Neo Strikes Back

neo-2FX

• 1 month later...

Update time!

I'm so excited with the way things are progressing. First mumma dropped her babies...they're so cute!!! Another 4 berried and ready to drop soon.

See photos for progress.

Added some monte carlo on the DW and some Thor Hammer also.

IMG_20160102_170346.jpg

IMG_20160102_170351.jpg

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_20160126_214901.jpg

IMG_20160126_214927.jpg

IMG_20160127_211458.jpg

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

• Like 5

Looking Great man~ Keep it up!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

This tank is going from strength to strength!

First lot of shrimplets are growing so fast! And now a second lot have been dropped!

I've also decided to chuck in a few of my best cherries from the neglected tank.

IMG_20160207_214327.jpg

IMG_20160211_203232.jpg

IMG_20160211_203225.jpg

IMG_20160211_203217.jpg

IMG_20160211_203210.jpg

IMG_20160210_202725.jpg

IMG_20160210_202706.jpg

IMG_20160210_202659.jpg

IMG_20160208_213601.jpg

IMG_20160208_213550.jpg

IMG_20160131_215511.jpg

IMG_20160204_172714.jpg

IMG_20160204_172704.jpg

Edited by neo-2FX
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

What a difference even a month has made on this tank!

Got some of @Gbang's Bloody Marys and some low grade PRL from @Disciple.

I'm blown away by the quality of both lots and can't wait to see how it goes.

Thanks again to @Disciple for all his assistance!

IMG_20160302_210255.jpg

IMG_20160303_190943.jpg

IMG_20160306_104201.jpg

IMG_20160309_191727.jpg

• Like 5

It looks awesome. Those shrimp are gorgeous and I'm excited to see how the vibe deepens as the plant growth continues ?

• Like 1

Awesome pics man.

Glad you liked the shrimp. Bloody Mary are looking good too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Little update on this tank.

Had some deaths and a few other issues but I think it's now back on track.

I've had to cull the CRS hard to try and better the quality of colour in the colony. It's a bit painful culling so many but it's for the better.

Bloody Mary's have gone crazy. There's a few ripper males in the colony. I'll try get some photos tomorrow to share ?

Reminds me, I really need to get onto a macro lens!

• Like 3

looking great man

• Like 1

Had a look at this thread from the start and it's cool to see the changed as the tank matures! Your scape and plant selection looks amazing!

What is the big ball on the left?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Had a look at this thread from the start and it's cool to see the changed as the tank matures! Your scape and plant selection looks amazing!

Thanks@Bill88!

I didn't think it was much of scape to be honest haha but I'll take the compliment!

Are talking about the big ball of Java Moss? Or the alder cones?

Hmm it's in page 2on the left, not the alder cones though... I think it's removed in the later photos :P

• Like 1

If it's the pic I think it was, the ball looks like a marine pure ball.

• Like 1

Ah of course! (Googles marine pure ball) :P cheers :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just an update..

Tank is doing really well. Removed the driftwood because it was growing all sorts of fungus. Getting some good growth in the plants!

IMG_20161109_200446.jpg

IMG_20161102_201003.jpg

IMG_20160924_180603.jpg

IMG_20160922_183638.jpg

IMG_20160922_191328.jpg

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!