DemonCat and his Tank

DemonCat

Sorry to hear.

Sounds like NTD then if 3 weeks worth of treatments yielded no cure.

2 hours ago, jayc said:

Sorry to hear.

Sounds like NTD then if 3 weeks worth of treatments yielded no cure.

I thought it was just finrot to start with, until the ulcers and bent spines started occuring :(

Will eventually replace with dwarf copper rasboras or ember tetras.

Edited by DemonCat

• 4 weeks later...

Got some dwarf copper rasboras to replace the neons I removed. I still have a few neons I couldnt catch, and will keep a very close eye on them. 

Update photos:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick photo update. 

I think I am down to two oto's - I have not seen three at the same time for a month or so :(

fish8jan17.jpg

• 3 months later...

Had the house to myself today so did a big water test, water change, filter clean etc .

pH - 7.4ish
Ammonia - either 0 or less than 0.25 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrte - between 0 and 5 ppm

Photos to come.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

After two months of neglect, I gave the tank its first proper look at an subsequent clean today. 

Had to pull out about 30 stems of native java fern. Still need another big clean and water change next weekend to get back on top of it all. 

Unfortuantely I have a smattering of black beard algae. 

Anyway, looking forward to getting back into this. 

• 1 month later...

For those interested, I have some sad news!

I am shutting down this tank, and as such will be selling stock and plants. 

The good news is that I have just purchased a house, so will be setting this up again in a few months time once we settle and renovate. Massive overhaul to take place, and plan to give a low-tech iwagumi style tank a shot. Will also include a refresh to the stand, chuck on some doors etc... paint. jazz the whole set up. 

Will start a new thread in due course. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh, and this was it in its final form (almost, as I separated the bolbotis into about 4-5 little plants)

VmExJWM.jpg

1 minute ago, jayc said:

Looking forward to your new adventures.

Me too! I hav an idea in my head... I have certainly learned alot through this process and my first proper tank, so looking forward to applying everything I have been able to learn from you all!

Firstly, DO NOT RUSH when planning and scaping! I am no good at the messy jungle look so looking forward to an iwagumi style. 

• 6 months later...

So we moved house again (for the last time hopefully - we purchased a house) but we did a complete gut and renovation and I just didn’t have the time to care for the tank.

Sold the three footer and now have a simple 30l tank picked up at petbarn. Kept the drift wood, bolbotis, narrow leaf java and some java moss.

Shrimp are happy enough but am not noticing the colony growing. Can’t seem to find many of the bigger guys but have lots of mid sized and juvies.

Not giving it much care apart from a water change once a fortnight and throwing in the odd almond leaf or pellets.

Will give them a bit of carrot or zucchini tomorrow and take a few snaps. Looking to get back into it a bit more now we are fully bedded in the new house.

One day I will go back out to a 3 footer or similar but for the time being this will have to do.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So some pics of the tank currently. Big water change and clean today.

A bit of a jungle. About 20 adult shrimp. Have not seen any juvies for a whole. This is still from the original 20-30 I had going back two years. Will look to get some more to vary up the gene pool!

Anyone have any ideas of what else I could chuck in this 25 litre set up?

photos are from an old iPhone so not great quality.

https://ibb.co/jNc5m7
https://ibb.co/fOBWR7
https://ibb.co/hbiNYn

Edited by DemonCat
  • Like 1