Caridina confusa 'Short Creek'

fishmosy

They really are nice shrimp mate, I can't wait to get some. Great shots too. 

Are they still as competitive for food as when you first got them? 

• Like 1

Yes they still squabble a bit amongst themselves when it comes to feeding time. Nothing worse than CRS or cherries can do if they are hungry, but wouldn't be ideal for smaller shrimp. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The colour is looking good Ben, now to line breed them.  I ID has been slowed Satish went OS for a while.

What water type did you end up keeping them in??

Bob

I've been slowly bringing the TDS up from around 40 up to around 90 ppm so that i can keep them in my local tap water. So far so good. I've just set up a three foot tank for them and the nerites, and the big Stenomelania cf. aspirans (big cone snails) will go in there as well. The water is currently a bit dirty so I will post some shots when it clears. 

Pretty sure I spotted a berried female confusa yesterday but didn't have time to snap a pic as I'm away from home this weekend. I had been hoping they would berry up soon as I've been watching several females growing large saddles. I'll try to grab pics when I get home. 

• Like 1

Started setting up a new tank for these guys.

hoping to keep them in my local tap water pH 7.0, TDS 90 so I've just filled the tank with filtered tap water (filtered through carbon filters to remove any chlorine ect).

Plan on adding some plants to the tank, but haven't decided which ones other than mini bolbitis. Will also add my big cone snails (Stenomelania cf. aspirans). Might add my nerites too but haven't quite made up my mind. 

Tank setup 

image.thumb.jpg.b08d9b6db161bbe780384003

image.thumb.jpg.4ecbf1686313a8c1322b374c

Substrate is an inert gravel sand mix. 

image.thumb.jpg.0c43de40c05ae9830e71a085

image.thumb.jpg.a3f1ad3ec3e96a580702f84b

image.jpg

image.jpg

Added two variants of mini bolbitis 

Edited by fishmosy

Looken good mate they will like that one, 2 bolbitis? one from here and the other??,

They will be AOK in your tap water, a mate in Brisvagas is keeping them and breeding them in Brisbane water and not changing it

When the weather warms up here I will go and get some of the green ones and send some to you and Kiz to play with

Bob

PS   looks like short creeks bio but where is the water fall LOL

• Like 1

Both are from Cairns, specifically Harvey Creek. One variant has much bigger and differently shaped leaves. 

The main rocks are kinda like Short Creek, but the substrate is not. 

Filled the tank so the water is a bit cloudy. Running a Fluval 306 canister on the tank. Waiting for the water to clear.

image.thumb.jpg.6d679cd23b76a1d2b58b2637

image.thumb.jpg.7a2dbf35d5a9cad67a146241

the two mini bolbitis variants

image.thumb.jpg.140cbd4007613cfc8f24ede9

image.thumb.jpg.5b2a539f5e71f8101bb67896

• Like 3

hey ben

i saw the previous shots of confusa you posted had a greenish/yellowish tinge but the berried one you posted looks like it may have a reddish tinge? does it change colour? or are they different phenotypes?

I think that one looks slightly different in colour because I had to hold the camera at a weird angle to get the shot. Its more the yellowish colour of the first photos in real life.

• Like 1

Even more sweet is the fact that I have two females berried.

I'm too scared to move them into their new four foot tank in case they drop their eggs. I've moved some nerites into the tank though.

The water in their tank hasn't cleared fully yet. Will need to do a large water change. I've added a Madagascar lace plant (and crypts) to the tank but I'm not sure whether I will leave it there or transfer to another tank at some stage. I've also added 10 nerites -  Neritina pulligera

P1060657.thumb.JPG.7004101377cec4465b886

P1060659.thumb.JPG.6c561522948abe8afc9fd

P1060660.thumb.JPG.37e43080daab4a650e4d2

I added the confusa to their new 4ft home, couldn't wait! Both females were still berried but I haven't seen them since they went into the tank. P1060722.thumb.JPG.f9d8a1b58a75f5f559aaeP1060723.thumb.JPG.972168ed01ad9e326d21a

It looks like one female dropped her eggs, whilst the other held. Still waiting on a hatch. The shrimp seem really happy in their new tank.

P1060994.thumb.JPG.d5e6696de645ab6ce88e9P1070001.thumb.JPG.b8f4d373ae0d148dca5f8P1070008.thumb.JPG.1144d4353207162239d77P1070012.thumb.JPG.53625a467ff7229daf75a

• Like 2

Looking good.  I really like the yellow hue against the blue stone..... almost like you planned it that way.  A good looking native shrimp IMO... not flashy... but with a little class.

Looking good.  I really like the yellow hue against the blue stone..... almost like you planned it that way.  A good looking native shrimp IMO... not flashy... but with a little class.

I'd like to take credit, but alas it was all coincidence. Thanks anyway.