Is Aluminum safe ???

bailey88

Just wondering if aluminum is safe in shrimp tanks??? Can get scrap stainless and aluminum from work and yeah just wanna know if I can use it in my tanks thanks in advance Brendon

Stainless should be fine, aluminum? there is plenty of shrimp around Weipa where the bauxite is? maybe run an experiment in a separate tank with shrimp and Ally?

As far as I am aware there is no Aluminum test kit. There is a copper test kit and I have seen fish in some very heavy copper loaded water in the wild.

Bob

im pretty sure aluminium would deteriorate pretty quickly in water, so it may not be bad for shrimp but it may not last long.

could be wrong though

im pretty sure aluminium would deteriorate pretty quickly in water' date=' so it may not be bad for shrimp but it may not last long.

could be wrong though[/quote']

I think your rite Jordan it does deteriorate quickly (it oxidizes), but I remember reading a while ago a thread that the process is rather quick and the result is harmless to shrimp, as the coating that forms locks in the actual alloy. apparently this stops any form of leaching....

I'm just repeating what I have read in the past, and have not actually tried this myself so i cant say for sure if this is the case but from my distant memory of what i heard in the science lab in high school (when I was paying attention) it made sense and seemed accurate.....

having said that if you have access to stainless Bailey, better to be safe than sorry as I would hate for you to be the person to find out aluminum is not so safe with shrimp....

Awesome thanks everyone for your help ill just use the scrap stainless i find then