All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. beanbag

RESET TANK, D'oh!

Another thing you can do to avoid rescaping: Just take some of the fresh soil and put it in your filter.
  3. Zenplay,thailand

REDBEE : ADA soil

Thx ^^
  4. sdlTBfanUK

New Shrimp Keeper

Hopefully the fish has just damaged itself as you say, mine do that sometimes, although the changes in the water will undoubtedly have caused them stress and the water they prefer was the water you started off with? There are sections on this forum dedicated to fish, I used it when I decided to try a Betta and got great advice from JayC and this Betta is doing way better than any I have tried before because of all the different things I did/do this time! https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/forum/116-fish-keepers/ Great to hear that the shrimps are doing so well. I think it is natural for the berried shrimp to hide away when they are near to birth as it protects the newly hatched shrimps when they are born, and the babies don't move far when they newly hatched either. There would be little to gain at this stage in getting more shrimps before getting a bigger/new tank, it may even be detrimental? I admit to being lazy sometimes and not topping up the tank between weekly maintenance/water changes (disgraceful really as I keep a 1litre bottle of RO water right next to the tank anyway), in which case I end up taking out 2litres and putting back 3litres at the next change, but need to make an allowance for the fact the TDS will change. When I set up the new Taiwan bee tank I measured the water I put into the tank at the start (assuming the measuring jug is anywhere near accurate) so that is how I know there is 28litres in the 35litre tank - it is a good idea to do this WITH A NEW TANK (but with everything in the tank, heater, filter substrate etc) as it is so much easier to do at that point anyway. I did the same with the Betta tank and that has 20litres in a 25litre tank (the one you were thinking of getting at some point). Without the exact figure to put in the spreadsheet then it won't be 'accurate (can still be used to give you as near an idea as needed though)', especially on a small tank! It works to the digit with mine. Even if you empty the tank and refill it probably won't be that accurate as the soil will have absorbed some water, so best do it first fill of new tank. Your water parameters are looking good and pretty much there now so all else being well you should be able to go back to once a week maintenance/water change. I don't know much about Nitrite/Nitrate as I have never had any readings, apart from the old fish/cherry shrimp tank which has always been 50 nitrate for years, probably because there are too many fish but there has never been a problem in that tank? PURELY AS A GUESS I would think the duckweed may have caused the problem/imbalance, but that is ONLY a guess based on I used it once and swore never again, I use water lettuce now, though that isn't perfect either as the routes grow so quickly that I have to trim those every week, but still a lot easier than duckweed. Simon
  5. sdlTBfanUK

RESET TANK, D'oh!

Thanks JayC, I think it is called a Geode, that was what it was sold as when I bought it in US many years ago though it could be something else? I think it is some sort of meteorite? Hopefully, as you say, now it is removed the PH may start to drop and I have put one in some prepared water to test in a week. I will also just see what happens with prepared water left out for the same period just to see what happens with that. Simon
  6. sdlTBfanUK

Those are very good quality shrimps and photos. Simon
  7. jayc

RESET TANK, D'oh!

Geodes, if it's what I'm thinking of Will dissolve in a tank and impact water parameters. but if you have removed it, than you should start to get back to water parameters that are more to the expected values.
  8. jayc

New Shrimp Keeper

Absolutely !! Unfortunately yes, it matters. A Platy is not the right type of fish to keep with shrimps from a water parameter point of view.
  9. Yesterday
  10. CurleyJones321

New Shrimp Keeper

I'll be honest when it comes to water levels, on a usual water regime of once a week i usual just top up to my assigned maximum level and it wont usually evaporate more than to the tank minimum mark before the next water change where i take out slightly less water than i put in. Ok so its been a few days and I just counted 5 adult shrimp and 10 baby's varying in size from about 3mm to 6mm so im thinking I've had at least 2 berried females successfully give birth and obviously they hide in the plants when their pregnant because i have not seen a berried one since the one about a month before i started this thread in March. i have however seen a whitish mark on one of the fish and couldn't determine if it was an infection, fungal growth or just a discolouration on the fish. My TDS was reading around 290 and i realised i did have some Nitrate levels in the tank the last time i checked the conditions . I decided to do water changes, I've done 6 water changes between then and now, first 2 at 0TDS next 3 ranging between 250 & 150 then the last one at 0TDS. i added bioboost (friendly bacteria) during the last change. Ive been dripping it in at about 1 - 2 drips per second. My current readings are as follows:- TDS - 233 Temp - 23C PH - 7 NH4 - Unreadable N03 - 10PPM N02 - 0.025PPM P04 - 0.5PPM dKH - 2 dGH - 6 i did use the TDS conversion chart and wasnt getting what i call accurate enough TDS measurements untill i changed the tank literage to 17.5 liters so my guess is i actually have that and seeing as you cant really tell without actually physically taking out the water from the tank & measure how much water you have. Shrimp wise i estimate i have probably around 12 - 16 adults and 15 - 20 baby shrimp in the tank so that's as this forum goes it is entirely successful, but i may have a problem with the fish and my argument is people like me will want to keep community tanks with shrimp & fish & so can i ask about fish keeping on this forum? The fish in question is a sunburst Viratus Platy, since finding the spot on Thursday, it hasnt gotten any bigger nor do any other fish have it so im thinking its just the fish had an accident and damaged itself somehow? The Nitrate level is still slightly high (for the shrimp i thought) so im going to keep an close eye on it. That does however tell me that the Duckweed does nothing to N03. According to what I've also researched on keeping fish they prefer it ifyou have dKH at between 4 & 8 and dGH at between 12 & 18, but does that really matter? Kind regards James
  11. Zenplay,thailand

12. Pleco

Welcome Pleco

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes Pleco. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  13. Zenplay,thailand

14. Zenplay,thailand

15. Zenplay,thailand

[mock01] [idea01] Spec. Tank16inc. ph 5.5-6.0 gh5 -ada ll 4lt -pumic2lt Water : Ro change every3days Lighting -hopar 18inc. Bacteria -bioguard azoo -bacter ae -mini chiller 26°c +-0.5 Food & handmade ,Additive 1 day 2 day 1 week
  16. Zenplay,thailand

Welcome Zenplay,thailand

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes Zenplay,thailand. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  17. sdlTBfanUK

RESET TANK, D'oh!

Thanks for that, I think I will try that just so that I know, though I don't think they will be going back into the tank now. Will be good to know though whether they were the reason. Simon edit 1hr later - I have done this, and also put some of the water in a cup to test the water itself, will leave both a week and report back. Ph was 5.5 , TDS 148 when set up
  18. My guess is a fungus, so remove it as much as possible and do water change (slowly). The common causes of fungus are overfeeding (left over food), something that is decaying (plants or animals), or something emitting sugars, like driftwood.
  19. beanbag

RESET TANK, D'oh!

acid test them or leave it in a glass of remineralized water and check its pH again after a few days.
  20. Last week
  21. Anubis

Welcome Anubis

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes Anubis. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  22. sdlTBfanUK

RESET TANK, D'oh!

All the other parameters are stable and perfect, and the newly filtered remineralised water that goes into the tank when doing a water change is Ph5.5. I use the dennerle mineral double in place of salty shrimp as it is easier to use being a liquid! I do 10% water changes each week. It is a bit baffling to me but as there is no obvious problems at this point I am not too worried but will probably get some new substrate ready, just in case. The substrate that is in the tank is a year old and as mentioned the only other unknown that may have caused the problem was I had 3 geodes in the tank, which are a type of rock? Simon
  23. I leave the sides and back alone as well and the shrimplets seem to come out onto that a lot and IF there are new borns that is the only place where I get to see them. When you do a water change you need to add in the new water very slowly also, most use some sort of dripper setup. It may just be that the setup wasn't established enough, that is what I put my fungus down too anyway. Mine wasn't really anywhere that I could remove it but it cleared in less than a week, but if you can remove some manually I would do that.I imagine just adding the shrimp may cause a small/temporary imbalance as it then has to adjust again, if that makes sense? Hopefully you won't loose any more shrimps, and I wouldn't worry too much about the fungus unless it just keeps getting worse, as I have had this happen a few times with newish tanks and it has always just cleared up in about a week. Simon
  24. I don't think i have an algae problem. I just never clean the back glass or in that pic filter....I'm letting some algae grow for "food".
  25. If it's a new established tank, you have a problem, it seems you have a algae problem, so it seems like your water is not right.
  26. beanbag

RESET TANK, D'oh!

Check if the GH or KH are slowly rising. The Salty Shrimp GH+ is very mildly buffering and should have a pH of about 6.6 when mixed with RO water.
  27. Hi. It's a newish tank. I had it up cycling for 1.5 month before adding Rabbit snails. 1.5 months before Cherry shrimp. I thought it was ready......guess more time was needed. Thanks for the advice all!
  28. Looking at the photo, it seems like a established tank.
  1. Load more activity