New Tank

cjwuna

Hi all, 

I've had a few different freshwater and marine tanks, worked in and fish shops, and had heaps of different bits and pieces over the years. One thing I haven't had a lot to do with is Fresh water Planted tanks and Shrimp, which is why I am here, keen as mustard to get into something new!! :)

I had to shut my 6ft Acro tank down about a year ago and i am now keen as to get back into it.

I've set up and have been cycling a 2x1x1 tank, have a small layer of gravel, java moss and some driftwood in it.

A 15w T8 fluro above the tank, small heater and for filtration an Ehiem canister with expanded clay, clay tubes, coarse sponge, some fine sponge and finally some fine white filter floss. 

There is good flow through the tank, with no overly rapid areas or surface disturbance.

I am planning on placing some fly screen over the filter intake in an attempt to reduce shrimp getting sucked through the filter.

1.I come to you to ask what you think of the above setup for keeping shrimp and if you have any recommendations/alterations/feedback?

2. What would be a good variety of shrimp to keep? (Bright colours, decent size, fast breeders)

3. What are the ideal tank parameters for above species? (PH,GH,KH,Temps etc)

4. Where can I source some of the above specimens? (WA)

5. Tank mates for shrimp or should they be kept alone?

6. Best plants to grow in shrimp tanks (IE fit in and flourish in shrimp parameters)

7. Tips on having above plants flourish

If you can help me out with any of the above I would be  stoked and very appreciative!

Kind Regards, 

CJ 

• Like 1

Welcome. Your desired setup sounds interesting. The only comment I have at this stage is to ensure your flyscreen material is shrimp safe. Most of us use stainless steel or filter sponge to cover the intake,

• Like 2

Yup, look into a stainless steel mesh guard, you can get them cheap off of eBay for like $2, it'll fit straight over the Eheim intake.

• Like 1

Awesome thanks, I had a poke around on ebay and found a stainless filter intake that's shrimp friendly!! ? got that on the way. The gravel I have is  a little coarse, similar to the size of what the plants come in from shops.. Recon that will be ok?

• Like 1

The tank thus far, was in a rushing  just chucked a few things in there. Up north working for 3 weeks then it will be time to fill will livestock. 

Stainless inlet cover on the way! 

Thanks for help and feedback 

mms_img1675296519.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome thanks, I had a poke around on ebay and found a stainless filter intake that's shrimp friendly!! ? got that on the way. The gravel I have is  a little coarse, similar to the size of what the plants come in from shops.. Recon that will be ok?

Yeah that'll be no worries, if your keeping Cherries, CRS or Natives.

The tank thus far, was in a rushing  just chucked a few things in there. Up north working for 3 weeks then it will be time to fill will livestock. 

Stainless inlet cover on the way! 

Thanks for help and feedback 

mms_img1675296519.jpg

Nothing wrong with that at all, Shrimp will have a field day in there!

• 2 weeks later...

New scape, substrate, different plants, changed out intake and outlet pipes. Continued to cycle, looking to stock shortly!

mms_img269177698.jpg

I reckon when you're back from work, do a water change before introducing livestock.

Shoot @Disciple a PM, he might be able to help you out shrimp livestock.

WPs depend what shrimp you are after. Cherries should be fine but ideal WPs to keep CRS:

Temp 22~23

TDS 125~150

PH 6.5~6.8

GH 3~4

Dwarf freshwater fish should be ok as long as shrimplets won't fit in the fish mouths. If you keep expensive shrimp, I reckon shrimp-only tank would be better.

I reckon when you're back from work, do a water change before introducing livestock.

Shoot @Disciple a PM, he might be able to help you out shrimp livestock.

WPs depend what shrimp you are after. Cherries should be fine but ideal WPs to keep CRS:

Temp 22~23

TDS 125~150

PH 6.5~6.8

GH 3~4

Dwarf freshwater fish should be ok as long as shrimplets won't fit in the fish mouths. If you keep expensive shrimp, I reckon shrimp-only tank would be better.

At this stage I'm just going to start out with cherries.

Yeah @Diciple has been showing me the way from day dot, very knowledgable and happy to help! LEGEND (Y) (Y) 

?I've read from a few different places chrerries don't mind warmer water (24-27 degrees), tank sits at around 19 without the heater on so I can drop to those temps no problem.

?What do people use to keep temps down through summer small fans or a small chiller?

As of last night my WP are as follows;

?GH 2 (Ive seen you can set something called shrimp salt or the like to bring this up, any retailers sell this or is it an online job?)

?KH didn't seem to  read, used the API test and it was supposed to change from orange to green I think, this never happened, even after 25 odd drops. The colour change may have been super subtle and I missed it.

Ammo 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate <5ppm

Ph 6.8 

TDS is unknown as I am still waiting for a TDS meter in the mail.

I know ideally shrimp only tanks are best for the shrimp but I am keen to keep some otto cats (I have heard they are quite placid) I have also had a friend who successfully kept gold halfbeaks with cherries. 

I would initially keep a shrimp only and when I have a thriving population trial with ottos and halfbeaks.

Anyone keep planted tanks with shrimp or does it get tricky keeping plants and shrimp happy with the complications regarding fert and CO2 dosing make it too difficult?

Cheers

cherries arent too fussed with wp, getting to the taiwan shrimp is when you want to start watching the dosing of ferts/co2. you would probably want to just keep the tank very simple then with just moss plants that dont require fert/co2 etc.

Awesome Roger that!  Put in 8 rcs earlier today, all active and feeding!  

mms_img269177698_2.jpg

mms_img269177698_3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice setup :) 

careful though as I have witnessed ottos actively eating baby shrimp in one of our tanks !!! 

Removed them quick smart :)