Cooper Creek

Aquarium: Mr Aqua 12g (90cm x 21cm x 24cm)

Filter: Eheim 2213 Canister with API Bio Chem Zorb and Stainless Steel Mesh Guard

Lighting: BeamWorks 90cm LED (8 Hours, 4 on, 2 off, 4 on)

Heating: Aqua One 50w Glass Heater (26c)

Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum (8kg)

Flora: Native Vallisneria, Corkscrew Vallisneria, Blyxa Japonica, Anubias nana, Bolbitis heudelotii, Windelov Java Fern, Trident Java Fern, Narrow Leaf Java Fern, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Subwassertang

Fauna: Iriatherina werneri (Threadfin Rainbow), Caridina sp WA 4 (North Australian Chameleon Shrimp)

Hardscape: Malaysian Driftwood

Food: Boss Aquaria Shrimp Crack, Benibachi Kale Tablets, Sera FD Bloodworms, Serene Aquarium Algae Discs

Additives: Aqua One Water Conditioner, AquaGreen Dinosaur Pee, AquaGreen Dinosaur Spit, Boss Aquaria Mineral Balls, Boss Aquaria Mineral Powder

In Memory of Cooper

3c70470c-9d91-48c6-9efe-d4cb4ceea82e_zps

I've been wanting to do a rescape of the Mr Aqua 12g for some time now but wasn't sure what road I wanted to go down and which direction to go with in regards to the tank, I've always wanted a certain shrimp only tank but wasn't sure which, having been a massive fan of the Chameleon Shrimp for a long time I thought for starters I'd go with them but them only in regards to shrimp in the aquarium, so this made me think, perhaps I could lean towards a native Australian tank, so thought why not see if I can find some small native Australian fish to add to the tank, so after looking through AquaGreen's site I decided to purchase a group of Iriatherina werneri, also known as Threadfin Rainbow, these fish when purchased are small, 2cm/2.5cm and reach 5cm at their largest, sounds perfect to me, so the Threadfin and Chameleon are on the shopping list.

I wanted to use  a very few number of plants, I didn't want this and that all thrown into the tank as what I have in the past, so decided to go with Native Vallisneria, Corkscrew Vallisneria, Blyxa Japonica, Anubias nana, Bolbitis heudelotii, Windelov Java Fern, Trident Java Fern, Narrow Leaf Java Fern and Subwassertang, I wanted most of the vegetation planted to the right of the tank so that the current from the filter outflow would push the Vallisneria towards the left side of the tank, I was happy with the right side being built up and planted, although the left side was quite bare, so as suggested from a fellow SKF member (Callan), I slightly built up the substrate on the left and planted to help hide the filter intake.

I took my time in regards to rescaping this tank, for a change, I'm usually rushed and in a hurry to get it all sorted and took my time filling the tank up with tap water, having taken just over half an hour to fill as I didn't want the flow too strong and disturb the planted vegetation, once the tank was full and Aqua One Water Conditioner was added, I also added 4 pebbles to create a some what native under water look but wasn't happy with them, so out they went.

I'm actually more than happy with the end result, I will how ever look to purchase some more pieces of Blyxa Japonica and Vallisneria.

All feedback, comments, hints, tips are welcome.

Thank You.

Edited by GotCrabs
  • Like 4

Looks good mate! I think it will look great when it grows in and the val is stretching out over the tank!

Liver pool creek have thread fins for a good price atm so might be cheaper then Aqua green? they will look amazing in there! 

Edited by buck
  • Like 1

Looks good mate! I think it will look great when it grows in and the val is stretching out over the tank!

Liver pool creek have thread fins for a good price atm so might be cheaper then Aqua green? they will look amazing in there! 

Had a look and they didn't have any Thredfins on site, plus I'm getting the Chameleons from AquaGreen.

Yeah I agree with the Vall, will look good once it's stretched out.

• Like 1

Nice job GC it looks great. Agree that when that Val grows and starts floating along the top of the water will really ping it. The light wall behind makes the plants stand out as well. Well done mate.

Will look even better when you get your live stock and the threadfin start schooling up in the tank. I like the dark substrate as well.

Received the Threadfin Rainbows and Chameleon Shrimp today, ordered 10 Threads and received 14, also ordered 20 Chams and received 40, can't complain about that, here are a couple photos of the Threads.

IMG_0424.PNG

IMG_0425.PNG

Edited by GotCrabs
  • Like 3

Realised I didn't have any food to feed the Threads so got some fish flake food and crushed it until it was a very fine powder, sprinkle a little in the tank and off the Rainbows go, nice colour, really active and they get a long great with the Chameleon Shrimp, the Chams are getting around care free, have no hassles at all from the Threads, even the juvenile Chams can get around without any dramas, also the Threads have gotten used to the light and aren't skitish towards it no more and are roaming freely just below the surface, 

• Like 1

man this makes me want a thready tank soooooooooooo bad!

they looks really good!

giphy.gif

lol love it!

Your using my motivational secrets!! 

• Like 1

i only just set up a little hex tank for my misso, if it wasnt >20L i would get some threadys for it but i think its just too small

I am trying to convince the dictator of finance to let me get another tank. Would like these or blue eyes lol

i only just set up a little hex tank for my misso, if it wasnt >20L i would get some threadys for it but i think its just too small

Mine is a 45l and have 14 in there, you could get say.. 6 to go in?

I am trying to convince the dictator of finance to let me get another tank. Would like these or blue eyes lol

How many do you have? 

Only 3 lol was only suppose to have one. I'll get another one somehow...

Only 3 lol was only suppose to have one. I'll get another one somehow...

I've just got the one now, but the thought is still crossing my mind about a Chameleon only tank, haha.

• Like 1

yeah id feel in such a little tank, at least in yours they have length to swim. i think i might need to get a book shelf tank LOL

With the hex tank im up to 12 operational tanks... and i think 5 that are dry atm

What empty tanks you got? Size wise? You could get a nice school going in a largish tank.

i've got 2x2.5ft 1x2ft and 2 nanos, i could have them in the 2.5ft but i dont have the room/ lights and filter or money to wast on it.... i think i just need to be happy with the 12 tanks i have running hahaha the power bill is already cray

Beautiful tank mate. Will be even better as it matures. 

I've actually ordered some more Native Vallisneria and Blyxa Japonica to plant in, some of the Blyxa I have in there at the moment is melting, it's been treated like crap to be honest so I'm not surprised it's not doing well, so have ordered 9 pieces of Blyxa and a couple pieces of Vall, once I have that planted in I'll be happy with it and let it do it's thang!

Edited by GotCrabs

So here is a clip of the tank, sorry for the poor quality, good ol' iPhone 5s, can't stand it!

I have more Blyxa coming which I will use to replace some of the existing Blyxa and fill in some of the edges around the main vegetation, will also be including some more Vall.

Tank is a little messy due to fish flake on the substrate, I have some fry food coming also, for the Threadfins, can't seem to see any Chameleon Shrimp, which is odd seeing there were like 40+ in there, I'm hoping the Threads haven't eaten the Chams, shouldn't have seeing they all got a long well yesterday when I was wtching.

Anyway, here you go, again, sorry for the quality.

Sorry all, the clip was shocking quality so I took it off.

Edited by GotCrabs