2' planted jungle tank

JacksonL

How have the new shrimp settled in Jackson?

pretty good, and they have made short work of the little bits of BBA algae I had. I lost 6 DAS in the first couple of days, they jumped out of the tank and I found them behind the stand unfortunately dried out, but I since have read that is normal with these guys. I will probably order a few more and another lot of Red Nose as they seem more interested in the thread algae that I have more of an issue with in this tank, but I will make up a fly screen cover on a frame to put over the tank for the first week until they settle in properly. Now that they have settled in I haven't had any more 'jumpers'.

• Like 1

Im also having a problem with the thread algae in my new setup, thought it may be because it's a new tank or because of the Co2 or maybe because the lights are too bright, perhaps all of the above

It's grown like mad over the past week. Just removed a lot by hand this afternoon. Hopefully when I get the shrimp in there they will help keep it under control. Will rilis eat this algae?

sorry to hear about your jumpers, wouldn't be a nice feeling to find your shrimp on the floor.

Excuse me for being naive, but what's DAS?:huh-:

DAS are Darwin Algae Shrimp. They look identical to Caridina longirostris but DNA analysis indicates they are seperate species. They have a good reputation for eating nuisance algae in planted aquariums. 

Im also having a problem with the thread algae in my new setup, thought it may be because it's a new tank or because of the Co2 or maybe because the lights are too bright, perhaps all of the above

It's grown like mad over the past week. Just removed a lot by hand this afternoon. Hopefully when I get the shrimp in there they will help keep it under control. Will rilis eat this algae?

sorry to hear about your jumpers, wouldn't be a nice feeling to find your shrimp on the floor.

the only thing in my tank that eats it seems to be the Darwin Red Nose.

Best way to remove it I've found is with a toothbrush and spinning it around like eating spaghetti with a fork. Mine sparked up after I did a fair bit of replanting and stirred up the soil, it seems to be lessening but still needs removal every few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks Fish mossy for clearing that up. :) I think I have some of those, something similar in the bottom tank. I might chuck a log in with it & see if they clean the black algae off. Cheers.

• Like 1