Wild, I'm guessing

Baccus

I know she is considered only a wild type, but I think she still shows beauty in her patterning.

P1090295_zpse9kpdeaf.jpg

P1090288_zpsoydxmf5d.jpg

P1090289_zpsarek78tz.jpg

• Like 2

• HOF Member

Some of the wild types are beautiful in their own right. Why is it people like Tiger shrimp but not the same pattern in cherries. I have had beautiful pale blues and greens, yellows and reds with stripes but never tried to stabilise the lines because they are technically culls and there is no interest. 

• Like 1

I think the trick is to "talk up" the culls make them seem desirable to more people by making a wow song and dance about them. I think some of the problem with people " not liking" culls is that in all honesty when do people get to see them? Everyone tends to only show pictures of the "best of the best" but skip over showing the poorer(?) relations even if they all stemed from the same stock.

I know my wild types as above came from choc culls and some where along the lines I did have some yellows and rilli's getting about. Now my "wilds" throw all sorts of colours, shrimp with green tinges, blue, tinges and yellow tinges. So ultimately I think if somebody had the room and time these "wilds" could produce some astounding variations. Plus I think because most people when first getting into shrimp want to keep them with potential predators ie fish the "wild" ones might stand a better chance of survival over say a neon red nice ripe looking cherry. The other bonus I think of "wilds" is that they have better genetic diversity and are overall hardier. Because lets face it some of the line bred colour morphs are pretty fussy when it comes to water paramaters.

So everyone here is the challange show us your "culls" and hopefully these forgotten gems can get more peoples appreciation.

• Like 2

i totally agree with all the above. me personally I've seen some fantastic patterns in cherries with lovely vertical or horizontal stripes of various colours and wondered why noone has linebred them so far. i have a hunch that if someone did line-breed such traits and hyper them up as mentioned, by baccus then it would become a new trend... i don't see why not. i think many neo specimens look amazing without having solid colouration.. also why is it that the traditional rili (solid head and tail with clear middle section) is the only "pattern" that is linebred? why not solid front and clear back or solid back and clear front or just lines or spots of colour? Someone should take it upon themselves to attempt it. all it would take is some good photos and people will love them im sure ! love n peace will

Chocolates throw some interesting culls. Here are a couple in my tank:

var Clear

IMG_3711.thumb.JPG.0e157183203cb23d7422b

var Blue Tiger

IMG_3766.thumb.JPG.eda0cb6e475cc87b7edc1