All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Cesar

Plant turning brown

Yep, definitely a picture would help tremendously, if we could at least identify the plant, do you know the name of the plant that is turning brown?
  3. jayc

Plant turning brown

What plant is it? A picture of the problem would be helpful too. How heavily planted is the tank? This gives us an indication of whether the tank is exhausted of nutrients. Flourish is a micro nutrient. The nutrients it provides is only needed in micro amounts. A plant will live a long time if no micro nutrients are added to the tank. Flourish Excel is an alternate carbon source. So what seems to be missing is Macro nutrients. That is, nutrients that are needed in large amounts. If I was to take a guess without seeing the issue, this is where I would focus on for a resolution. A plant will turn yellow and die very quickly if no Macro nutrients are added to a closed system like a fish tank. Depending on the type of plant, it could be lacking Potassium, or maybe Nitrogen, if the plant is turning yellow. Just be aware that adding Potassium and nitrogen for plants will alter water parameters. So if you have shrimp or sensitive fish, you might want to adjust how much is added.
  4. Yesterday
  5. I got a new plant like 2 weeks ago. All my other plants are thriving, but this one seems to be dying. Lots turning yellowish/ brown from the bottom up and it just keeps getting larger patches going up. I have the lights on for about 8 hours a day. Use flourish/ flourish excel once a week. PH 7. Any ideas?
  6. If you can get one of these where you are it is probably the best all round for quietness and sufficient 'as it is' for your quarantine tank, there is a great video attached, you probably won't want the air line if you want quietness though! If you watch the video you may find you can replace the supplied sponge with an already used bacteria full sponge if you have one available, otherwise if you put the supplied new sponge in an existing tank for a couple of weeks (just float it in the tank) to get bacteria into it? This will slightly delay getting the fish, assuming you haven't already got them........ You may be able to get one of these on your local ebay or amazon? https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/internal-filters/2104-aquael-pat-mini-filter-5905546137997.html Simon
  7. Sponge filters can be noisy if not set up properly.... one method of quieting some (depending on style) is to put an air stone at the base of the sponge filter, making smaller bubbles. Another method is to have the 'out-take' of the sponge filter just above the waters surface. It still makes noise, it's just quieter. In the bird world, a minimum of 30 days is recommended for quarantine (which is hard for most people to do effectively), although up to 90 days can also be recommended. I know that one shrimp supplier does 30 day quarantine for new imported shrimp. I don't know if there's a standard set in the fish world.... but I have both quarantined fish and not quarantined fish. The fish I quarantined I struggled to keep alive, but not quarantining them didn't guarantee survival either... I only have shrimp tanks now, although I did add fish to one of those tanks, without quarantine. No other fish in there so no 'real' reason to quarantine, even though I did source the fish from two separate locations (just because first option only had 2 and they do better in groups). I *think* they are doing fine, but they are a species known for hiding and don't usually all come out at once so hard to say for sure.
  8. Sorry to hear you have lost a shrimp. How many are there left in the tank? I wouldn't act to hastily and start treating for something that may not be? Maybe it just died and you will never know why if it had no symptoms? Just keep a close eye on the rest for now! Maybe the BKK weren't very healthy to start with if they hadn't grown as expected, though also there may not have been sufficient food, but that is less likely if the others in the tank have grown! I would feed the shrimps as the grazing area is fairly limited (I assume this is your 80L divided into 4) but sparingly, maybe twice a week. Crush up a pellet into almost a powder, then dip a pin or similar a couple of mm in the water, then into the food, then back in to the tank will give them something different to eat to supplement their diet. I would check the temperature of the water as well as when my old setup overheated they started going an orange/pink colour? It is good that you obviously spend time watching them as they are fascinating to watch and very calming! Simon
  9. Perfect. I've got a spare heater, can source a tank and filtration, have cycled media, and have a simple light if ambient light isn't enough. Pretty random question - are sponge filters super noisy? I've never used one with an air pump, and the qt tank would go in my bedroom; but only if I could actually sleep 🙂. Otherwise, is it cool to turn off a filter at night? Cheers
  10. Usually a week or two should be enough with careful observation to see if any symptoms develop. No. But it depends on the filtration. If you use a mature filter, then you don't need to cycle a quarantine tank for very long. I just use the water from my water change to fill a quarantine tank. And some old filter media floss from a mature filter in the quarantine tank's canister. The quarantine tank is very basic, no decor, no substrate, nothing. Except maybe some lights to check for diseases after a week or two. You can get away with lights, and use a hand held torch even. Just a heater.
  11. Last week
  12. Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it! As for the details, the tank is my 110L community, and while none of my fish are especially expensive or special, but I don’t want to lose any or have to rescape. The reason I was hoping to avoid qt is bc I don’t have a spare tank or filter atm. I think I will qt I think. How long should I do it for, and do I need to cycle the tank very long?
  13. Hello folks, This is in regards to my TB tank that has had shrimp for about 2 months now. The shrimp came in two batches from different vendors - one was two BKK and the other was a bunch of RWP and BB. Everything was going well for about 2 months with the shrimps actively grazing around and suddenly I found one of the BKK dead and upright in a corner of the tank. I usually do a check-up on the shrimp every day and the only time the shrimp are inert is one day before and after a molt. In the past when I had shrimp die for various reasons they would be inert for a few days prior. The water parameters are the same as usual: Amm/NO2/NO3 = 0, ph = 6.0 or a little lower, GH 5, TDS 110 Using RO + SS GH+ and I did a 15% water change 2 days ago, dripping in the new water. I haven't fed any pellet shrimp food for a while because there are still lots of patches of algae in the tank, plus one IAL, plus they finished off a mulberry leaf 2 days ago. Nothing looks odd on the dead body of this shrimp (no real color loss) except the clear parts like antennae and tip of tail are a little orange. (I think this is typical of shrimp that have died? Or a molt shell once you remove it from the water and expose it to air.) The only odd things about this shrimp are that in the 2 months, it molted a few times but never grew much (or at all) over the original 1/2" size. About a month ago, the white parts of it started turning blue. The other BKK that came at the same time also either hasn't grown at all or maybe just a tiny bit, and only has little patches of blue. The other batch of shrimp from a different breeder (RWP and BB) have grown significantly over this time. Anyway, the rest of the shrimp seem to still be doing well and actively grazing. (Actually, two are acting quiet, but it is still within the pre-molt time frame) I hope it's not bacterial infection, but what can I do to prevent / prepare? I have available: Dr Tim's Eco balance, Doxycycline (fish med), oregano oil, melafix, H2O2.
  14. I agree with JayC and have N|EVER quarantined personally, but there is also something a little more to consider. My setups are small and simple/basic and don't have many fish - all about 30L max! If you have spent a lot of time and money setting up a beautiful tank, cycling it etc and then you introduce fish with some sort of disease or parasite you will need to TREAT the tank or may even have to re-setup the tank, if you put those sick fish in it so not only will you lose the fish you may have wasted a lot of time and money, and may have to completely start again from scratch, and never be 100% confident it/they won't recur. You may have to cycle etc again, buy new stuff depending on what the treatment was etc? I would say if you have a small bare bottom tank with a spare filter WHY not quarantine for the peace of mind? I am aware of course that I am being hypocritical in saying this..............................so just a thought! Simon
  15. If they are the first inhabitants in a tank, then not needed. Beyond that, it's difficult to answer as it is a personal choice. we never value the quarantine process, until we REALLY need it, by the time we find out, it's too late. And we always wish we had quarantined. If it was me, my thought process goes like this ... i ask myself, do I already have inhabitants in the tank that are so rare and precious that I absolutely CANNOT loose due to disease? If the answer is Yes, than I quarantine any new tank inhabitants - fish or plants.
  16. Hey all. So, I'm getting some cory cats in the near future, and I want to know if I need to quarantine them. I know a guy at my lfs really well, and I trust the store, so I might be able to get them to hold and quarantine them for me for a week. I'd prefer to just add them straight to the tank if it's possible though. If not, then I can sort a qt tank soon. Thanks in advance
  17. Jay_Walker

Crayfish Molt Question

I used to work at the New England aquarium, and we would keep lobster and crab molts all the time for educational purposes. The sooner you can pull the molt from the tank the better. Place the molt on a paper towel and then just leave in a dry, well-ventilated area away from prying hands or paws. Sometimes it's good to place the paper towel and molt in an uncovered Tupperware dish to protect it a little more. In a couple days the connective tissue between joints, etc. will be dry and hard enough to have locked your molt in whatever position you placed it in. Obviously it is extremely fragile, but it is a super cool keepsake! I have also had success doing this with smaller molts like cleaner and fire shrimp. Do not try this with deceased animals, unless you are trying to get rid of roommates, as the stench will clear the house 🙂
  18. sdlTBfanUK

Hello, I'm new here.

Had a quick look in my book and it looks to be the Florida (everglades) blue crayfish (Procambarus alleni) and looks like a male. They grow to 4 inches (body) and if they breed the young will predate on each other if not separated as they moult frequently when young! Ph 7.5-8.0 and temp 64-81F ideally! They will eat plants except Java fern and crypts. As with Crabclaw, would love to see the fish as well. Simon
  19. Crabby

Hello, I'm new here.

I think the only ones are Mexican dwarf crays. Welcome Andrew! Could u post a photo of the fish so we can ID them?
  20. sdlTBfanUK

Hello, I'm new here.

Welcome! Wow, that is some blue, I wonder whether it is a native Florida Crayfish? I don't think you can keep shrimp with crayfish, but I could be wrong on that. Simon
  21. jayc

Hello, I'm new here.

Oh ! so that is your crayfish's name, not yours!
  22. Zoidburg

Hello, I'm new here.

Stunning! Quite the vibrant blue! Welcome to SKFA! :)
  23. Sawyer

Hello, I'm new here.

Ello, I'm Andrew, I mostly joined this forum out of curiosity and to ask the question about preserving my crayfish moult, but thought I'd introduce myself. I have a tank with a blue crayfish, Sawyer. He's big guy, and he's got a lot of personality. He's in the tank with four fish tank mates, all of which don't bother him at all, and are all very sweet fish. I'm not certain of the species of the fish, though, the guy that was getting rid of them didn't even know what he had in his tank. I'll post some photos of my big guy for you all. I'd add shrimp to my tank, but there's already a nice balance where Sawyer's not eating anyone, and I don't wish to mess it up, you know? Nice to meet you all. xx
  24. Sawyer

Crayfish Molt Question

Aha I figured, I couldn't find anything online. Thanks anyway. xx
  25. jayc

Crayfish Molt Question

You're on your own there. No one I know has attempted to keep the moult of a shrimp or crayfish.
  26. Sawyer

Crayfish Molt Question

Thank you! I asked my boyfriend about it, an he thought I was right creepy for wanting to keep it haha. Thank you! So, drying just means leaving it out of water till it's not wet, right? There's nothing else I should do to make it not rot?
  27. Zoidburg

Crayfish Molt Question

I don't see how that's weird or creepy at all! Yeah, it's pretty cool! Shrimp molts usually don't hold up well once dried, but then again, I'm talking small shrimp.... larger shrimp or crays I imagine the molts should hold together better once dried and handled carefully!
  1. Load more activity