Pictures of my rifle shrimp

Callan

Thought I would share a few pics of the wonderful rifle shrimp that I received from Fishmosy.

ebay_photos_002.thumb.JPG.26f16af4e84e37

This is two of the males. You can see that distinctive stripe down their body. In the background basically at the bottom of the root section of the fern is a fresh moult from one of the rifles. The more I have to do with these shrimp the more I become fascinated with them. I think they are right up there as one of my favourite shrimp.

ebay_photos_003.thumb.JPG.78484a0511ca39

This is one of the smaller male rifles.

ebay_photos_004.thumb.JPG.c1590f985f5d0c

ebay_photos_005.thumb.JPG.cf6b359a3740c4

This one is more of a light bluish color and you can see how easily it would blend into its environment. Even though it's obscured there is an adult size rilli directly behind it. The look massive compared to the other shrimp in with them.

ebay_photos_006.thumb.JPG.04d513364f49ef

I think the best picture I have ever taken of a shrimp. Couldn't do it again if I tried. I was actually able to put a tape measure up to measure the size of the rock and the rifle. The rock is approx 90mm and the Rifle is a bit over 5cm.There is a bigger one but it wouldn't co-operate to get a pic.  I also noticed the differences in color of the rifle shrimp. Considering their size it is amazing how at times they are very hard to see. They blend into their enviroment very well

ebay_photos_007.thumb.JPG.544e8c95de0554

I don't know why there are such differences in color because I believe they all came from the same area. Perhaps Fishmosy or Bob can shed some light on the reason for this. They vary from a light blue to an aqua blue, green, brown and a light orange.

• Like 3

Their colour varies with mood and I think perhaps dominance. Certainly if they are stressed they are more likely to be red or blue, whereas alot of the time their normal colouration is brown, green, or black. But once again I've seen big blue ones in the wild, some with an orange stripe down the back. Pretty sure I posted pics here somewhere. 

Glad you like the riffles. I think they are highly under-rated. 

Thanks for that Fishmosy they probably were stressed by the idiot with the big magnifying glass staring at them....LOL

Yeah there is something about them that makes you want to sit and just watch them. I couldn't believe the size of the molted shell. The other shrimp will feed on it for a week. Thanks again mate for such wonderful shrimp. I have had to block all the gaps in the tank because I found one dead on the floor. I forgot how good they can climb.

That they can. They are kind of like typus, if you can keep them in the tank for the first week or two, then they tend to stay there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Riffles are an amazing shrimp, I love mine even if I rarely get to see them (just makes it all the more special when I do LOL). Mine have some prefered hiding and feeding spots mostly in a java fern tree that sits directly infront of the filter return. They also seem to enjoy the fine powder fry food, I guess because its small and floats around for ages allowing them to wiffle their baskets and catch the particles.

One of my big girls

P1090122_zpsrukusisi.jpg

and a male

P1090120_zpsly0q8wwk.jpg

and same first female but with an adult cory

P1090108_zpsnq73p0aa.jpg

• Like 1