GotCrabs

So as some of you know I have a thing for Chameleon Shrimp, so when I decided to re-do my tank and add only Chameleon Shrimp with no other Shrimp and some Threadfin Rainbows, I thought they would all be fine seeing the Threadfin Rainbows have such a small mouth and throat.

So today I decided to have a little scope around the tank to see if I could find any Chameleon and have to say I'm pretty disappointed, so far have only found 3 adults, out of a possible 40+.

I'm gathering the Threads have taken to the Chams, sadly.

So what now? Do I just leave the tank with what Chams are left in there amongst the Threads? Or, should I look to do a small Cham only tank? Really not too sure, wanted to just focus on 1 tank, but now... not too sure, I do really like the idea of a Cham only tank.

Could it be unheated? Seeing it's indoors? Does it need to be filtered? Seeing it's a Cham only tank? Should I go for a small planted Betta tank? Or a small planted Nano tank? Or, could I perhaps do a planted plastic/glass vase or bowl? Ideas are there, the Chams aren't though, a bit disappointing really.

Edited by GotCrabs

I always find the chameleons are EXCELLENT hiders, I put a few in my 4ft tank with threadfins, corydoras, otocinclus, Borneo suckers and Riffle shrimp. So far the only times I have actually located the chameleons is when I cause MAJOR disruption in the tank. Mainly moving all the plant life and logs and basically anything the shrimp could and would be hiding on, under or in. Once I have basically chased everyone out of hiding holes I am always pleasantly suprised to find plenty of chameleons and Riffle shrimp still all in attendance, if a little miffed about being dislodged. Even in the tank that has lots of blackmore river shrimp I can rarely locate the chameleons that I know are in there, they just prefer the hollow log and being under the leaf litter instead of being out in the open.

If you do go for another tank with just chamleons then I would go at least 30-40 L, with heater, light and filteration. Plants I would say are a must as is some nicely aged timber and good old IAL. The main thing I have found with native shrimp is to do as Dave suggests and pre-age the water before doing water changes, this seems to really be the main way of ensuring the shrimps survial, thriving and breeding.

• Like 2

Cheers Baccus, when I've gotten over with having the shits about this I'll think about another tank see what happens, would really like another tank but just really wanted to focus on one for now.

Crabs i don't think the Threadfins will have eaten your Chameleons, i had Threadfins along with Spotted blue eyes ( Gertrudae) together with Cherries and the cherries thrived.  The shrimp multiplied from around Ten to about 500 over a very short time, i think just as Baccus said they will be hiding.

If you end up setting up another tank for them, go at least 20L. Definitely filtered. My little chameleon setup has been fantastic (20L approx.). The chameleons are always out in the open BUT I dont give them lots of hiding places and there is no fish in the tank. 

• Like 1

Oh I forgot to mention detris in the tank seems to be what the native shrimp love most of all too. I know it looks horrid and if you do ANY movement in the tank then it goes murky.....but trust me the native shrimp seem happiest picking around in the mulm. Sometimes with the really tiny babies its the only way I can first spot them, seeing a bit of tank dirt dancing about as the shrimp picks it up and feeds off/ cleans it. And even though snails are the bane of almost all shrimp keepers I often see the shrimp blissfully eating snail poo. I am wondering if its a gut flora thing like cows licking each other to get gut flora and kangaroo joeys and koala joeys eating their mothers crap to kick start their gut flora.

• Like 1

• fishmosy locked this topic