Chameleon Shrimp Foods

GotCrabs

Hi all, just wondering what Chameleon Shrimp keepers feed their Chameleons, I have plans to do a Chameleon Shrimp only tank and was wondering what foods are right, I've used Shrimp Crack in the past, what else can I look at? Algae discs? 

So far I have not found an easy to optain (ie from any general pet shop rather than having to specifially order certian foods), foods that the chameleons are certain to go nuts for or come out of hiding especially to scoff.

Mine do have a large hollow log that they are almost always picking over, they do like mulberry leaves and IAL, they get Tetra tropical fish flakes daily, they also get algea sinking wafers (which they are sort of interested in but usually only after the snails have swarmed it), wardly sinking shrimp pellets they also seem to like, and sinking catfish wafers, every so often I also give my tanks Nori sheets which everyone seems to like. Hope this gives you some ideas on what they might like to eat.

• Like 1

Cheers Baccus, actually looked at the Wardley pellets, will probably grab a container of them, some Shrimp Crack and maybe Kale tablets also.

Just whatever I'm feeding at the time - mostly Boss snow or crack, benibachi kale tablets, kale, mulberry leaves. They dont seem to be too fussy.

• Like 1

I even feed mine bloodworms once a week. Other than that kale, spinach, my homemade shrimp food, Sera shrimp food, mosura Gro Plus. As Fishmosy said mine aren't fussy either.

• Like 1

They are not to fussy in regards to food, where they come from they feed on Algae, Leaves and from time to time they will find a bit of fish scraps, they do live in heavy cover, plants and leaf litter.

I think if you kept a range of different foods you will cover all there needs, I am like Mossy I use what ever is being feed to the other fish and shrimp at the time

Bob 

• Like 1

Cheers lads, at the moment I'm thinking Bloodworms, Shrimp Crack, Kale Tablets, going to have Threadfin Rainbows in the same tank, so they'll feed on crushed fish flake also, I would assume the Threads will also feed on Bloodworm.

Thread fins have a small mouth, so may be small blood worms.

I have to say it Thread fins in the wild are good to see, you can sit and look for hours, talk about politics in the populations of little fighters, but only in the wild in tanks they are AOK, In the wild it looks like they hunt all over the plants picking off small bugs of all sorts, they are in still back waters and ponds off the main rivers, so don't like a lot of water movement if that helps keeping them.

There was Gold ones kicking around up here a few years back, don't know what happened to them.

Bob

• Like 1

Yeah was thinking that I'd shave Bloodworms down to a smaller size for the Threads so they can eat more easier, also I'd imagine the Chameleons would graze on left overs also.

Just finished rescaping the tank, I'm actually very happy with the outcome, for a change... circulation is good, but not too strong, I'll put a thread up on it, called 'Cooper Creek'.