Sign in to follow this  
wayne6442

Problems with shrimp discription "SUNKIST"

wayne6442

Everyone one has heard of the descriptive word "Sunkist"used to describe various orange coloured shrimp, and is used frequently here in Australia to describe our Neocaridina Heteropoda var Orange ( cherry shrimp).

I recently saw a can of orange soft drink in a supermarket and decided to do a little research on the word "Sunkist". I have discovered that the word "Sunkist" is in fact a registered trademark word Registered by America's largest citrus fruit growers co/op called Sunkist Growers inc. In 1908 the then California Fruit Growers Exchange, changed its name to Sunkist Growers inc. The word 'Sunkist"exists as a trademark for citrus fruit, and was registered as part of the trademark for Sunkist Growers inc on the 18th October 2011. Sunkist Growers inc have licence agreements to various foreign companies in over 50 countries around the world ( eg Schweppes Australia)

Since registration in 2011 the Sunkist Growers inc are actively persuing and prosecuting, companies, organizations and individuals using the word "Sunkist" alone or in combination with other words,without their expressed permission. A number of prosecutions are in front of the courts world wide at this time.

It is unknown if anyone in the shrimping community has been prosecuted as yet but reading between the lines i feel that it will only be a matter of time before someone IS procecuted.Personally I feel that now would be a good time to stop using the word "Sunkist"in the discription of our Neo. H. var orange shrimp Before it becomes well established in this country.

What are your thoughts?

Gbang

well i do prefer calling them pumpkin shrimp :) but unfortunately it already describes another shrimp species

wayne6442

Yes I found that out also, The first shrimp that was called Sunkist was a Caridina cf Propinqua ( I think Bee Shrimp)and then later another orange Cardina cf lanceolata was given the title as well., makeing three species of shrimp in the hobby called Sunkist causes a lot of confusion overseas.

Jess

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing "Sunkist" is sort of a trademarked spelling of the phrase "sun kissed". So I assume you could still call them "sun-kissed" without getting in trouble for copyright infringement :)

wayne6442

"Sun kissed" was the original word that they used prior to 1908. They changed it to sunkist as an easier word to defend as a trademark. I should think "Sun-Kissed"would be OK to use. I didn't go that far back to see if they had it registered before, as a trademark.. I feel safe enough using "Sun-Kissed" to represent my Orange line bred cherry shrimp!

wayne6442

I would like to suggest that we in Australia Refer to the Neocaridina Hetropoda var Orange as "Sun-Kissed"therefore reducing the chance of anyone of us being sued for breach of trademark laws.

Triggs

Why not just call it an Orange Cherry ?

• Like 1

2OFUS

fanta cherry lol ??

Triggs
fanta cherry lol ??

Could call the chocolates "Coke Cherrys" and really p*** coca-cola off lol !

wayne6442

"fanta" is a registered trade name as well. I agree just "Necaridina Heteropoda var Orange" OR "Orange Cherry Shrimp" would be OK and those who want to elaborate, could use "Sun- kissed,"All the above will keep people out of trouble.

Brado

what about plain old ranga shrimp....

Triggs
what about plain old ranga shrimp....

That would just p*** Julia Gillard off -walks off whistling innocently-

tropo

+1 for ranga shrimp, Love it. There is another type which is called orange sakura shrimp?

NoGi

Personally, I prefer

var Orange

var Brown

Etc....

Less likely to get sued by anyone and consistent naming with Red and Yellow cherries.

• Like 1

Heavyd

I tend to agree with Nogi. I think the name sunkist just sounds trendier than var. Orange. I would also like to add that the sunkists I have seen vary greatly in colour. I would like to include in the description 'pale' (leaning towards yellow) and 'bright/solid/vibrant (being a more typical orange colour). The colour is so subjective anyway, that I think good photos need to accompany verbal descriptions.

fish4fish3

I'm going with Nogi on this one. As a noob and I have heard of sunkist, but probably never use the name sunkist, cause I don't like sunkist, cause sunkist isn't my flavour. I kind of prefer fanta but I think it's just easier to call them orange flavour cause that's what all the drinks really are.