Sign in to follow this  
pixie3004

Weird thing

pixie3004

I found this in my shrimp tank. Can someone please let me know what on earth it is 9ed261878e47e20467d856a7f823d513.jpg I started my tank two months ago and I noticed something was eating my plants and then I found that in the tank

jayc

I can't quite make it out.

But have a look at this thread http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/1384-aquariumtank-creatures-101/

to see if you can ID it.

Whatever it is, it's wouldn't have been good for the shrimp. Goo that you got it out.

But keep a look out for more.

Edited by jayc

GotCrabs

@Callan might be able to help out with this, but I'd say it's a nasty and keep an eye out for more, if there is one, fair chance there could be a couple more.

Looks like a small moth or something still in cocoon stage.

pixie3004

Thanks just neva heard of a month or butterfly hatching in water.... Strange

pixie3004

Here is another pic from side

6431dd045caa42b21b6054de02d6353e.jpg

GotCrabs

Could even be a Dragonfly larvae as well.

Callan

It could be three things that I can think of.

Dragonfly Nymph Deadly to shrimp 

Caddisfly Larvae mainly feeds on plants but can also kill shrimp.....Look for silk threads on leaf on underside

Midge Mainly a leaf eater

I cant say for sure but I have checked my freshwater insect reference and I think Caddisfly larvae personally because in second photo it looks like a silk type cacoon

I would be checking because if there is one there could be more. Have you added new plants a cpouple of months ago. it is possible it came in on the plants as eggs. You may need to remove plants and treat. I would also be having a good look on substrate rocks etc for more. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

pixie3004

There is definitely silk threads

• Like 1

pixie3004

I am sure there are more. I have 4 pregnant females at the moment and don't wanna loose any babies. Is the only way to remove is by hand cause obviously you cant use killers?... Right? U have been great help thanks alot

GotCrabs

Yeah I'd be removing my hand just to be safe and clear anything out that just doesn't look right.

pixie3004

How do you treat the plants?

GotCrabs

I think most people treat in diluted hydrogen peroxide, just dip them in a mix for a few seconds and then rinse under water before going back in the tank.

I've never had dramas insects/pests in the tank so other members might be able to tell you the treatment for sure.

pixie3004

Thanks will do. I Googled all that was mentioned and it doesn't really look the same, but I will definitely remove

• Like 1

pixie3004

Wish I didn't have either :-)

• Like 1

jayc

H2O will kill the plant, if you dip it the plant in long enough to kill insect eggs or larvae.

Methylene Blue is more effective. 

GotCrabs

Yeah pays to be safe, anything that doesn't look right, remove it for sure.

Can be a worry.

Callan

Caddisfly larvae has two different stages of larvae. The fact that there is a silk like thread cocoon I would say that it is definately it. I would be confident that it came in on the plant in egg stage and that is why it has taken so long to show up .

You can use what GC has mentioned or you can use condy's crystal I had to buy mine of ebay. It's hard to get know.

Edited by Callan
  • Like 1

pixie3004

Thanks will try. Do you add in tank or how doe you use?

jayc

You soak the plants in it BEFORE introducing the plant to the tank.

That is, it's an external treatment. Do not add it to your tank.

Edited by jayc

pixie3004

Thank you

Callan

And make sure that you rinse the plants before re-introducing to tank. Hydrogen peroxide can be used to direct dose black beard algae but in your case follow JayC,s directions and rinse. Good luck I would also do a check of substrate surface and on driftwood or rocks if applicable just to make sure you have no more hiding.

fishmosy

H2O will kill the plant, if you dip it the plant in long enough to kill insect eggs or larvae.

I thought H2O was good for plants? :5565bf0371061_D:

Bloody di-hydrogen oxide. Terrible stuff. One of the most effective solvents in the world.......

.....  Maybe you mean H2O2 ? :facepalm:

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 1

GotCrabs

Jesus, makes me sound bad saying dip it in hydrogen peroxide, I just mean a quick dip, and then rinse under water....

pixie3004

Lol ? no fighting

kizshrimp

Potassium Permanganate is the normal treatment for plants, a weak peroxide dip will probably work fine too.