Why deaths after water changes?

ShrimpDuck

Hi all! I've noticed that in my rili tanks I usually get one or two deaths after a water change. Not every time, but fairly often. This doesn't usually happen in my other tanks which have red, black and blue cherries.

Any ideas why this might be happening? I usually wipe down the front panel of my glass, and only change about 10% of the water. Any help would be appreciated!

Try dripping in the new water. So its not such a drastic change to rule out water change parameters being way off.

DIY your own drip system using some air hoses.

• Like 1

+1 with what Jayc said.

How do you add back the water? what temperature do you have your water compared to the tank? Do you add any additives into the water when you do your water changes?

I pour 15-30 plus litres straight from bucket into my tank every water change and no deaths. 

Whilst it could a contributing factor u also need to consider the resilience of ur shrimp and their immune system etc. Personally i dont think shrimp are as sensitive as most make out in the water change if ur water u are adding into it is similar. In my case it is only slight variances in the tds and temp which drops 1-3 degrees max but no signs of stress.

I have found if you are not doing the drip method and just slowly pouring in, temperature fluctuations can kill shrimp, especially shrimplings.

• 2 weeks later...

if it doesn't occur in the other tanks and i assume you do everything the same across all the tanks. Is there anything different in the rili tank substrate plants has it been running longer shorter that could be causing the issue?