Franken-shrimp

Baccus

Out nice and early this morning tank gazing when I spied a HUGE female cherry shrimp, this monster can rival the BN fry for size and literally dwarfs all the other shrimp. If I didnt know better I would almost think she was a wayward typhus.

I tried to get some pictures of this freak, but between her being good a hiding and a few dozen hungry guppies getting in the way all the photos I took are blurred and horrid. I will definantly try to track her down and get some photos hopefully with her against some other shrimp/ fish for size.

But in the mean time, I will ask a couple of questions

1. Even though this huge shrimp is not a fantastic colour (what I call wild type but with a stripe down the back and maybe a tich darker than true wild), would you use her to try and breed more HUGE cherry shrimp.

2. If I did single her out, who do I try breeding her too? As big a male as I can find? And should I aim for better colour or just massive size?

3. Would people be interested in huge cherry shrimp no matter the colour? I know lots of people when they first see cherry shrimp exclaim "$5 for that? Its tiny!".

• Like 2

1. I would.

2. Big male, selecting offspring for size, then colour. 

3. Colour is important. Big + colour is an awesome combo. That said, people always comment that they like the size of riffle shrimp, even if they cant rival the colours of other shrimps. 

+1

Sounds like a awesome project

I finally tracked her down (pretty sure its the same freak shrimp its certainly another large one if it isnt), she was not very co-operative but here goes. The net she is in is 8cm x 6cm for some scale.

P1090339_zpsuahhohdk.jpg

P1090341_zps0hbaafec.jpg

• Like 1