led lighing

lin

hi. so i literally know nothing about lighting, i found a led lamp some specs

9w, color temperature: 3850-4150k, illumination intesnity: >1450 lux, luminous flux:500 lumens

its going to be used on a tank: 36cm,22cm,24cm growing xmas moss, Staurogyne and Hemianthus glomeratus would the lighting be sufficient enough to grow them with some diy co2?

is this lighting considered low, medium?

Hi lin,

that desk lamp is not going to be suitable unfortunately.

Firstly, the colour temp is wrong for a tank. It's too yellow and this will not be sufficient for plant growth, as well as making the fish and plant colours much too yellow tinted.

This lamp is considered very low light.

With a 36cm (foot long) tank your choices are very limited. Especially if you want to grow HG and Stauro without them going too tall. Plants grow tall and skinny when starved of light. They grow like that trying to reach the surface when there is more light. The moss will be fine however, they can do well in low light.

Rather than tell you all about what is wrong with that desk lamp, let's look for something appropriate for you.

I have scoured our sponsored sites and have found this at Age of Aquariums ...

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=7078&catID=88

It's a clip on that fits to the rim of the tank. Hopefully it suits your tank. What tank do you have? Is it a rimless/open top tank?

It's 18W, and for a foot long tank, that is medium high light supply.

It's also 50% off, and I can't find anything better in that price range.

Alternatively, Age of Aquariums also have Aquazonic clip on lights that are ok for your application, but are not as bright as the light linked above.

Edited by jayc

i see tyvm my tank is not rimeless but open top since would not be able to fit lids with filters etc,

A picture of the top of the tank might help us determine if that clip on will work for you or not.

Edited by jayc

Thanks mate.

Hopefully Lin took advantage of the light at that price.