Future Planned Emersed Set Up

GotCrabs

So, I had to cancel plans to create an outdoors emersed aquatic plant set up in the back yard but I still have hope to do this in the near future, so thought I'd ask some questions, get some feedback and learn something a long the way.

I was going to use a large clear storage container with lid to place the substrate and plants in, substrate was going to be Eco Complete, I was going to mist once or twice each day.

Plants I was going to attempt were Anubias nana rhizomes, Bolbitis heidelotii rhizomes, Pogostemon helferi, Needle Leaf Java Fern rhizomes, Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini', Glossostigma elatinoides, the AR 'mini and Glosso were sent before I could cancel the orders so they should be here in a day or two, just not too sure what to do with them now, seeing I have closed all tanks down.

Now, time for questions...

1. Should I stick with an aquatic substrate for doing this emersed set up? or could I use normal potting soil?

2. With rhizome plants, should I just sit them on top of the soil, or should I glue/tie them to rock/rock/driftwood? 

3. Do I just keep the soil moist, or do I fill the tub up so only the soil is under water to the same level as the substrate, or slightly over?

4. Should they be kept in full sun, or part sun/shade?

5. When misting, is it OK to use normal tap water, or does it need to be treated, also, could it be possible to mix a fertilizer in with the water being misted?

6. Instead of substrate or potting soil, could those hydroponic balls be used to plant the plants into?

7. How long a light period should it be exposed to light? 

8. I have mosses, Weeping, Subwassertang, I was thinking of seeing how they went, should they just be placed on a rock/stone or sat in a container of water?

As I said above I have AR 'mini' and Glosso on it's way as it was sent before I could cancel and am not too sure what to do with it now, I could perhaps just plant it in the tank I have outside sitting on the outdoor setting table that has Blyxa Japonica, Weeping Moss and Subwassertang in, or should I just start a poor man's emersed set up with the AR 'mini' and Glosso? 

I don't think the Anubias or Bolbitis are a very good idea for an outside tub. They probably won't survive winter. Java is much more cold tolerant but won't likely do well either. I suspect Downoi would be an abject failure. 

1. Aquatic substrate? Time was that this was laterite capped with inert gravel. It still works better than active substrates, but people seem to like spending money these days. Serious plant dudes are still using laterite afaik. Potting mix is just pine bark, all organics = no good for aquaria. It rots. Use sand, gravel, clays, "loams". 

2. You can do either with rhizomes but they probably won't last in the setup anyway. If you have to try mount them so you can move them back inside when they start to melt. 

3. Up to you. If the plants are sub-grown when you get them you have to put them underwater or they'll die. In that case you let them start to grow out of the water and let the water level slowly drop. If you keep the substrate submerged you may have algae issues. If not you have to make sure it's not getting too dry or everything can die on you. 

4. Definitely part shade. Shade on an overcast day is far brighter than the best lit aquarium you've ever seen. Don't believe me? Buy a luxmeter and go check then. 

5. Yes. No. Yes. But - if it smells like a swimming pool from the tap better dechlorinate it, or sit it for a couple of days, or use rainwater = better. Weak fertiliser dude, if you're using a terrestrial one (like Aquasol for eg) then 1/4 or less than the weakest recommended rate. Should be well under 100ppm N. If you're using a clay sub then you probably don't need much or any other ferts. 

6. Clay hydro balls are too big. Look at Glosso - it will struggle to get a foothold in something like that. 

7. Natural daylength. Then you can observe the seasonal responses of the plants, like flowering. 

8. Small containers can become algae traps. Mosses should do fine outside otherwise but will die if choked with algae. A layer of duckweed on the surface can help a lot. They'll probably be better in the existing outdoor setup as will the AR (hopefully!) and Glosso. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that Kiz, appreciate it.

I HAD a tank outside sitting on the outdoor setting table, I had a look at it during the day and the 4 White Clouds in there were dead... my patience is getting lower, lower, lower... only thing I can put it down too was the water change I did yesterday, part rainwater, part tap water, I'm thinking I didn't treat it with conditioner though, so there is perhaps the problem... anyway, sigh... I now have I think enough substrate from that tank to put into a storage tub or small food containers placed in the tub, substrate is Fluval Shrimp Stratum, so that should be fine, once I get the AR 'mini' and Glosso, I'll plant them in, see how they go.

Again, thanks Kiz.