All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. christiesternerz

Welcome christiesternerz

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes christiesternerz. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  3. Subtlefly

replacement water filtration

Ok thanks all, sdlTBfanUK I ended up buying the zero water 23 cup filter with the free TDS meter. I will test my watertank water and hopefully be using this (at the moment we only really use this on the garden), but now I have an emergency source of water for the aquarium in case we have an extended dry period. I got a couple of extra filters so this should do fine for me in an emergency. Maybe when we renovate the kitchen at some time in the future I will look into a legit RO system. Thanks for all of your help team! sub
  4. Yesterday
  5. jayc

The Brita filters "reduce" but doesn't completely remove chlorine, and other minerals. Its okay for drinking but still lacking for aquariums. multi stage cartridge undersink filters are also designed for human consumption, and one of the stages is to add alkalinity back into the water, since drinking water below pH 7.0 will be bad for your teeth. You want to look for an RO filter that gives you the option of turning on/off this alkalinity stage if you want a system that is both for an aquarium and for human consumption. Check out Filters System Australia https://www.filtersystemsaustralia.com.au/reverse-osmosis-water-filter/aquarium-systems.html. Ring them and talk to them if you can't find exactly what you want. They are very helpful.
  6. Hey guys, ive being think about this for a while, but BICON makes it seem so difficult and confusing to import freshwater plants from other countries into Australia. Has anyone done this before and know all the nooks and crannies? Im also not too sure about import permit costs, and the inspections and how they work. Could anyone show me a simple step by step guide to importing aquatic plants? thanks
  7. andrew.huang083

Welcome andrew.huang083

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes andrew.huang083. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  8. Imstupid52

Welcome Imstupid52

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes Imstupid52. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  9. sdlTBfanUK

I tried Brita JUG (and still have it) but it didn't work for the shrimp (It did reduce TDS but not much), though I was keeping Caridina shrimp. I would say don't bother wasting tme with other makes as you don't really know what they remove so just get the zerowater and you know it produces RO equivalent water and removes probably ALL things bad for shrimps. It is meant for human consumption but I am not convinced such pure water is ideal for humans except for hydration during excercise maybe?? As you plan to keep cherry shrimp you could try it but I would try just a few shrimp in a bowl for a few days to a week first. If the brita doesn't filter out something like copper (? just an example) or other toxic to shrimp things then you don't want to have contaminated the soil/tank etc. It may even be a better idea to get both, the brita for personal use and the zerowater just for the tank, https://www.amazon.com.au/ZeroWater-10-Cup-Pitcher-Filtration-System/dp/B0073PZ6O0 I just found this when I did a search for 'zerowater australia' that will show you the difference, just look at the 'which water filter is best?' page: https://www.yourbestdigs.com/reviews/zerowater-vs-brita/#which-is-best Simon
  10. Subtlefly

So you can do it just through fine filtration? How would zero water co compare to something like this or even multi stage cartridge undersink filter you think? https://www.bunnings.com.au/brita-filtered-water-tap_p5090423 I am trying to figure out what is best for human drinking as well as fishtank but maybe this is two different things? thanks for your wisdom, have a great day sub
  11. sdlTBfanUK

I use tap water through this jug and it produces the same as RO water, TDS 000 hence the name They are readily obtainable around the world (amazon, ebay and some countries UK/USA in shops) and cheap enough. They are slow to filter though so probably not practical for a very large tank. You could start with one though and if everything goes to plan with the tank then get a full RO down the line. Each filter does about 100L of MY water. https://zerowater.co.uk/?variant=48184661572 You will need to re-mieralise the water with GH/KH+ as you would with RO water! Simon
  12. Subtlefly

Hi team, So more (possibly dumb) questions. As I have explained in other posts we have a concrete tank under our house for rainwater - I am going to test the parameters of this water before any use in shrimp tank.. but say I want my family to have filtered water - if I put in an undersink two or three stage cartridge filter (lets say ceramic and carbon) to filter the tap water - is this good enough for use in a tank - do you really need to go to the extent of an RO system? Thanks for you insight and have a great day sub
  13. Blazepelt

Design ideas

I recently did a simple scape in my 5 gallon shrimp tank just using spiderwood and the result is awesome I don’t have any shrimp in the tank yet but there’s loads of nooks and point on the driftwood that shrimp can sit on and pick off. I think with the shallow tank some emerging wood with moss growing on it would look awesome. And then some small rocks where the wood comes out of the substrate. Maybe 3 or 4 for each price of wood. Then I used a dark inert substrate sand that’s quite coarse which means I can still clean it without sucking it all up. And as for growing plants often shrimp don’t require hard to keep plants but if you do want to keep some fancier root feeders just grab some root tabs. B I recently did a simple scape in my 5 gallon shrimp tank just using spiderwood and the result is awesome I don’t have any shrimp in the tank yet but there’s loads of nooks and point on the driftwood that shrimp can sit on and pick off. I think with the shallow tank some emerging wood with moss growing on it would look awesome. And then some small rocks where the wood comes out of the substrate. Maybe 3 or 4 for each price of wood. Then I used a dark inert substrate sand that’s quite coarse which means I can still clean it without sucking it all up. And as for growing plants often shrimp don’t require hard to keep plants but if you do want to keep some fancier root feeders just grab some root tabs. B Whoops did it twice.
  14. sdlTBfanUK

Design ideas

Just a word of advice for someone who has spent decades on this planet! In my experience trying to cut corners with cost NEVER pays off in the long term. You end up with inferior quality and not what you really want and will probably niggle you every time you look at it. With something as beautiful as you are planning it is worth paying extra if there is something you really want and then you will be happier with the result and probably save money/time anyway as you won't want to change it later! The rock is going to be the main item in the tank visually so don't sully it by getting anything you REALLY want as you will be looking at it everyday! I have lava rock but it isn't very pretty or inspiring, I got it just for the variety/unusual appearance, and that it doesn't alter PH as I was planning on Caridina! Simon
  15. Subtlefly

Design ideas

Yeh I think these Bonsai trees are really nice but wife says a hard no, she thinks they are naff (not her exact term).. so that one is off the list. I know that having the tank is a long term thing and I will probably be able to try out many variations as I go, but I am keen to try to really end up with something that is super cool and attracts attention to be able to sit and look at it for a long time at a stretch and find things to appreciate. I like the idea of the simplicity of an iwagami scape, but I know this is easier said than done. Also I really want to have some crags and holes for shrimp and other things to hide and have cover- so crags and some splits between the rocks should be good and look great. One thing the tank maker said is that these shallow tanks are particularly made for emergent scapes - where the rocks or wood breaks the surface.. Also if there is a way to get good looking hardscape on the cheap? I have found an Australian store in Brisbane that will let you pick your own Seiryu stone and pay for it by the kilo - sounds like they have a huge pile that you can rat through.. $6.00 a kilo if you get more than 20kg... but it would make me happy if i could find a sneaky alternative from a landscaping place or some other tricky alternative- Bundaberg has heaps of volcanic stone laying around (there are piles of it next to every agricultural field that has been pulled out and put aside over time) - but I wonder if all the bubble holes in the volcanic stones would mess with the sense of scale - not the same I think as a really nice aquascaping stone? What do you guys think?
  16. Last week
  17. jayc

Parasite infection heeeelp

It's definitely ellobiopsidae. Our own Diseases and Diagnostics thread, that Simon linked, has a post all about it including possible treatment. Ellobiopsidae is highly contagious. So remove any shrimp you see with it immediately into a quarantine tank. Not many known cures, but Formalin/Malachite treatments seem to have the best possibility of killing it.
  18. jayc

Design ideas

I've always like Iwagumi style scapes. So I'm partial to idea #1. It suits your tank as well, being shallow. Have you seen Bonsai moss trees for aquariums? Those root driftwood can look really good in a tank. Just got to get the right size for scale.
  19. sdlTBfanUK

Here are a couple of vids, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-FhLa3gl5o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfFyDb5o4iA It would be worth trying the salt treatment, or malachite green. I have 'Waterlife fin rot and ulcers' treatment that I got from ProShrimp, that definitely has malachite green in it and may work, though they may sell something 'malachite green' on its own? Here is a link to their treatments, lots, https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=treatment&submit_search= Always treat seperately from the main tank, and if you can set up a temporary quarantine tank to house them during the period of treatment, that is better, even a bucket or something would do! Simon
  20. pasha15

We havent added anything new for a while. The yellow is definitely not eggs but from what I can read on line that is the parasite. It is only on the underside of the shrimp. Looking on line seems to suggest ellobiopsidae!! Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
  21. sdlTBfanUK

Sorry to hear you have a problem. It is difficult to make out from the photos but obviously it is difficult to take photos of something so small? Try looking here, there were a coupe of possibilities I noticed having a quick glance through it, vorticello, parasites https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/5052-shrimp-diseases-and-diagnosis/ Both the ones I saw say salt treatment so that may be worth a try anyway (not household salt but aquarium salt)! Any idea where they came from, have you added anything new recently? I assume the yellow colour is eggs of the shrimp. Hopefully you can set up a temporary quarantine tank whilst you try the salt treatment and others may give some further advice! Simon
  22. Hi all. Watching my cherry shrimp today I have noticed several have yellow bits on there under side. Definitely not eggs. I have removed all I can see are infected. From what I can find on line it appears to be a parasite. I can not find any treatment options. Can anyone help. I do a minimum of 10%water change every week with zero water with added gh+/kh+. I clean the gravel every week also. Any advice gratefully recieved. Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
  23. sdlTBfanUK

Design ideas

I hope the tank doesn't take too long to make, and everthing arrives in good order! As you say you are planning on Cherry shrimps things should be fairly easy and straight forward with regards the type of substrate and rock and cherry shrimp are quite adaptable! As you say, you will have to wait and see what rock you can get before you can really settle on a design/layout etc. Substrate usually falls into 2 types, inert or soil, whereby the soil reduces/buffers the ph (you don't need the buffering with the cherry shrimp as they prefer higher PH) but looks more natural and is good for plants. We have a new soil substrate which is made by tetra (german I believe, and quite new) that doesn't alter/buffer the PH but I don't know whether that is available to you in Australia, but that would be the best for both cherry shrimp and plants? You can just use gravel or sand with cherry shrimps if you don't want the soil? I assume the tank won't be covered therefore it may suffer from evaporaton and this will need to be TOPPED up with RO (or equivalent) water otherwise there will be a build up of TDS over time? If your rainwater you plan to use has a very low TDS you may be able to gat around this so you won't need to buy RO water etc! You can't really go any further with this aspect though until you have tested your source water! I hope you manage to source some great rocks for the scaping! Simon
  24. Subtlefly

Design ideas

Hi Team! So the tank has been commissioned and paid for. Final dimensions are 900x400x200, rimless, 10mm PPG starphire glass, polished edges. Now trying to think about design ideas Idea 1 would be a 5 stone layout with a split or canyon between the main and second stone. This layout would attempt to play with the scale- seeming like a vast landscape. Idea 2 uses larger stones and breaks the surface - I think the sense of scale would be changed here and would not seem so large - more like one mountain monolith. Idea 3 brings the scale to 1:1 and uses some kind of tree roots to create a creek or river bottom. What other ideas could work? I guess I will have to see as I try to find what kind of hardscape I can actually source. Thanks for any and all advice or ideas Have a great day
  25. jayc

PH keeps rising

Let the RO water sit for 24hours before testing pH. That will give you the true pH level.
  26. Goco

PH keeps rising

Allright thanks, ill do 25% Waterchange weekly, i have many poweder food here, that should be working 😃 Thanks. Im already dripping my water, one litre per hour.
  27. sdlTBfanUK

PH keeps rising

Shrimps aren't very high bioload so you should probably reduce the weekly water change to no more than 25% and the new water will need to be dripped into the tank over many hours. I haven't used salty shrimp but I have heard it usually comes out about 6.8 so I don't think that is a problem. It is more likely to be you are changing too much water which has that PH difference of 1 may be too much for the babies to cope with. Lava rock won't alter the PH/KH so thats fine. Just do 20-25% weekly water changes, adding the ew water with a driper and I think you will be fine. I would probably get some baby shrimp food as well and that will be a powder,, so use a pin, dip the tip 2-3mm in to the tank quickly to wet, then in the powder and then swirl that in the tank so it spreads around. It is a fairly small tank so there may not be quite enough natural biofilm (caution not to over feed though). Simon
  28. Goco

PH keeps rising

Sorry, yes you are right. I have tropica powder Soil with Taiwan Bees. They are all healthy, no one is dying, buy my shrimp babys die off after maybe 2-3 weeks 😕 The only rock i have inside my tank is lava rock. im asking, why the PH is rising, because im putting RO water with only GH salt inside the RO water. Still the PH is rising to 6,8 PH after maybe 24-48 hours. Im little bit concerned, because my RO Water has maybe 5,8 PH? and the difference is too high to raise that fast. Maaybe thats killing my baby shirmps? The high difference. But i dont want to put any KH anymore in my Waterchange water. Thank you so much for your help 😃
  1. Load more activity