• Similar Content

• Adam Bomb
      By Adam Bomb
      Hello everyone! 
      My area of Michigan (48065) seems to be a black hole for shrimp enthusiasts, and my hope was to uncover folks I can buy shrimp (and hopefully moss) from locally. Since the pandemic has paused all face-to-face meetings for local clubs until further notice, it's been rough (and I can't imagine paying online retail ridiculous prices for shipped shrimp)!
      Since we only have the "City" field (for location) on profiles, is there a better way to find local people? I'd love any help you can offer. 
    • Subtlefly
      By Subtlefly
      Hi Team,
      So here is the list of what has been purchased
      900x400x200 PPG starphire glass rimless tank (custom build) 10mm glass
      Flat one ONF+ warm white 60 cm pendant light (rated for 17 to 20 gallons - so hopefully can put it high and it will be bright enough! - the 90cm is rated for 40 to 48 gallons)
      Eheim ecco 130 filter
      Seachem Matrix (for the filter)
      DOOA Stream Pipe ARC P-2 (13mm) 
      DOOA Stream Pipe V-1 (13, H15mm) 
      ADA power sand advance 2 kg
      ADA amazonia fine granules  9L
      ADA amazonia II (with extras) 9L
      ADA cube garden mat 8mm   900x450 ( will have to trim it)
      Seachem flourishm liquid fertiliser
      I think other than some tweezers and curved scissors that is it so far..  I will start to post pics when the tank arrives!  
      Thanks and have a great day
      sub

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Okay, so the title pretty much says it all... One of my berried tts just moulted, and she left the eggs in the moult. What happened, and why? 
      I'm going to try to save the eggs with some sort of extraction, and I'll be very careful. She was pretty far along. I think I'll use the net over bubbler method. Does anyone have experience with this, and particularly the extraction? I won't do anything until I have some idea to go off. 
      Thanks in advance.
      Crabby
      Oh and the moult is under like 2 hours old. Wasn't there when I started watching a movie, was there when I checked back after.
      Going off this video: 
      Hoping the process will be similar. 

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey folks!
      So I got myself a little 5 gallon (20L) recently (it was free!) to use for quarantine. I’m going to use it to qt some cory cats and maybe some tetras or gouramis for my community tank. The thing is, I’ve got it set up really nicely in my room and I want to have it actually stocked. I definitely don’t want a betta, but I found some super cute guppies on gumtree (Wild Thai Orchid) that I can never find locally. How many guppies do u think I could get in the tank?? The seller only has 4 pairs, so is selling in pairs but not trios, so that could have an affect on the amount. I also plan on adding shrimp, either of a neo or caridina variety, or native - like dae or chameleons. 
      So my questions are: how many guppies could go in the tank (assuming they breed and I keep the babies in with them for about a month each time), could I fit in anything else (with a pair or 4), like a couple of chilli rasboras or rocket killies, and will the shrimps be enough for a cleanup crew, or should I add an Otto or something?
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Myola
      Hi Jayc, I use Sera liquid test kits for most parameters except ammonia. For ammonia I use the traditional API liquid kit just because I haven't bought a Sera one yet.    Yes, I think so. That one was a wine red so it was quite dark. The photo was taken about 30 mins after it died and I know it seems blotchy but I think that might be the flash on the camera as to the naked eye the colour seemed solid. All the tanks were set up around the same time. The tang tank is now about 15 months old, the CRS about 13 months and the blue bolt etc about 11 months old. The substrate is all out of the same bag. They were all started with SeaChem Stability, then cycled for a couple of weeks until water tests revealed that they were cycled and ready to go.  
    • Myola
      Hi Simon, Thanks for your reply. I really hope you guys can help me, and more importantly, my shrimpies. Yes, they are in the same room right next to each other. It's my shrimp room - neos on one side, caridinas on the other. I live in a really hot place so run a/c most of the year. Here's a picture of my 3 caridina tanks having a water change. The CRS tank is closest to the camera. Yes, in the 'problem' tank there were, until last Tuesday, 2 pieces of charcoal bamboo. I wondered if they might have been causing the problem so I've taken them out now. The only other difference is that that tank has a sponge filter and a pat mini as I didn't think there was enough circulation and that may have been causing the problems. It's been running for about 6 weeks and was new when it went in. I've got it on a very low setting though as they can be a bit rough especially on shrimplets. The vegetables are always certified organic and I grow my own IAL (I live in the tropics) and mulberry. Cholla and alder cones are purchased but they go into all the tanks (including my neos which are breeding like mad). Do you think it might have been the charcoal bamboo? Cheers 
    • jayc
      How are you measuring pH that low? PH meter or liquid test kit? And is that colour normal on the shrimp pictured above? You said, this problem tank is about a year old. How old are your other tanks?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry to hear you are having a problem with one tank. Regarding the breeding stopping, that may be as it is winter with the taiwan bee shrimp where you are so I wouldn't worry about that unduly unless it carries on after winter? It onl seems to happen with Taiwan bees and I had this happen and have seen you tube videos and heard it happens with others (not everyone though oddly). The main problem tank, I can't see anything that looks a problem at first glance and as you are running other tanks the same way it must be something specific to the tank. Are all the tanks kept together in the same area? Have you put anything wood/new etc new in the tank that may have been contaminated with pesticides that is slowly poisoning the tank etc? Anything you can list as tank specific may help give us a clue. Are the vegetables you feed ORGANIC (though if you use the same for all the tanks it is unlikely to be that)? The simptoms do sound as though it may be some kind of toxic poisoning! The picture is a lovely shrimp and I can't see anything obviously wrong with it. I had a similar experience with my last shrimp tank so I know how frustrating it can be to pin point the problem! Simon
    • Myola
      For about 2 months now I've been losing one or two of my CRS every day. Tank has been running for about a year and initially everything was normal and they were breeding well. Then I started noticing the odd unexplained death, then it became more frequent, now it's every day. Parameters are: pH 5.5, GH 4, KH 0-1, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, TDS 120 Temp 22C. What's left of the colony are fed 2 - 3 times a week on a variety of quality foods including blanched zucchini, blanched mulberry leaves, HWA bacterium, frozen bloodworm and a few foods I've bought from breeders who make their own. They only get a tiny amount and it's usually gone within a couple of hours. Tank maintenance includes once weekly 10% water changes and the water I use is rainwater that I run through the RO and remineralised with GH+ liquid. I have two other caridina tanks - one with tang tigers who are breeding like mad. I never have deaths in that tank and it's got almost the same parameters just the GH is 5 instead of 4. The other tank is for blue bolts, mosuras, pandas and shadow pandas. I don't lose any shrimp in that tank either, BUT they aren't breeding. I think I'll have to start another thread for that issue though. I'm careful to clean any equipment used in one tank before I use it in another so that I'm not cross-contaminating. The shrimp seem perfectly normal until they fall over and die. They did stop breeding a couple of months ago so my colony is getting smaller by the day. The tank has the usual shrimpy stuff - IAL, alder cones, cholla wood. Substrate is Amazonia II. Below is a photo of one of today's victims. I have a video of it in the throes of dying too, but can't seem to upload it. It just shows the shrimp on its back and its little legs kind of spasming. Is anyone able give me any idea what my shrimp are succumbing to? Muscular necrosis perhaps? Thanks in advance.