All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Seahorse

Welcome Seahorse

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes Seahorse. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  3. Last week
  4. Traps don't work on hydra. Even with planaria, it is slow and it doesn't catch them all.
  5. Gabby PopRivett

Welcome Gabby PopRivett

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes Gabby PopRivett. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  6. john.jilnicki

Welcome john.jilnicki

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes john.jilnicki. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  7. Bren

Welcome Bren

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes Bren. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  8. sdlTBfanUK

bee shrimps with eggs

Very wise as once they start breeding your population may sky rocket anyway, as they have with the CBS! I'm sure you should get some really nice surprises/colours when they start cross breeding too! Simon
  9. I will stick with the present shrimps, give it another month or so before I add some more shrimps.
  10. Lukec

Welcome Lukec

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes Lukec. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  11. sdlTBfanUK

bee shrimps with eggs

More fantastic pictures love the blue shadow panda and the 2 red pinto galaxy. Great to hear all is going so well! If you have a lot of CBS then they will breed when they are old enough so losing the 'mother' isn't too bad at this stage and they only love max 2 years anyway. Glad you still have 2 blue bolts as well - those will probably be my next purchase when they are in stock? The putting spinach in my tank has brought a few of my shrimps out but bizarrely they aren't touching the actual spinach? Seen 2 black and 3 red (of the 8 total I bought) so far today? Simon
  12. update my new tank is becoming stable, the shrinps are growing, I have seen many of the shrimps shread it's shell. My old tank is infested with black CRS, but the mother had just died yesterday, I still have two blue bolts and a few CRS.
  13. sdlTBfanUK

Hydra & Planaria shrimp safe removal.

The SL Aqua is a herbal extract so isn't actually a chemical and it had NO negative impact (they say maybe snails would die but mine didn't) so ultra simple, quick and effective. Mine was a new tank so there were only snails living in the tank at that time. The hydra I had were so tiny (tank was only a few weeks old so they were probably young) you needed a magnifying glass to see them and it would be quite difficult to remove them without disturbing the aquascaping as they were attached to wood (that is probably where they came from)! I have seen the traps on ebay but I don't know whether they are effective or not, but they don't look nice in the tank and how do you know if/when you have caught them all? I think the SL Aqua Z1 would definitely be the way to go if you have hydra/planaria and you can get hold of it, it is a natural product and couldn't be easier, 1 dose and you should be done, though they say you may need to do another, but I didn't, though I doubt there were that many in my tank anyway! Hope everything is going well with your shrimp tanks kms? I haven't seen many of my new shrimps (3 so far today, early yet though) but it is a heavily planted tank and they are adolescent size shrimps. I have put some fresh spinach and a pea in there today, hopefully that should draw them out? I checked the parameters etc yesterday and they were all spot on. Simon
  14. Whiles everyone is using chemical to kill the worms, whiles don't you just catch them, there are tools available to do this.
  15. rnguyen

Welcome rnguyen

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes rnguyen. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  16. sdlTBfanUK

Thanks JayC, it does say to do that but as I do weekly water changes anyway it wasn't something extra I had to do, but you are right to mention it. I didn't do a 50% water change at the end (as they recommend) of the week as I only ever saw maybe a dozen hydra so got it really early, I think I did a 20% water change! Used it in April and not seen any hydra since and only treated the one time. Simon
  17. Definitely was not around. We had to break new ground with hiding a treatment back in those days. Probably more a precaution, but I need to add this advice ... make sure you do a water change after the treatment period. If you are regular with water changes, than that is not a problem. Depending on how many planaria or hydra you have in the tank, their deaths can really spike ammonia and cause issues. So a water change after the treatment period is always advisable.
  18. PNWBoy91

Welcome PNWBoy91

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes PNWBoy91. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  19. sdlTBfanUK

This is an old thread but I have seen various people looking at it a few times so thought I would add something briefly here. I had Hydra when I set up a new tank and bought some SL Aqua Z1. This cleared the hydra and did not negatively affect plants or any occupants. It was so easy, 1 dose then that was all that was needed. I believe it is a natural product rather than a chemical treatment. http://www.sl-aqua.com/en/conditioner/products_z1.html There are a few UK sellers but I don't know how easy it may be to get elsewhere? I think it is an Asian product? It probably is fairly new so wasn't around when this thread was started? Simon
  20. DorsalFin

Welcome DorsalFin

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes DorsalFin. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  21. jayc

Here we go again!

2nd photo, bottom right. That Red wine is a nice one.
  22. My shrimps are only cheap because they shrimps are cheap to buy in Hong Kong.
  23. kms

Here we go again!

nice red wines and king kong
  24. sdlTBfanUK

Here we go again!

Photos of the newbies before they went into the tank! Fingers crossed??? Simon
  25. Earlier
  26. ShrimpLikers

Welcome ShrimpLikers

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes ShrimpLikers. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  27. sdlTBfanUK

bee shrimps with eggs

You probably don't need more at this stage as when they start breeding (up to 30 shrimplets each female, every month) you will be needing more tanks????? Those are cheap shrimps though, mine were just over GBP8 each! I am going to see if I can find my camera............... Simon
  28. I was going to purchase another 5 Red Wine today for about GBP10, but the shop only got them in and still in the bag drip acclimated, although they did say I can still buy them. I held myself back from the purchased till tmr.
  1. Load more activity