• HOF Member

I'm about to change my DI resin for the first time having only recently added the resin cartridge to my system- 6 months ago. Is there some information on how to do this please?. 

58 minutes ago, ineke said:

I'm about to change my DI resin for the first time having only recently added the resin cartridge to my system- 6 months ago. Is there some information on how to do this please?. 

Have not done this myself yet.  But I imagine it to be as simple as unscrewing the lid of the cartridge,  prong the old resin out,  and pouring the new resin back in.  Screw the lid back on. DI resin are little granules a bit like purigen or macropore.

Cody can correct me if this is not accurate. 

• HOF Member

Thanks Jayc I thought when I tried to check it that it was in a membrane not loose. I will have to take it off and have another look. When I say "I" it's my hubby who looks after this for me! LOL poor thing he is at my beck and call with anything outside the scope of shrimp and tanks'

Ineke i have just replaced the resin in the chamber on my system, it is really easy, there is no membrane except for a small cover over the internal entry of chamber. Remove this, hose out the old resin, flush out the chamber and refill. can be a bit messy getting the new resin in chamber,just use a funnel with a large outlet that fits as a small outlet will continually block, the resin does not pour loosely but clumps together, at least it did in my case.  Hope all is well at your end.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shrimp Aqua said:

Ineke i have just replaced the resin in the chamber on my system, it is really easy, there is no membrane except for a small cover over the internal entry of chamber. Remove this, hose out the old resin, flush out the chamber and refill. can be a bit messy getting the new resin in chamber,just use a funnel with a large outlet that fits as a small outlet will continually block, the resin does not pour loosely but clumps together, at least it did in my case.  Hope all is well at your end.

Nail on the head right here.

• HOF Member

Thank you I will get on to it in the next day or 2 and let you know how I get on.

Spoke to Cody yesterday. After too many questions about auto shut off, tap timers, etc. I have a RO unit on order. Hopefully it will get to me tomorrow.

Thanks Cody for answering thousand of my questions. Folks, give them a call if you're in the market for one.

I have been using rainwater (TDS 27-29 consistently) for my shrimp tanks but with breeding discus, I run out of rainwater rather quickly so let's see that I put the RO unit to good use.

Just a heads up,

I'll be on annual leave from the 13th until the 29th so I won't be able to monitor SKF.

If you have any questions you can always call 1300 888 008 between 8AM->4:30PM and speak to one of our staff. Alternatively respond on here and I'll get back to everyone when I'm back in the office.

Thanks, Everyone

Just a heads up,

I'll be on annual leave from the 13th until the 29th so I won't be able to monitor SKF.

If you have any questions you can always call 1300 888 008 between 8AM->4:30PM and speak to one of our staff. Alternatively respond on here and I'll get back to everyone when I'm back in the office.

Thanks, Everyone

On 08/02/2016 at 3:36 PM, jayc said:

The reality is that we only need to recalibrate TDS meters once every couple of years at the most. And you don't need much calibration fluid to do that. So getting a 250ml bottle is, in my thrifty mind, a waste of funds. 

PS on the topic of TDS, I have been in contact with our supplier. Due to us being an online retail store and relying on shipping, the price of the TDS solution would not significantly drop with a 100mL which will mean that you could get the 250mL for roughly the same price. Shipping is the killer unfortunately so we are unable to get anything smaller. We tried but couldn't do it unfortunately :giving-up: