All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. sdlTBfanUK

Need Advice on Inert Substrate

Catappa leaves are Indian almond leaves, as you say. Biofilm gows on the leaf surface as well which the shrimp love to eat so it is worth getting some and I imagine they are readily available! Your tap water may be very good in your part of the world, it is probably less messed about with I imagine than most of the world. It sounds like you ae having great success so I recommend you carry on as is and don't use anything you aren't already using, especially chemical wise at this stage. I think the 20% water change each week should slowly bring the PH/KH down to better parameters for caridina shrimp but if they have survived 2 weeks they are doing ok as they are and should be ok, just put the new water in very slowly, over many hours! Hopefully this will counter anything that may be raising the PH/KH and it may fluctuate over the week but it will be so slow it won't harm the shrimp whilst keeping those figures from raising too high! We may need to revisit it later if shrimp start dying, but as it is doing so well don't try and change things too much or unnecessarily and the water changes should reduce the figures slowly and stop any extremes of parameters over times. The caridina are much more difficult to keep than the neocaridina but I understand wanting to keep the caridina. The setup you have would ideally suit neocaridina better but hopefully this will work out long term for the caridina with minimal extra effort! Simon
  3. Today
  4. Ricky ng

Hey Simon, Thanks a lot to stop by and for all the useful information that you gave such a blessing to have you in this forum. I put 3 pine cone first to see how it goes lol i dont know if i can find that leaves but i think i can get the catappa leaves i think they all just the same.. my question is that since i also have purigen in my filter i believe it will absorb all the tannin so i dont know if the leaves still can reduce the ph.. what about seachem acid buffer or ADA soft water? Well the neos want keep breeding black bee and red bee also thriving for quite some time when i usr tap water plus seachem prime.. low grade prl and tiger fancy low grade has been there for just a month maybe but bb and panda just 2 weeks.. but i will try to do your suggestion 20% RO mineralize water changes.. Mosquito i think is a great idea mate.. and thanks a lot again for all the information that you gave.. may GOD bless you mate..
  5. sdlTBfanUK

Wow, what a great tank you have there! Usually a soil substrate s used with Caridina shrimp as that buffers the PH to ideal for te shrimp, but clearly you aren't going to re-do the tank at this stage. Adding Indian almond leaves can help the PH a little and you can put those at the back behind the scaping so they don't affect the look. RO water will have a Lower PH (usually 6 or lower) and a KH of 0 so water changes can bring them down so, I would maybe do 20% RO (mineralised) water change a week to start off and see where that gets you in a month - add new water very gradually, a dripper is best! The dragon stone may be increasing the PH/KH but if the 20% water change works and is manageable then maybe continue with that indefinitely - obviously you aren't going to remove the stone, that would be madness in such a beautiful setup? If the shrimps are suriving then I wouldn't worry too much and I assume you acclimated them well. How long have the shrimp been in the tank? With RO water you will need to add minerals which would be GH+ for the caridina shrimps. Your KH is a bit high for Caridina normally so don't use GH/KH+ as that will also affect the KH. Tap water rarely works with caridina! As for fish, I think it would be risky with Harlequin rasbora (they grow quite big for a shrimp tank), especially if the shrimp start breeding, but chilli/mosquito/dwarf spotted fasbora should be fine as they are no bigger than an adult shrimp. I keep neon tetra and ember tetra with some red cherry shrimp but it is very densely planted so shrimps can (and do) hide a lot but I still expect the fish must get SOME baby shrimps? Even the micro rasbora may eat some new born shrimp of coarse. The biggest pointer though is if it is working don't try to fix it, I had caridina in PH the same as yours and they were fine even though it's not perfect for them! It can cause more problems changing things than it solves as many have found out........... just do as you are doing with the water changes of 20% RO mineralised for a month,add some Indian almond leaves and maybe some alder cones, and see where your parameters have got too! If the shrimp die then it may be worth going further but I wouldn't at this stage as it seems to be going so well. Again, wow what a tank, I am so jealous! Simon
  6. I want to move to a caridina scape.. I've already have a quite mature 60p aquascape with mosses and anubias low tech but i use co2 only 1 bps or lower, dragon stone, inert substrate (la plata and jbl sansibar), water changes weekly and adding 1ml of Seachem Nitrogen and 1ml of Seachem Phospate, and adding a bit of ADA Mineral a day after, ADA Green brighty K every 2 day, previously i use tap water since i want to setup taiwan bee scape i already water change 50% of RO water.. Tds still 140-150, ph 7-7.5, kh 4, GH dont know i bought a broken one, i still try hard to lower down my ph but still can not.. so far i already tried to adding blue bolt, panda shrimp one each to test everyone is surviving so far.. what should i do next to stabilize the lower ph as well? And is there any fish recommended to keep with caridina? Harlequin rasbora?
  7. Ricky ng

Welcome Ricky ng

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes Ricky ng. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  8. jayc

Shallow and long?

What plants are you going to keep in the tank? Low light mosses and slow growing anubias? then yes, that will be enough. Good idea. Best to be safe.
  9. Yesterday
  10. Subtlefly

Shallow and long?

So do you think you would get away with 1 x Kessil A160? Or play it safe with 2 x A80 ? Cement tank been there since 1968 but I will check the water. Thanks
  11. jayc

Shallow and long?

Cement/concrete leaches a lot of minerals into the water. That's why on occasions you see discoloration caused by crystalline deposits of salts on concrete surfaces. These deposits often contain compounds such as calcium, sodium and potassium hydroxides or carbonates, bicarbonates, chlorides, and sulfates of calcium and magnesium. So definitely test the water for pH, KH, GH and TDS parameters. The older the rain tank, the less it will release these minerals. So it might be ok. With regards to your question on lighting, it depends on the type of plants you plan on keeping. That said, the Kessel will grow most plants you put in that tank.
  12. Wilbergz

Fuzz on crayfish

Tap is what im using, thank you for the help
  13. Subtlefly

Shallow and long?

Thanks for your input.. the tank is cement and is under our house, its what I use to top up my outdoor pond when it loses evaporation and the shrimp living out there are breeding. I will certainly look into test kits but to begin with I am just going to cycle the tank with plants. Thanks again!
  14. sdlTBfanUK

Shallow and long?

It is best to test the parameters of the 'source' water and go from there. Many people use dechlorinated tap water successfully with cherry shrimp (me included), but rainwater or RO water you will need to mineralise the water. I guess it is a bit too early at this stage as you don't have the tank yet, but you may want to ge the test kits so you are ready to go anyway - TDS meter/pen, GH, KH, PH and of course ammonia/nitrite/nitrate for cyclng the tank. I guess you can make life easier when you have the tests by testing the different 'sources' so you can get any minerals etc ready as well, and decide which source is going to best suit cherry shrimps? Rainwater is likely near to RO water so will likely need minerals added, and what is the storage tank/guttering made of, as some metals are toxic to shrimp, especially copper? Sorry, got a bit off original topic. All the equipment you originally listed looks good and well thought out from what I saw but as I am in UK it isn't the same 'stuff' here so hopefully someone from Australia will help with that aspect. Simon
  15. sdlTBfanUK

Fuzz on crayfish

I have often got odd groups of fungus growing when setting up new tanks, though not seen it on any shrimp, usually wood or ornaments etc and that clears itself in time once the tank is properly cycled and settled down. If he seems happy and active just keep a close eye on him and see how it progresses (hopefully disappears). Maybe the tank wasn't quite ready for him? I'm not quite sure how quickly/easy it is to cycle/establish when there are no plants, it may take longer as they are usually a part (speed up) of the process I would think, and if you have just got an ammonia reading this week? Keep testing Ammonia/nitrite and nitrate regulary at this point? If the ammonia gets too high it is normal to do a large water change, but that may trigger a molt so only do that if absolutely necessary. Don't overfeed the fish either (common mistake) as that may cause extra ammonia? What water are you using, RO or Tap? Simon
  16. Subtlefly

Shallow and long?

So we have a rainwater tank under our house and I have a pond in the yard - was kind of planning on using rain water or water that has been cycling through my backyard pond, native pacific blue eye fish and native red nosed shrimp out there doing their own thing. If I am stuck and in a drought then I might have to resort to filtered tap water... does this sound like a plan?
  17. sdlTBfanUK

Shallow and long?

You have obviously done your research and I look forward to seeing how it progresses/goes. It all sounds very exciting and well planned out! I looked up the lighting and saw this video, don't know if you have already seen it but it seems quite informative (A80 model)! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZNKR2-kWbA With the filter you just need to be sure that the intake is shrimp safe so they don't get sucked into the filter? Do you know what water you will be using, Tap or RO and if tap water what the parameters of your tap water are. Usually you can use tapwater for cherry shrimp unless it has extreme parameters? I am probably getting a bit ahead at this stage though? Simon
  18. Wilbergz

Fuzz on crayfish

Sourced off reddit. Basically same thing, seen another post with similar conclusions as non harmful just collected some stuff. Probably bio enhancers
  19. Wilbergz

Fuzz on crayfish

Doesn't seem its any of those. Had this tank going with fish for about almost 3 weeks? Its just one crayfish with about 24 tetras (different kinds) ph is 7.4 ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 until this week ammonia is .25. Did a 10% water change added bio enhancer stuff. He seems like hes still normal eating chasing everyone. He hasn't molted since I've had him or at least I havent noticed.
  20. sdlTBfanUK

Fuzz on crayfish

I think I may just be able to see it and it 'looks like' a sort of fungus? Try going through this post and see if you can identify it from that? https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/5052-shrimp-diseases-and-diagnosis/ More details of the setup may also help, how long has it been running (I am guessing not too long as it is ultra clean gravel etc), how long have you had the crayfish, are their any other occupants in the tank, water source/parameters etc etc?? Simon
  21. Subtlefly

Shallow and long?

Ok so a further edit - I have been talking to a high quality tank maker in Brisbane and am leaning toward getting a custom tank made - rimless, starfire low iron glass, polished edges, as close to ADA quality as humanly possible. Using Dennison from Mary's Aquarium in Bris. Final dimensions would be 900x400x200 mm which would come in at 72 litres. Price is actually great compared with what the ADA 90F was going to cost! Even with using an ADA 60F my original budget was probably a little wishful thinking, but if I am only going to do this once I really want to get an amazing aquascape going. Still really interested in your thoughts about lighting, filtration and anything else you can think of! At the moment the thinking is filtration will be eheim classic 150 or ecco pro 130 (considerations are quiet and energy efficient) Lighting I would like to go for 1x Kessil A160 located high (I know Kessil says this will not be enough but for no CO2 I feel that it might be) or 2 x Kessil A80 (this is what Kessil recommends for a tank of this size - I wrote to them when I was looking at the 900x300x200 ADA tank) - I really like the pendant style of hanging light - (and the shimmer) any other recommendations on lighting welcome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaw02PY5ya4 Here is a 60F lit by Kessil A160 and there seems to be heaps of overlap for a larger tank? Thanks team and have a great day - interested in your thoughts!
  22. Wilbergz

Fuzz on crayfish

Basically at the rear of his head shell
  23. sdlTBfanUK

Fuzz on crayfish

That is a fantastic photograph! I can't actually see the fuzz you are asking about even with the high quality picture, where on the body are you seeing the fuzz? Simon
  24. Klay

Welcome Klay

Shrimp Keepers Forum welcomes Klay. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. View Member regards, skfadmin
  25. Last week
  26. Wilbergz

Fuzz on crayfish

I just did a water change few days ago and this morning I see some fuzz on my crayfish. Hes perfectly active likes to eat his indian leaf, pellets and chase fish around. Any input would be appreicated
  27. sdlTBfanUK

Shallow and long?

I have 10 chilli rasbora and a killi in a 30(ish) litre tank and they are doing fine and seems about right in size! I hope to get some shrimp for trial at some stage to also go in there but thats for a later date, when things get back to a bit more normal. Simon
  28. jayc

Shallow and long?

A 600x300x180 tank is perfect for CPD or chilli rasboras.
  29. Subtlefly

Shallow and long?

So an update... I called the store that said they had an ADA 90f on their website and they dont have one. ADA dont even make that tank anymore. So guys help me out.. do you consider that the 60F 600x300x180 is too small for a small school of celestial pearl danios or cilli rasboras and shrimp? 30 litres This would certainly help me out with the overall build budget! I have also found a fireAqua tank being imported into Western Australia that is 900x300x240. I am still in the budget and planning stage and would really appreciate your input team. Thanks for your help sub
  1. Load more activity