This is what I call newborn

Baccus

I caught this berried girl the other night when out hunting for snails. I only kept her because she was quite pretty with nice colour and patterns when I caught her and she was berried. She went into my native tank that already has thriving Blackmore River Shrimp.

P1090795_zps6l5qfrgw.jpg

I noticed last night that the female had dropped her eggs, and considering the size of the eggs compared to the much larger eggs (but smaller body size) of the Blackmore River Shrimp I thought the chance of actually seeing any shrimplets let alone have any survive the chances would be slim. While tank gazing I did see something tiny zoom past the camera but couldn't find anything and eventually gave up.

P1090797_zpsvlflqmt8.jpg

This morning I happened by chance to find this tiny little fella that I think probably wont survive seeing as how it does not appear to be a fully formed shrimplet. It looks like it has tiny little side swimmers to help it get around, making it make it seem to me more like a zoe. Here's some pictures to help everyone else decide.

P1090822_zps6oi6ys0j.jpg

P1090828_zpslgozwnvg.jpg

P1090826_zpscv95xhli.jpg

Wow, awesome pictures.  Hope some of the offspring make it, the optimist in me says the mother could have dropped the eggs but they'd have been unhatched so maybe just maybe, the tiny baby is meant to be that tiny at birth and will survive.

I'm pretty sure they hatched rather than being rejected, especially since she was accidentally left on the ground for a bit after she flipped out of the net and it took a ages to find her. But even after that harrowing experience she held the eggs for another week.

She could be either a algea eater or glass, but both shrimp from memory can be a bit hit and miss raising the young in a fresh water tank situation.

I guess it will just be a waiting game to see if the young can survive fresh water, the filter and the spotted blue eyes. Since the blackmore river shrimplets manage to outwit the spotted blue eyes I'm pretty sure other shrimplets should be able too as well.

For comparison here is a berried blackmore river shrimp,  smaller body and larger eggs in comparison to the locally caught shrimp

P1090755_zpswoqxa2mt.jpg

• Like 2