Sign in to follow this  
ura

Anyone keeping Macrobrachium spp.?

ura

Anyone into keeping the freshwater prawns such as Macrobrachium or marine ones?

kizshrimp

Have kept M. australiense before but not right now - I've been inspired to get some again since seeing a blue one. The cannibalism after moulting is annoying though... I'm more interested in getting into crays, to be honest. 

The marines are something I might get interested in if I can justify more space and time on tanks one day. 

Grubs

Same here. Had a couple of M.australiense in a tank on my desk...lots of personality and dynamite snail killers..but after numerous games of "pull my arms off" they each did a Thelma and Louise off the edge of the desk.

100_3948.jpg

fishmosy

I've had macros on a couple of occasions in the past. Would love to keep a massive rosenbergii but cant really justify allocating that much space to one species when I can have many species of Caridina instead. 

kizshrimp

Haha, yes the rosenbergii are nice though. The smaller one that Dave sells is a really beautiful little Macro and well worth trying for anyone interested.

waffle

*uses scroll of raise thread*

Do macros like to destroy plants? Also, do they adapt their size to the available tank space or just keep growing continually? I'm guessing the answers to these depend a bit on the particular species.

Edited by waffle

fishmosy

Macros tend to leave plants alone.

It is a myth that any organism will only grow to the size of its aquaria. They will grow to reach their normal adult size UNLESS the conditions are so bad that the organism is stunted - IMO a cruel result of neglect on the part of the aquarist. This is completely different to saying that the organism stops growing to suit its aquaria. 

• Like 1

waffle

Ah, so with one of the bigger macros you'd need a fairly large setup! 

• Like 1

fishmosy

Yes, quite a large set-up indeed. 

waffle

They would go pretty well in large ponds then I'm guessing? I've heard some can be pretty good at learning who feeds them and coming up to the surface trying to eat fingers, and it would be super cool to train a massive one to come out of the depths for food.

fishmosy

Yes much the same as crayfish or yabbies. 

Paul Minett

macros are an awesome shrimp to keep love mine. have 6 adult australienese with enough space and perches hiding spots they get along ok but only have 1 male or their is usually trouble, their is a heap of bubs in the tank at the moment from them I also have some  juvie jardini

FB_IMG_1455585651503.jpg

FB_IMG_1455585697388.jpg

• Like 1

mellonpod

I've currently got 6 in my planted tank with glass shrimp
Do the long arm berry the same as yabbies and glass shrimp

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

fishmosy
2 hours ago, mellonpod said:

Do the long arm berry the same as yabbies and glass shrimp

Yes, the eggs are carried under the tail by the females

Baccus

I have kept locally caught macrobachiums briefly, but learnt the hard way that they can NOT be trusted with fish, I have watched them literally snag a fish that was innocently swimming by minding its own business and then proceed to eat the fish. They do however have a lot of character and seem to be a thinking shrimp, rather than shrimp like cherry shrimp which seem to be more slow on the uptake and everything comes as a surprise to them.

A macro that I had from Cairns (female as she often berried with no male present) is/ was fish safe I never saw her bother a single fish but she had particularly small nippers on very long arms. She would often come out of her hiding spot and come to observe me observing her or just wave her arms at me. I always liked watching how dextrous she was feeling into tiny cracks and crevices always on the hunt for food. She was also very partial to crushed snails, which I would drop in the tank for the loaches and she had not fear of joining the scrum of fish that would gather for the snail feast.

Because of the macrobachiums fish hunting tendencies when I go out shrimp chasing I tend to put any/ all the macros back rather than bring them home. Also many times (particularly in summer) I find macros with white body disease, which will also sometimes be present in the smaller local glass (?) shrimp. When ever I come across that illness I usually dump the whole lot of shrimp caught from that section of creek back where I got them rather than risk taking a single one home.

If I do still have some macrobachiums then they are in my pond living the high life with endlers, gudgeons and at least 4 species of snail.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp.
      https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp
      Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable! 
      Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁
      (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page)
      post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.
      The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.
      For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.
      But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.
      Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Steensj2004
      Um, because I’m all over the place I thought it pertinent to mention I’ve slowly lowered my GH to 5-6 over the last week and a half, or so. Slowly, but these shell issues existed long before adjusting the water parameters. I suppose it’s possible this could have finished off the injured shrimp, however, the parameters are, from what I can gather, a little more superior at this time. The GH was lowered by monitoring my TDS drop closely. I dropped the TDS by around 2 points daily. At this point, I’m sitting at:   PH: 6.2 GH:5-6( during testing, the color teeters between 5-6 drops for a change) KH:0 TDS:140 Temp: 72f   So, now that I’ve completely sworn off of fertilizers, I haven’t seen any increase or decrease in TDS / GH without my own manipulation. Second and third generation of shrimplettes are doing well, and aren’t showing any signs of discoloration. Another mama likely soon to drop as her eggs have easily visible eyes.   
    • Steensj2004
      I apologize for being unclear. I had ordered one before asking more specific questions. So I simply located a different one and order that( the one you green lighted), while also canceling the less desirable one. Also, the one you told me to buy, was considerably cheaper, while retaining the same no additive ingredient list.   No signs that the oregano leaves were touched this AM, but, there were multiple shrimp surrounding them, while several were perched on them. I’m not sure how much they need to ingest to really help, but hopefully the sampled a little bit overnight. Now, my problem is locating a food that they will attack, to place into the tank. Would it be possible to mix some BacterAE/ Shrimp Fit powder into oregano oil water? They seem to feed on that when it’s added to the tank.... otherwise, I’ll use some rephasy, newt made, with oregano oil water added.... or something similar. 
    • Steensj2004
      In relation to the PH, what is too low? Because several people in other groups act shocked at my PH at 6.1-6.2. The substrate is ADA and has always buffered to that range. Even the Fluval Stratum I used in the smaller 5 gallon buffered similarly.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You are indeed correct in that I didn't see a cycle as such, I only had nitrates of 25 to start (cooked prawn) and that dropped but also as you say the PH was very low, below 6 so a proper cycle may not have happened - well spotted, I had forgotten about that. I set the tank up in June so if it isn't cycled by now though I guess it never will be? Incidentally I have only got the Ph up to 6 (recently) by putting a bit of the old rock back temporarily, and possibly that caused the tank to cycle or something??? I have thus far got 4L of RO water and hope to get more done so I can do a approx 50% water change at the weekend. You make a lot of valid points and thanks for giving me more to go on, maybe the plants aren't as green in this tank because of the different parameters and the substrate isn't as bad as it appears? The other tanks have Ph 7.5 so quite different! I like your point one and that seems to be how most people think in the modern world, but I am 100% sure it is my fault one way or other, I am old school! I am however physically restricted so it isn't anything I can do anything about! Got friends coming on sunday so if I get the water ready they can lug the buckets of water around................. I will get some rubber gloves anyway as that means I can rule that out, and give me peace of mind for the future that I won't accidentally contaminate the water by mistake? I have been using a lot of cleaning products (scrubbing floors) around xmas which makes me think I may have contaminated the tank without realising??? Simon
    • beanbag
      Just to update that I went back to my normal, very low dose of fertilizer, but the Ludwigia are still dying, from the bottom up.  The tips are green and growing, but the bottom parts are rotting away.  So far, I can only think of two possible reasons: 1) I have been feeding my shrimp less, so maybe they aren't making enough ammonia and nitrates for the plants 2) About 2 months ago, I changed the lighting so that it was a complete blackout at night and only 7 hours of medium light a day.  This did a great job of getting rid of algae that was growing on the plants, but maybe now I need more light again?