Sign in to follow this  
GotCrabs

Potential Chameleon Shrimp Set Up

GotCrabs

Hi all, just looking into to doing an all Chameleon Shrimp only tank set up, I have a 27l tank which I had planned to do but decided against it, so now looking to perhaps do the same tank but with no plant life, except mosses, driftwood, just after some information for a I guess you could call a Chameleon Biotope tank.

Substrate? Flora? Water Parameters? 

The tank will be some time off from being started as I want to look into everything first.

Mosses I have in mind are Native Weeping Moss, mini Pellia, any others I could perhaps consider?

Driftwood will be a piece of Gold Vine.

Thoughts?

fishmosy

Dave at Aquagreen is probably the best guy to talk to with regards to the natural habitat of these guys. 

Alternatively you could set up a tank similar to that for Caridina serratirostris which is a very similar species. 

• Like 1

GotCrabs

Mods, please close this thread, thanks.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Adam Bomb
      By Adam Bomb
      Hello everyone! 
      My area of Michigan (48065) seems to be a black hole for shrimp enthusiasts, and my hope was to uncover folks I can buy shrimp (and hopefully moss) from locally. Since the pandemic has paused all face-to-face meetings for local clubs until further notice, it's been rough (and I can't imagine paying online retail ridiculous prices for shipped shrimp)!
      Since we only have the "City" field (for location) on profiles, is there a better way to find local people? I'd love any help you can offer. 
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Okay, so the title pretty much says it all... One of my berried tts just moulted, and she left the eggs in the moult. What happened, and why? 
      I'm going to try to save the eggs with some sort of extraction, and I'll be very careful. She was pretty far along. I think I'll use the net over bubbler method. Does anyone have experience with this, and particularly the extraction? I won't do anything until I have some idea to go off. 
      Thanks in advance.
      Crabby
      Oh and the moult is under like 2 hours old. Wasn't there when I started watching a movie, was there when I checked back after.
      Going off this video: 
      Hoping the process will be similar. 

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey folks!
      So I got myself a little 5 gallon (20L) recently (it was free!) to use for quarantine. I’m going to use it to qt some cory cats and maybe some tetras or gouramis for my community tank. The thing is, I’ve got it set up really nicely in my room and I want to have it actually stocked. I definitely don’t want a betta, but I found some super cute guppies on gumtree (Wild Thai Orchid) that I can never find locally. How many guppies do u think I could get in the tank?? The seller only has 4 pairs, so is selling in pairs but not trios, so that could have an affect on the amount. I also plan on adding shrimp, either of a neo or caridina variety, or native - like dae or chameleons. 
      So my questions are: how many guppies could go in the tank (assuming they breed and I keep the babies in with them for about a month each time), could I fit in anything else (with a pair or 4), like a couple of chilli rasboras or rocket killies, and will the shrimps be enough for a cleanup crew, or should I add an Otto or something?
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp.
      https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp
      Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable! 
      Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁
      (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page)
      post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Chels
      Thank you Simon!! L Bretz does ship to the lower USA so that's exciting. He has a ton of neos! I may add another blue velvet or 2. Aquahun's website is currently down so I wasn't able to check them out. Hope they're doing ok. Flip Aquatics by far has the best caridina selection.  We definitely keep the AC running, and always keep it about 68-70 room temp so that shouldn't be a problem. Right now here in the mountains it's in the 30s or less (we may get snow this week) but I haven't had to use the heater I bought. It's just an expensive algae collector at this point.  Just in case anyone else is looking, here are other breeders who ship in/to the US that I found: The Shrimp Farm Planet Inverts Elite Inverts AZ Gardens Lucky Aquatics Shrimp Envy Joe's Shrimp Shack  Shrimpery & Aquatics  So Shrimp
    • Chels
      Thank you so much, Simon!! I think I just spotted the 5th and newly hatched teeny tiny Malaysian Trumpet Snail in my tank this week. They are a Godsend honestly, because they dive down into the substrate and get every little piece of food, and there is plenty for them even after suctioning the substrate.  I had to start feeding every other day based on the frenzy, I think they have consumed most of the biofilm. My filter sponge was thick with algae and it looks nearly brand new. I have a ton of food and botanicals coming next week, til then it will have to be a tricky dance on the line of overfeeding.  I believe any freshwater shrimp would be a good meal for Tortuga the turtle. I've been able to give him fresh plants (except duckweed, I'm just not going there as I read it's a plague), fresh fish, fresh mealworms, and shrimp are really the only fresh food missing. I'll wait until I have over 20 to add to his tank, so hopefully he won't eat them all and they can propagate. I have mollies and platys in their now, the guppies never last long enough to breed. And a bn pleco but it's just a baby so it won't be eaten. Those little suckers move fast when they're babies!! I really shot myself in the foot though, since I now have a 10g and am looking at galaxy pintos. I am head over heels for shrimp!! It's super addictive. I will be asking a ton of questions the next couple months while that tank cycles. Sorry in advance. 😁
    • piste
      I can only speak to the short moves i have done...which I think would apply to anything up to a day's travel.  I just drained the tanks down to about 20% of capacity....more if needed to lower the weight so I could carry them....then just unhook...move...hook back up at destination and that's about it.  I mean it all depends on specifics....so long as them temps are allowed to stay in what a human would typically be comfortable at....good to go.   Good luck!  Oh...and just try and minimize agitation of the tank and water as much as possible when carrying.
    • Crabby
      Yeah I think betta mating, however beautiful, always ends of with some aggression and damaged fins.   That's so cute! I'll have to try peas. We have some growing in the garden, so there isn't the worry about it having pesticides or anything.    Thankyou! He just arrived today, looking splendid. I'll send some photos when he's settled in. Just double checking right now that I've got similar parameters to the ones jayc recommended to you. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      We get that a lot thaat snails are introduced with plants, they may have been eggs on the plant etc. Still, snails aren't a bad thing ad as long as you keep on top of the numbers they are another dimension to an aquarium. The majority of snails need a saltwater/brackish stage for reproduction so depending on what the black one is you may never get babies with that one, this means they never become a problem but you need to restock every now and again! I use assassin snails which are much slower at reproducing than the Malaysian Trumpet snails but occassionally I have to give some away to friends. Overfeeding is such a common problem. Really, shrimp feeding is a top up and treat as the shrimp eat biofilm most of the day, though obviously there needs to be enough biofilm in the tank to sustain the shrimp and with 15 shrimps in a 2g tank they will need some extra food over the biofilm probably! It sounds as though you are doing everything right! Keep it up! When you get boring/wild type shrimps they will make a nice treat for your turtle? Simon