ostracod plague

revolutionhope

hey SKFers ive just discovered upon returning from a week or so away that god has unleashed an almighty plague of ostracods on one of my tamks. the glass is covered in thousands of them and they're wriggling all around the tank. fun to watch! but anyway im just wondering does anyone think i should be concerned ? im pretty sure i have enough biofilm to go around due to the natural light beaming thru the north facing window the tanks are right next to - so im not too worried about them outcompeting the shrimps .. or should i be ? they look a bit unsightly in a way though for now i think i like them. this tank isn't meant to be pretty anyway so that's no concern :-) just wna know if/how it might affect shrimplet survival rates. it is a cherry tank. love n peace will

Hello Will,

I wouldn't worry too much. I like when I see speed shrimp as I take it as a good sign but I never seen thousands of them before so not sure what to make of it.

So is your little one back home safe and sound?

hey mate cheers, we're all back and my daughter is nearly 100% now :-) thanks for the reassurance - i maybe exaggerating the numbers i guess its probably a matter of hundreds only or at worst only a few thousand probably but its very hard to guess. my tank is a 50litre 2foot tank and i can only see the front few centimetres of my tank where i feed and inspect the shrimps and ive let the rest fill up with moss to encourage max food production. im not too worried i dont suppose i can do much about it so for now I'll just enjoy watching the wriggle festival while waiting for cherries to come and feed :-)