SaltyShrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+

Dean

I have now been using this product for about 3 months and must say i am very impressed with it.

post-29-139909845669_thumb.jpg

Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+

Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ has especially been developed for the keeping and breeding of bee shrimp, bumblebee shrimp and tiger shrimp in an aquarium, to mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. It raises the total hardness (°dH) without significantly influencing the carbonate hardness (KH). This is especially important for shrimp originating from soft water habitats (ratio of KH/°dH: 0.06/1.0).

Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ contains all the important minerals and trace elements your shrimp need for their well-being, an intensive colouration, successful breeding and healthy growth. It also furthers plant growth and the microbial regeneration of biological filter substrates. The danger of noxious bacteria is reduced, as these salts especially further the growth of antagonistic (beneficial) micro flora.

Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ does not influence the pH directly.

For keeping and breeding bee shrimp, aim for a pH of under 7. As soon as biological biodegradation processes start in your tank this may happen all by itself. However, if the pH remains higher, the low carbonate hardness (KH) enables you to influence the pH very easily, e.g. by the use of black alder cones or peat (both containing fulvic acids), or with pH-reducing additives.

Instructions of use

Mix with water outside of the aquarium. Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ dissolves almost completely within seconds, and the water is ready for use at once. Please make sure that any undissolved particles go into your tank, too. Close the container tightly after use.

Dosage

Use Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ to re-mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. to reach a total hardness of about 6 °dH and/or a conductance of about 200 +/- 50 µS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 3 g) to 20 litres of water is sufficient. Measuring spoon enclosed.

Available packaging sizes (screw socket)

[TABLE]

90 g

(sufficient for approx.

600 l of aquarium water)

230 g

(sufficient for approx.

1530 l of aquarium water)

1000 g

(sufficient for approx.

6660 l of aquarium water)

[/TABLE]

post-29-139909856542_thumb.jpg

since i started using this mineral additive for my shrimp i have noticed a big improvement in the color and breeding of the shrimp.

the survival rates of the juvenile shrimp have increased greatly and everything seems to be more active and happy.

what i like most and think is a very important thing is that this mineral also contains much needed calcium.

i mix a 1000ltr water tank that i store my RO water in with the minerals and add a airstone to keep the water air rated and only do top ups in all my tanks. i never do water changes as i have huge sumps 2100x400x350 and a lot of nitrate reducing plants so my water is always clean.

i top up about 40 ltrs a week per system with is lost from evaporation.

http://youtu.be/BzWypvX8im8

recieved my jar of this yesterday will take me a while to go through 1500l of top up water lol will be good

Got the saltyshrimp minerals too!

I've started following the same with top ups only. My set up is on a nano scale;

- 5 litre mixed RO with air stone

- Leave 1 indian almond leave for 1 day which lowers ph to 5.5~

The biggest challenge for me is getting the right balance of TDS vs GH.

For filter cleaning will I need to use tank water or can I simply use aged dechlorinated water?

great to see you have both got the mineral,

@sprae, what sort of filter are you talking about, sponge, canister etc?

i never clean my canister in over 1 year and sponge i only clean when stop working.

@sprae' date=' what sort of filter are you talking about, sponge, canister etc?

i never clean my canister in over 1 year and sponge i only clean when stop working.[/quote']

HOB and cannister. I'm cleaning them once every 4-6 weeks. Is that to excessive?

why are you cleaning them so much? the canister i would not touch for at least 10-12 months and hob? maybe just gice the sponge a wash every 6 months.

the tank is tiny and you dont have that many shrimp to need cleaning that much. think of all the beneficial bacteria you are loosing.

stability is the key :)

Just following the manual :P but mainly to make sure they are well maintained. So should I just wait till they start to slow down in flow? I'm just cleaning one filter at a time, so there's always good level of bacteria around.

Wait till I setup my new eheim 2213, to replace the HOB and add chiller ;)

• 1 month later...

This is just a quick how to guide for using the SaltyShrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ as many people have been asking me for this.

There are 2 method for adding the SaltyShrimp Bee shrimp mineral GH+ to an existing tank setup.

remember the mineral must be used with RO water or rain water only...

#1. System setup, 1 tank at a time..

isolate one tank on the rack.

take all the shrimp out of one tank and put them into another.

empty the water form this tank and replace with RO water and mineral

test with EC pen to make sure you have reading of 200.

i use this pen

Hanna 98303 - Low range EC meter

http://hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?...ode=HI%2098303

wait for 1 day and then add the shrimp back to tank with new water exactly like you are adding new shrimp to a tank, acclimatize them with drip feed method.

then continue doing this until the rack has all tanks changed over to new water.

#2. individual tanks.

mix your RO water with mineral. then use this water for your water change or top ups using a medium speed drip method. do this every time you do a water change or top up until you have changed the complete volume of water in the tank/system. but remember that shrimp dont like changes in parameters closer than 3-4 weeks apart. this method is slow but works.

once you have done this you will see a big change in how happy your shrimp are and breeding rates increased. remember this is a guide only and paying attention to your shrimp and water conditions is still required.

• 7 months later...
This is just a quick how to guide for using the SaltyShrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ as many people have been asking me for this.

There are 2 method for adding the SaltyShrimp Bee shrimp mineral GH+ to an existing tank setup.

remember the mineral must be used with RO water or rain water only...

#1. System setup' date= 1 tank at a time..

isolate one tank on the rack.

take all the shrimp out of one tank and put them into another.

empty the water form this tank and replace with RO water and mineral

test with EC pen to make sure you have reading of 200.

i use this pen

Hanna 98303 - Low range EC meter

http://hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?...ode=HI%2098303

wait for 1 day and then add the shrimp back to tank with new water exactly like you are adding new shrimp to a tank, acclimatize them with drip feed method.

then continue doing this until the rack has all tanks changed over to new water.

#2. individual tanks.

mix your RO water with mineral. then use this water for your water change or top ups using a medium speed drip method. do this every time you do a water change or top up until you have changed the complete volume of water in the tank/system. but remember that shrimp dont like changes in parameters closer than 3-4 weeks apart. this method is slow but works.

once you have done this you will see a big change in how happy your shrimp are and breeding rates increased. remember this is a guide only and paying attention to your shrimp and water conditions is still required.

how much did that pen cost you do you recall, i just sent them an email for a quote but dont know how long it will take to get a response.

In aus they sell 97$ but you can buy from the USA and have it shipped cheaper than that. Just google

Hanna HI98303 and you will find it

cheers :), i just saw some on ebay but not sure if it would be a legit one though....

If you follow the links through the website, one of the sites it takes you to is amazon. They were $57 on there

Sorry for my stupid question but what's the important wp's for keeping cherries and bees/crystals?

I always thought it was PH that salty shrimp was changing. :(

I noticed that your wp's were different when keeping cherries compared to Bees/crystals. Do you ever keep them together ?

I do, basically cherries are more tolerant of WP so you keep the water right for CRS/CBS & the cherries can handle it :encouragement:

Use the Bee Shrimp Minerals if you want to have them together, that's what I do :encouragement:

Oh & if you get a good substrate it will buff the ph to the right level :encouragement:

CRS 5-6.5 and cherries 7+, but as squiggle said have it right CRS and cherries will adapt.

I keep cherries and CRS in same tank my wp 6.4

What's the right level for both ? :)

What are you running at ?

I have my TDS set around 180ppm & the are both breeding :encouragement:

i mix a 1000ltr water tank that i store my RO water in with the minerals and add a airstone to keep the water air rated and only do top ups in all my tanks. i never do water changes as i have huge sumps 2100x400x350 and a lot of nitrate reducing plants so my water is always clean.

i top up about 40 ltrs a week per system with is lost from evaporation.

Dean, if you only replace water that is lost through evaporation and you don't do any water changes... wouldn't it be better to replace the lost volume with demineralised water?

As the minerals remain when water evaporates you would slowly increase the GH over time by adding water + minerals again.

Use the Bee Shrimp Minerals if you want to have them together' date=' that's what I do :encouragement:

Oh & if you get a good substrate it will buff the ph to the right level :encouragement:[/quote']

Does that mean I could keep bee shrimp in my tank with the cherries? Oh goody! I want!

Yes, but you have to slowly change the tank for CRS over a few weeks so it's not too much impact on the cherries & yeah you are right about the minerals staying behind during evaporation, I only top up evaporated water with RO water :encouragement:

I just got some shrimp minerals but don't have an EC pen yet. What's the best way to dose? TDS, API GH kit or just by measuring spoon into the right amount of water?