SKF welcomes Astro to our community

skfadmin

Hello Astro,

Welcome to Shrimp Keepers Forum.

Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

regards,
skfadmin

Hi,

have been meaning to sign up for months. Use to have a beautiful shrimp setup which gifted to somebody while moving house. Would like to start a new tank now but would like to try something other than cherry shrimp. As shrimp are currentlydifficult to locate in Perth can anybody point me in the rite direction please?

cherrs :) 

Edited by Astro

Yeah it was a family member that I gifted it to, so I can still appreciate it :) 

thanks for for the welcome ;) 

Welcome to the forums mate.

What is your current set up and what ate the shrimps you are aiming for? I am sure there will be someone that can be help you out.

Hi Disciple, thanks for the welcome.

I have a 100L planted tank that I plan to start my colony, no fish at this stage as they have just upgraded their living quarters to larger 450L tank. 

I'd like to try yellow, blue or the red and white crystal shrimp. Sorry I don't know all of the different species names as I'm still a novice and have only had experience with cherry shrimp.

I'm also looking at nano tank setups at the moment to create an awesome display tank for my shrimp and favourite plants once I get up and running again.

If you can make any suggestions of a good species to get get me started again Im also happy to be advised :)

Thanks Raukem,

Just priced a 600mm nano tank today on my day off. They are really affordable. Just working out where to position it in the house and start designing a stand for it. Also doing my homework on the best lighting and filtration setup for it. Thinking of going with LED lights and a mini canister filter. Think I'll use benibachi soil as my substrate. Just added some to the 100L tank today. Now all I need is some shrimp :hai-there:

If you can offer ann advice on the nano setup eg Lighting filtration etc I would greatly appreciate it :) 

Thanks Raukem,

Just priced a 600mm nano tank today on my day off. They are really affordable. Just working out where to position it in the house and start designing a stand for it. Also doing my homework on the best lighting and filtration setup for it. Thinking of going with LED lights and a mini canister filter. Think I'll use benibachi soil as my substrate. Just added some to the 100L tank today. Now all I need is some shrimp :hai-there:

If you can offer ann advice on the nano setup eg Lighting filtration etc I would greatly appreciate it :) 

I bought an Aquael Smart ShrimpTank set off Tech Den so it comes with a sponge filter, a LED light (better than old version) and a heater. I didn't like the filter comes with it so I bought an Eheim Aquacompact 40 at Vebas. They had it on sale.

I used Up Aqua clip LED lights and Beamworks for my nano tanks as they had mainly low light plants and mosses.

Cheers.

What are the wp for the 100 ltr tank.

Raukem bought the crs i had for sale. Might have some in a month.

Wp? Water parameters?

tank is 23oC ph 7

i would be happy with any shrimp at the moment. Empty tank is depressing! I have another 20L tank that I use to keep some of my cherrys in. Set it up again today in the spare room. Thinking maybe I could aim to have two shrimp tanks on the whilst I get the proposed nano set up :)

It's  good to be enthusiastic with my aquariums again. When we moved I had to down size to make the transition easier. New house has lots of space, wish to have more well thought out displays like our new 400L discus setup. 

This is our discus setup, will post a pick of the 109L water is still settling after adding the beni bachi soil today 

image.jpg

Thanks, plan for it to be even nicer once the Anubis and the crypts grow. 

Thanks for the welcome Fishmosy,

Trying to upload a picture of the new shrimp setup but it keeps coming up with an alert about the file size. Was able to upload the previous image easily. Is this because I'm new to the community? 

I thought I replied in the morning :confident:

Do you know what the TDS, GH and KH of your tank?

I am just asking because if you want CRS they will survive in 7ph but they wont thrive. Also depending on the other water parameters they might even struggle. 

But if you want to keep yellow or blue cherries it should be ok.

Thanks for the welcome Fishmosy,

Trying to upload a picture of the new shrimp setup but it keeps coming up with an alert about the file size. Was able to upload the previous image easily. Is this because I'm new to the community? 

What's the file size? For non subscribing members the upload limit is 2MB.

Thanks NoGi , I have tried to lower the quality of the image but the message says I'm only alowed to up 20.48kb first image uploaded easy no problems. Perhaps that was too large and now I only have 20.48kb left? 

As as for your questions Diciple, I've never tested for those elements in the tank just simple Ph, Temp, ammonia nitrates and nitrites. Perform a water change on the tanks every week.

Sounds like the CRS are off my list as possibilities with this tank as I have no experience with testing TDS, GH, and KH at this stage. Perhaps I should just get some of my cherries back.

I would like to try something knew though like the yellow or blue shrimp, anything really to give me more experience.  

Sorry guys im new to posting on forums and only know the basics of how to care for a fresh water tanks. Have never had any major problems and all my fish and past shrimp have been happy and healthy from my observations :) 

Dont be sorry mate.

I am glad you are letting me know. You are not far off. We just need some more info and can maybe give you advise on how to tweak your wp.

You are able to get tds pens quite cheaply from our sponsors.  You can also also gh and kh test kits easily. If you can test these it help you look after your shrimp.

I have some blue gene red rili culls if you want to try them for free.

Unfortunately i dont have blue or yellow cherries. Other members may have some to sell.

Yeah! 

Id love to take you up on that offer :) :) 

That is really generous of you. The rili shrimp look cool. Do they grow to the same size as the cherries? 

Ill start researching those test kits you mentioned and see how I can up my shrimp keeping expertise!

Will help having some shrimp to get me started again. 

They are a type of cherry shrimp. Just a different pattern.

Thanks again Disciple,Your time taken to offer advice and help get me started up again keeping shrimp has been invaluable.

Will keep you updated with how I progress over the next couple of weeks.

shrimp have settled in nicely!

Actually need to get that nano tank setup sooner than later. It's really uncomfortable spending so much time watching these guys settle in where I currently have this tank setup, laundry/dogs bed room :).

Hopefully very soon I will be able to make this tank my cull tank and have the nano as the sit back and relax viewing tank.

• Like 1

So my Rilis have settled in nicely!

Burried female is still burried, her eggs look really golden and opache.

Noticed one of the other females appears to be ready to carry if she isn't already.

Lost quite a bit of sleep last night reading about the different species and sub strains. Once I have my Rili population increasing and I'm confident with my WP id like to see if I could obtain some blue tiger's to introduce. Already found an excuse to start planning another tank (after the nano) I really love the Snowball shrimp, they are my second favourite after the Blue Tigers at this stage and I can't keep them with my rilis because they are in the same sub species rite? 

First thing first though I'm looking forward to getting my rilis to the stage where I can start culling and improving their grade :confident:

I love them! and they are on the fore front of my focus at this stage as they will be educating me to be a better shrimp keeper as in exchange I hopefully assist their community to expand and thrive.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have been studying lol