Breeding in a nano?

NoGi

How successful are people with shrimp breeding in a nano tank for things like selective breeding programs?

I've got a 15ish litre arm and thinking of getting a 30l cause they look pretty cool. Lol

17b6c2fa35d2f1de0187b4b9b253789b.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not sure what size tanks are defined as a nano. My black cherries breed well in a 38L Aqua One Ecostyle 47.

Started with 8 about 6 months ago and now probably about 40-60 at a rough estimate.

As long as you keep your parameters stable you should have no problem.

Smallest tank I've had success in was 18 l (your chocs actually)!

It's New Zealand Iron Sand. Come to think of it, probably should have checked if it was safe for shrimp. If not, guess the Endlers will go in it.

It's New Zealand Iron Sand. Come to think of it, probably should have checked if it was safe for shrimp. If not, guess the Endlers will go in it.

@fishmosy using it for cherry's here..but no long term report: http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/9880-bloody-mary-tank

Yep seems to be going well but I only have a thin layer and the snails keep it turned over. Not sure if it compacts like other sands if kept differently. 

The other thing is, because it is an inert substrate, keep a close eye on water parameters. I've been too spoilt using buffering substrates in other tanks!

Edited by fishmosy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/11/2015 at 5:02 PM, NoGi said:

Currently cycling

811b2db0aaacfba341ddc7da0a09ad63.jpg

Neat looking tank! Looks alot like the Fluval Flex

• 6 months later...

I have had great success with a 30L (~8 gal.) nano with red cherries and black cherries in it. It was my first shrimp tank so I even had some rookie mistakes (inert gravel, etc.) Lots of breeding and interbreeding ? 

I've breed red, yellow and blue in a 16 ltr tank, started august 2018 and have it since, first time in keeping shrimps. I've had my up's and down's, but everything is stable, I have a yellow with eggs and babies ATM, and it's the second batch, a blue had one batch of egg and became babies and the blue died afterwards, but their babies are does well, and a few of them already have babies swimming around, and the second batch of babies are starting to swim yesterday.

I started my Taiwan Bees in a 15L (probably 12L useable space as had built in rear everything) and within 6 months went from about 10 adults to also having about 100 babies, so then set up a 35L dennerle tank (28L of water) which is also doing (too) well, regularly having to cull as too many shrimps, though I suspect they are having a winter break as not seen any new new babies in a while (sigh of relief)!