Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum)

Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum), like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. RO - DIY mix to include KH rise

TDS, KH an GH is almost perfect. But pH is high. Is your pH pen calibrated? Did you test pH of the water before adding the mix? How much water did you add to the bottle with the mix in it? 500ml? Try adding more pure RO into the bottle to dilute it. 20gm of CaCO3 might be too much, try reducing it to say 15gm for your next batch. The white cloudy liquid is normal and won't be an issue in a tank.
  3. Yesterday
  4. My mulberry tree currently has a glut of fruit, so much so all the wild birds, fruit bats and even my dogs have no hope of eating all the fruit. So I was wondering if anyone had given mulberry fruit to their shrimp/ fish. If so was it better to give them fresh or has anyone tried drying them? I have no idea which exact breed of mulberry I have but the fruit starts off white but gets gradually pink to dark purple when overripe. Before anyone says its a standard mulberry the fruit even when very dark does not stain. I also have a true white mulberry where the fruit starts off white and when ripe goes a solid deep white. I often give my shrimp leaves from both mulberrys but have never tried them on the actual fruit before.
  5. RO - DIY mix to include KH rise

Hi Jayc, I’ve mixed together the formula above, and didn’t quite get the results I was expecting.. So, this is the CaCO3 I’m using : Which created this white liquid: All seemed to mix together nicely and nothing appeared to be left over not dissolved.. However, I added 1ml to 1l of RO and the water turned and stayed cloudy: I continued to test anyway to give an idea of the final parameters, so TDS 160 GH 8 KH 2 Ph (pen) 9 Liquid (NT Lab) 8 - see below... Have I messed something up in this mix or is it wrong type of CaCO3 as that is the only difference between the two mixes.. Is the cloudy water due to the Calcium? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Welcome john86

SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) welcomes john86. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  7. Last week
  8. Great article!! @fishmosy, I was wondering, how long do the offspring tend to stay in the floating larval stage after hatching?
  9. Unfortunately those are not eggs. Put her in quarantine immediately however, as this is Ellobiopsidae, and is contagious. Here are a couple of posts that might be helpful. Firstly our SKFA Shrimp diseases database, and another post on Elliosiopsidae. However, there are no confirmed cures but there are some you can try.
  10. Help Cherry Red Shrimp w/ green eggs??

Was mistaken, see answer below.
  11. You invested a good bit of money into your iPad mini, not to mention the amount of time you have spent loading it up with all of your data. It’s a valuable piece of equipment, and the last thing you want is to have it damaged. However, sometimes, gravity can work against you, and drops […] The post Targus 3D Protective Case for All iPad mini (THZ595GL) Reviewed appeared first on GeekLingo. View the full article
  12. Do I need to place her in quarantine? I just saw her today… Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Platinum DAS

Hey @Grubs, any update on these guys?
  14. Welcome mdnorazmi

SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) welcomes mdnorazmi. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  15. RO - DIY mix to include KH rise

Good news! Calcium carbonate arrived today.. so going to mix on Saturday, so will post the results.. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Breeding towards blues

Just a quick update, still getting alot of mixed results of the chocs mainly blues, blacks, and browns (still no reds, but is probably only a matter of time). I do however have a hypothesis that i plan to test, that i hope will result in something a bit more stable. At this stage i only have about two shrimp that match my criteria, so hopefully i will get a few more soon, and then start selective breeding from there. I plan to keep you all informed as i progress, hopefully my hypothesis pans out.
  17. Welcome cdaJiv

SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) welcomes cdaJiv. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  18. Welcome jclee

SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) welcomes jclee. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  19. Welcome Timbakto

Thanks for the membership, looking forward to learn more about shrimps and get some help for my novice questions Here a little pic of my set up more will come on my profile :-)
  20. Welcome Timbakto

SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) welcomes Timbakto. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  21. Beautiful Taiwan Pinto

Great New Specie of Pinto, with beautiful color on the back and head, please visit our website at www.aj-aqua.com.
  22. Great New Specie of Pinto, with beautiful color on the back and head, please visit our website at www.aj-aqua.com. View full article
  23. RO - DIY mix to include KH rise

Keep it UP TO 200. They might survive higher TDS levels but I don't want to recommend it as a normal practice.
  24. Flow and impact on algae

Thanks for the input ! What I'm really keen to find out is does anyone know how/ if flow can affect the proliferation of hair/string algae ? I can't figure out how to stop it growing lately it's overwhelming many of my alkaline tanks and I just wondered if the very high flow rate of my sponge filters was the cause somehow. Love and peace Will
  25. Princess Abby

Please welcome into the world :-) These are the cutest little baby critters I've seen. Already bigger than some shrimp I've purchased too :-) Love and peace Will
  26. RO - DIY mix to include KH rise

Okay, I have ordered a small pack from online and will let you know of the test results once it arrives :-) Is that up to 200 or can they reach 250 type level, but not recommended? They are going to be Blue Velvet Shrimps as they are my favourite. :-)
  27. Long Haired Hippie Snail

I think yours might be a little more Punk Rocker LOL
  1. Load more activity