Shrimp MANIA!!!

Guest Astro

I'll check out Perth Aquarium on the weekend ;). 

Does anyone know what this Monster living in my tank is? Looks like something out of Alien! 

image.jpg

Started off as a worm looking thing with a tri forked tail now it has a moving head like a praying mantis. Will it eat my baby shrimp ? 

@Astro get it out now. It will eat your shrimp for sure. It probably already has eaten some.

Just got it out, what the hell is it. Horrible creature 

? aghhh I don't want any of my shrimp ate!!!!!! Looks like their was just the one 

The only way I can think of is in the micro sword it's pictured with. That plant came from a local store with soil. Normally because I rinse the plants petite introducing them but because the roots seemed so happy in the soil I thought I'd leave some with it. Seeing as it was a new setup and I had nothing in the tank at that stage I couldn't see the harm. It may have also arrived in the HC I recently purchased last week. 

Glad i got it out tonight, thanks again Diciple. Reminds me of the prawn killer thing I had in my tank when I was keeping salt water way back when. That thing whipped out all my fish before I even knew it existed. Was a shame to find it a new home in the freezer after I saw all the beautiful colours in it. But that thing was a killer!!!! 

What at is this thing? 

I forgot what its called when i remember I'll let u know.

Is it a dragonfly larvae?

edit: I meant Damselfly Larvae

Picture of one here, does this look like it? Second picture down:

https://mygreenspace.nparks.gov.sg/the-secret-life-of-dragonfly-larvae/

Edited by JacksonL

image.jpg

Exactly that, damselfly larvae , thanks JacksonL. 

Reading about them now 

Just picked up nay nano tank today, really want to try the DSM like Jackson. But I'm soo eager to fill it. Might just cycle it as said previously and start propagating plants until I aqua scape it later on and attempt a DSM Plus my Rillis/Oebt's are really happy with their current tank. I'm expecting babies any day soon?

I went to Perth Aquarium and display in Wangara today. OMG!!! I really want an ADA cube with stand now:excited:

soooooo! Expensive but the quality is exceptional. Maybe later next year once I have I get holidays/this new tank etc out of the way ;). 

Can an anyone recommend any good stores to visit while in Melbourne next year? 

pretty boring pic I know empty tank, but it will progressely get better.

will keep you all updated. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Make sure you visit (in no particular order):

- Nature Aquariums, Mont Albert

- Exotic Aquatic, Carnegie

- Subscape Aquarium, Richmond

- New Life Aquarium, Richmond (Billy is a top bloke!)

• Like 1

Thanks neo-2FX :) I'll work them into the itinerary.

Feeling devo right now!

Just set up my New tank today, was impatient so I will not be attempting the DSM on this tank as I was considering doing. 

Happy with the scape until I just read your post  "contemplating a second tank" 

? I used some Seiryu stone, not a huge amount but I don't want to be having any Issues like you have experienced. 

Should I quickly alter the scape now and take them out before everything settles in? 

I plan to use Co2 injections on this tank will the counteract the Seiryu or will the combo of the two cause my wp's to be more difficult to stabilize? 

Rocks shoukd be be relatively easy to remove now, but later on id have to strip the whole tank back.

image.jpg

Edited by Astro

Thanks neo-2FX :) I'll work them into the itinerary.

Feeling devo right now!

Just set up my New tank today, was impatient so I will not be attempting the DSM on this tank as I was considering doing. 

Happy with the scape until I just read your post  "contemplating a second tank" 

? I used some Seiryu stone, not a huge amount but I don't want to be having any Issues like you have experienced. 

Should I quickly alter the scape now and take them out before everything settles in? 

I plan to use Co2 injections on this tank will the counteract the Seiryu or will the combo of the two cause my wp's to be more difficult to stabilize? 

Rocks shoukd be be relatively easy to remove now, but later on id have to strip the whole tank back.

Damn! I'm not sure I'd have the patience myself, would just want to fill it up!!

Now's the best time to alter things while you still have the chance. It's up to you but I would get advice from @jayc on that question but I'd say CO2 and Seiryu would not be a great combination for shrimp.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not having huge issues it's just I don't see my shrimp thriving and breeding as much as I would have thought so going to get best of both worlds with two separate tanks [emoji1]

Edited by neo-2FX

I want my shrimp to thrive and breed  

? I think I'll take the stones out now. 

Thanks for the advice. glad I read your post tonight

Edited by Astro

Just saw this. 

Seiryu will alter KH and TDS, because it releases carbonates. As a result it might also alter pH.

CO2 might help the pH but it won't help the rise in KH & TDS.

It will be a constant battle to keep the water parameters stable.

Taking out the stone would be the easiest. 

Thanks for the advice guys!

I re-scaped the tank tonight without the stone.

will post a pic tomorrow when the dust settles ;)

atleast I'll have more room for the plants and shrimp now.

• Like 3

Hey guys, 

So here are some pictures of my tank now that it's been re-scaped without the Seiryu. I know the co2 diffuser looks terrible in there but hopefully soon it will covered by plants. Also not a fan of the intake and outlet hopefully later on I may try out those glass Lilly pipes. 

Lets see how things develop over the next couple of weeks. Already wishing I had of got a slightly larger tank, however I am enjoying this tank as a project. 

The Fluval Fresh and Plant LED is fantastic! So pleased I purchased this. Hopefully the plants respond well to the setup and then I can introduce some of the Rili's ☺️

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Looking great Astro.

Why didnt you use the inline diffuser?

Thanks Diciple!

the inline diffuser was cactus, after many attempts to get it to work I decided just to get one of these cheaper diffusers for the time being. Plus I plan for those plants to cover it quickly. Plus as the CO2 is a new venture for me I'm not to fussed looking at this piece of equipment for the time being ?

Thanks Diciple!

the inline diffuser was cactus, after many attempts to get it to work I decided just to get one of these cheaper diffusers for the time being. Plus I plan for those plants to cover it quickly. Plus as the CO2 is a new venture for me I'm not to fussed looking at this piece of equipment for the time being ?

what was the inline doing? Sometimes they just need the diffuser disk to have a soak in bleach to clean them out. 

You will probably need that diffuser in the open, if it get's surrounded by plants the flow around it will be restricted and the co2 won't be delivered to parts of the aquarium.

Oh man that sucks. Just return it to me on the weekend and I'll return you some cash.

Thanks for the offer Disciple but I'm happy with the deal I got from you ;) no need for cash back. I would try your advice Jackson on soaking it in bleach for a bit, however when I was at Aquotix on Sunday I asked them to take a look at it and they also couldn't get it to work so I decided to purchase the ufo diffuser and it ended up in the bin while I was there. 

Aghh! Oh well, another thing learnt. 

Another perfect example of not checking with forum members before making a decission like the previous stone mistake. Time I signed up for a membership, you are all so helpful with your advice and encouragement! 

• Like 1