Iriatherina Werneri (Threadfin Rainbow) Question

GotCrabs

I'm looking to purchase some Iriatherina Werneri (Threadfin Rainbow) from @Dave at AquaGreen for the new scape, question is what would be an appropriate number of them to get for a 45l long tank, I was thinking either 6 or 12, due to the Threadfin having a small mouth, Chameleon Shrimp (which I will also purchase from AquaGreen, I'm thinking 12) should be safe from being hunted shouldn't they, so really they should all get a long well and care free in a tank this size.

The tank will be quite open area, the plan is the have most vegetation to the right of the tank with the outflow pushing towards the left side so that plants flow with the current and the left side either completely empty or have very little vegetation so there is plenty of area for the Threadfins to school.

The plants I'll be using are mainly Val (2 types), Anubias, Crested Java Fern, Needle Leaf Java Fern, Trident Java Fern, Bolbitis Heudelotii and some Blyxa Japonica, amongst 2 pieces of Malaysian driftwood.

So is a tank this size and planted in the manner I have planned to be suitable for a school of 6 or 12 Threadfins? 

Cheers.

So is a tank this size and planted in the manner I have planned to be suitable for a school of 6 or 12 Threadfins? 

On the subject of suitability, are you getting a cover/lid for the Mr Aqua 12G?

Threadfin rainbowfish are known jumpers.

• Like 1

Yeah mate, been in touch with the local window maker and is going to measure up a piece of glass to cover most of the tank.

• 2 months later...

In regards to the size of school, around 10 is fine. And they shouldn't bother your shrimp too much if you keep them fed. I have observed mine get a bit curious about the shrimp, but like you said their mouths are a bit too small to take on a shrimp. I got mine from Dave at Aquagreen too and am very happy with them. All very healthy and I even got more than what I ordered! Excellent business to deal with!

• Like 1

Yeah I ended up with 14 in a 45l, ordered 10, 4 males, 10 females, great fish, all got a long well, will get another lot of Threads and Chams when I decide to get a larger tank, one day.

• Like 1

Hey crabs, if you want to keep them in top condition you will need to feed them some live foods, small mosquito lavea, newly hatched brine shrimp, micro worms, they will take some ground up flake powder but really need live foods to keep them in top condition. Beautiful fish by the way!

Hey crabs, if you want to keep them in top condition you will need to feed them some live foods, small mosquito lavea, newly hatched brine shrimp, micro worms, they will take some ground up flake powder but really need live foods to keep them in top condition. Beautiful fish by the way!

Yeah I fed them crushed flake food, juvi powders and crushed blood and black worm, don't have them no more though, don't have any shrimp or fish no more and that tank has been shut down.