Problems with shrimp discription "SUNKIST"

wayne6442

Everyone one has heard of the descriptive word "Sunkist"used to describe various orange coloured shrimp, and is used frequently here in Australia to describe our Neocaridina Heteropoda var Orange ( cherry shrimp).

I recently saw a can of orange soft drink in a supermarket and decided to do a little research on the word "Sunkist". I have discovered that the word "Sunkist" is in fact a registered trademark word Registered by America's largest citrus fruit growers co/op called Sunkist Growers inc. In 1908 the then California Fruit Growers Exchange, changed its name to Sunkist Growers inc. The word 'Sunkist"exists as a trademark for citrus fruit, and was registered as part of the trademark for Sunkist Growers inc on the 18th October 2011. Sunkist Growers inc have licence agreements to various foreign companies in over 50 countries around the world ( eg Schweppes Australia)

Since registration in 2011 the Sunkist Growers inc are actively persuing and prosecuting, companies, organizations and individuals using the word "Sunkist" alone or in combination with other words,without their expressed permission. A number of prosecutions are in front of the courts world wide at this time.

It is unknown if anyone in the shrimping community has been prosecuted as yet but reading between the lines i feel that it will only be a matter of time before someone IS procecuted.Personally I feel that now would be a good time to stop using the word "Sunkist"in the discription of our Neo. H. var orange shrimp Before it becomes well established in this country.

What are your thoughts?

well i do prefer calling them pumpkin shrimp :) but unfortunately it already describes another shrimp species

Yes I found that out also, The first shrimp that was called Sunkist was a Caridina cf Propinqua ( I think Bee Shrimp)and then later another orange Cardina cf lanceolata was given the title as well., makeing three species of shrimp in the hobby called Sunkist causes a lot of confusion overseas.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing "Sunkist" is sort of a trademarked spelling of the phrase "sun kissed". So I assume you could still call them "sun-kissed" without getting in trouble for copyright infringement :)

"Sun kissed" was the original word that they used prior to 1908. They changed it to sunkist as an easier word to defend as a trademark. I should think "Sun-Kissed"would be OK to use. I didn't go that far back to see if they had it registered before, as a trademark.. I feel safe enough using "Sun-Kissed" to represent my Orange line bred cherry shrimp!

I would like to suggest that we in Australia Refer to the Neocaridina Hetropoda var Orange as "Sun-Kissed"therefore reducing the chance of anyone of us being sued for breach of trademark laws.

Why not just call it an Orange Cherry ?

• Like 1

fanta cherry lol ??

Could call the chocolates "Coke Cherrys" and really p*** coca-cola off lol !

"fanta" is a registered trade name as well. I agree just "Necaridina Heteropoda var Orange" OR "Orange Cherry Shrimp" would be OK and those who want to elaborate, could use "Sun- kissed,"All the above will keep people out of trouble.

what about plain old ranga shrimp....

That would just p*** Julia Gillard off -walks off whistling innocently-

Personally, I prefer

var Orange

var Brown

Etc....

Less likely to get sued by anyone and consistent naming with Red and Yellow cherries.

• Like 1

I tend to agree with Nogi. I think the name sunkist just sounds trendier than var. Orange. I would also like to add that the sunkists I have seen vary greatly in colour. I would like to include in the description 'pale' (leaning towards yellow) and 'bright/solid/vibrant (being a more typical orange colour). The colour is so subjective anyway, that I think good photos need to accompany verbal descriptions.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going with Nogi on this one. As a noob and I have heard of sunkist, but probably never use the name sunkist, cause I don't like sunkist, cause sunkist isn't my flavour. I kind of prefer fanta but I think it's just easier to call them orange flavour cause that's what all the drinks really are.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!