Contemplating a second tank - advice needed

neo-2FX

Hi SKF'ers,

I've had a tank going now for about 6-7 months....made a few mistakes....learned heaps - http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/8414-neos-journal/

Main issue was the rocks I used (Seiryu) are pushing up my parameters (which I knew was going to be a problem) and shrimp are doing good but not thriving.

I'm contemplating setting up another tank of the same size (45cmx27cmx30cm), dedicated to shrimp only, but without all the fancy scape etc.

Few questions:

1. Should I just go bigger, in terms of tank size?

2. Filtration? Small canister, hang on or just air driven sponge?

3. Soil; Left over BEP or ADA or something else?

You're all going to ask what shrimp I want. I think I want to concentrate on CRS.

Your thoughts will help me decide :5565bf0371061_D:

Edited by neo-2FX

As you have found out, keeping it simple is the best way. 2ft is a good size and with filtration personnally i would go cannister. i would go shrimp specific soil

• Like 2

@neo-2FX from my experience I would avoid ADA if not putting too many plans in the tank. My tank doesn't have many plants and I feel the ADA soil is a bit of a waste in there considering it is fantastic for growing plants - plus as you know it takes a lot of time and patience to get your tank cycled.

• Like 1

@neo-2FX from my experience I would avoid ADA if not putting too many plans in the tank. My tank doesn't have many plants and I feel the ADA soil is a bit of a waste in there considering it is fantastic for growing plants - plus as you know it takes a lot of time and patience to get your tank cycled.

Why don't shrimp keepers keep many stem plants? Is i t purely do they can see their shrimp easier?

What soil y'all thinking?

i cant give advice re substrate. but i agree as above 2 foot is a great size (bigger would be ok too) and im an eheim canister addict they are virtually faultless :-) i add a little macropore/purigen in them to help keep nitrates low) run an airsponge in my tanks as well as backup and for added oxygenation. this has been a great setup for me once i overcame my earlier nitrate issues.

i am happier with moss than stem because for me stem plants get in the way more when trying to catch shrimp.

ps i am semi-noob compared to many other here as u know so I'd take my advice with a pinch of salt ;-)

love n peace

will

• Like 1

Even though I no longer have any shrimp, or tanks minds you, I'd stick with the substrate you have left over, as you know it works well, stick to what you know I guess, plus you'll save coin also, filter wise, I'd go canister or air sponge, I've never used sponge though but have seen many, many successful shrimp tanks with sponge filters, I guess if you want the quiet approach go with the canister, if you don't mind a little noise go with the sponge, up to you, tank wise, stick with the same size perhaps, doesn't take up too much room, plus you can get a sweet colony going of shrimp, shrimp wise, stick to what you know, unless you want to explore over shrimp, nothing wrong with CRS at all, cool shrimp, great colour and once you have a nice colony going they will be easy to sell off, either culls or for the purpose to put the coin back into the tank and shrimp, plant wise, go with what you want, you already know how to successful grow HC (jealous), so why not test another plant, perhaps another carpeting plant, or perhaps stems, , as you know shrimp love mosses, could do a variety of moss tank, or do a complete carpet only tank, perhaps go down a variety of java fern tank.

Personally I would go with another full HC carpet, you already have easy access to the plant, you've proven you can successfully grow it in the conditions you have, but instead of adding stone and stems in the tank, add a piece of gold vine driftwood, something that the shrimp can crawl all over and explore, when the wood leaches tannins the canister filter will fix that when fitted with Bio Chem Zorb, when the wood grows a fungus as it does at times, the shrimp will love feeding on it, but that's me.

You could grab say 10 CRS off a member on here, 3 males, 7 females, a nice starting group and if all is well will breed in no time.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your input. Some very valid points here.

I guess I really want a larger tank but I don't have much room!

I'm thinking I either use the left over BEP or Benibachi...is there any advantages getting something like Benibachi over BEP?

Neo if your current set up is fine except for the stone, why don't you just do exactly the same thing but leave out the rocks. It should be fine then.

Do you use RO water? if not I would suggest switching over.

I can comment about those soils as I never used it but many SKFer use both and swear by them.

• Like 2

Neo if your current set up is fine except for the stone, why don't you just do exactly the same thing but leave out the rocks. It should be fine then.

Do you use RO water? if not I would suggest switching over.

I can comment about those soils as I never used it but many SKFer use both and swear by them.

That's a very good point. I think I may duplicate it minus the rock.

Few questions:

1. I've noticed lots of shrimpers don't use bright lights. Is that because they mainly have moss and don't require much light or to keep algae at a minimum?

2. What's the benefit of RO water? My tap water is 40ppm so not sure what other benefits RO water would have.

• Like 1

I would assume that the lack of bright light suit plants usually seen in shrimp tanks like slow growing Anubias, Java Fern, Buce, Crypt, Moss.

Never used RO so couldn't comment, have always used treated tap water or rainwater.

I think you should lean towards a carpeted HC tank, as you have easy access to the plant and in large numbers when needed, you know the plant grows well in your conditions also, as suggested above just don't add any stone to the tank.

You could do a carpeted HC tank with a small area of planted stems perhaps, that way it's still appealing to look at, the open area is suitable for shrimp to explore and for you to view and the small planted area is suitable for shrimp to again explore, breed in.

I would assume that the lack of bright light suit plants usually seen in shrimp tanks like slow growing Anubias, Java Fern, Buce, Crypt, Moss.

Never used RO so couldn't comment, have always used treated tap water or rainwater.

I think you should lean towards a carpeted HC tank, as you have easy access to the plant and in large numbers when needed, you know the plant grows well in your conditions also, as suggested above just don't add any stone to the tank.

You could do a carpeted HC tank with a small area of planted stems perhaps, that way it's still appealing to look at, the open area is suitable for shrimp to explore and for you to view and the small planted area is suitable for shrimp to again explore, breed in.

I think I may just do that! A section with some HC and moss and then the rest maybe just some goldvine.

Was tempted to get some lava rock from Bunnings but maybe I'll stay away from rock this time lol

@Disciple what kind of lights and filtration you run on your tanks?

Edited by neo-2FX

I switched to RO a couple of years ago when I go serious about shrimp keeping, my tap water is always around 40ppm too, the trouble is after a big storm or a lot of rain it's possible that the water gets contaminated with other stuff.  Obviously nothing harmful to people, but something copper is deadly to shrimp.  The only way to know what's going in your tank is to use RO.

My tank is also mostly moss, but that's due to the fact that I like mosses and it suits my scape better than stem plants!  The shrimp seem to like crawling all over and under the moss, before when I had a mixed tank the shrimp also loved the dwarf hairgrass carpet - lots of places to hide.  In terms of substrate, I used ADA but I can't remember if it was Amazonia or Malaya now, along with lots of honeycomb rock.  I wanted something that would be able to grow my mosses well but also buffer the Ph long enough if something went awry.  (I also had terrible trouble in a previous tank with the rocks like you did, so learnt that one the hard way!) I'm also using a fair amount of lights (a Maxspect R420r) but I only have it on for 8 hours a day.  The shrimp are more active in the lower light phases, but so long as they have plenty of places to hide if they feel like it I don't think it's a problem. 

One disclaimer: I think I'm at a T-6 months countdown on pulling this scape out and going for something simpler, so the above advice may be sub-optimal :)

1. I've noticed lots of shrimpers don't use bright lights. Is that because they mainly have moss and don't require much light or to keep algae at a minimum?

2. What's the benefit of RO water? My tap water is 40ppm so not sure what other benefits RO water would have.

Not sure if it was true or not but if the light is too bright the shrimp will hide more.

Since your tap water is low tds ro water is not important lol. But using ro lets you control exactly what is in your water.

I have up aqua led. I run 2215 ehiems and usually have sponge filter too.

@Jo Thanks for the comments. I've taken it onboard.

@Disciple I've noticed that in my tank. Seems the like to hide a bit more with my bright Up Aqua Pro Z LED.

I'm thinking I stick to my left over BEP unless someone can give me some good reasons for getting a specific shrimp soil.

I'm thinking I stick to my left over BEP unless someone can give me some good reasons for getting a specific shrimp soil.

Nothing wrong with using BEP.

I use it with my CRS. And I'd rate it above ADA and Benibachi.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with using BEP.

I use it with my CRS. And I'd rate it above ADA and Benibachi.

Thanks for the reply, jayc. It's been great so far in my other tank so I think I'll just use the left over.

Plus you'll save coin by using the left over soil and put that left over coin towards something you want to add or do.

Yes! Like paying bills etc. haha

Or a tiger, then put it in a tank, then you can say you have a tiger tank to shrimp keepers.

Great idea GC. Time to set up that Mr Aqua again hehe.