SKF Going public

skfadmin

SKF Going public  

1. 1.

• Yes.I am Happy for the public to view my threads
    • No. I like the privacy of this forum

Hello Members :victorious:

We would like everyone to give your opinion about whether we should open up the forum to the public???

please vote yes or no.....

If we decide to go public, it means we will open up the forum so it can be "viewed only" by the public.

the classifieds and library will still remain closed for viewing unless you are a premium member logged in of course.

to post threads, comment, reply etc will still require you to be logged in.

new members will still need to post a hello thread before being able to post in any other area....

all comments and ideas are welcome so please let us know how you want this forum to run???

We want to create a forum for all to enjoy and majority rules :)

We would like every one to either vote of express there thoughts on this decision as it will affect all members :confused:

My argument is that if you can access the info you require without registering on the forum then you wouldn't have a reason to contribute.

Maybe the forum needs to make the public aware that there is great info here that can be accessed, e.g. the shrimp profiles in the library, particularly for native species of shrimp which there often isn't alot of info on, or it is hard to find. Similarly, now that the other forum has capped sales of exotic shrimp at $50 it should drive the search for the more exclusive strains of shrimp to other forums i.e. here.

I think registration (and contribution to the forum, financial and/or posts) is a easy trade to get access to this info.

I tend to agree with fishmosy. Going public will allow everyone to view without registering, it will just be a source of information like most other forums rather than the community we have at the moment.

Its only a registration, its not like they have to pay to access the forum or donate their first born. The payment is to access to the classifieds and is highly recommended and well worth the money in my opinion.

I would rather the forum have less members but the majority contribute rather than an open forum with 1000's of views and only a very small % contributing like one of the international forums.

Just my 2 cents.

I have to agree with fishmosy and trav80,Also this forum is all about OUR community of shrimp lovers, and it gives everyone a sense of somewhere safe to belong to.The info that some of our experts have contributed to the forum are well worth membership to access. The forum being private makes it easier to handle and prospective members to be vetted ( who knows who's out there intent on causing shrimpers trouble) especially now when the list of species in Australia is growing.

I'm happy either way really. Opening up may bring more members but also more "noise". My question is this; will opening up SKF improve this hobby? I would think yes.

I am sitting on the fence, once forums get big there is no end of Krap and fighting, but beginners need some place to get GOOD info.

Restricting the for sale section seams to keep the unwanted loud mouth element down.

The library should have stricter access, but number of post restrictions in my opinion are not the way to do it?

I am about to contribute articles on Native shrimp in the hope of educating people on our many gems, that are unseen and unknown, so I would like people to have excess to that?

So see I am on the fence and yes I can be a loud mouth to, but only on subjects I can back my self on.

Bob the 50 50 old fart, so I will say NO, contribute and you have excess, either by monetary means or articles?

If we keep it non-public, we should still try and achieve a trickle of new blood into the forums. This will ensure that the culture here stays healthy.

If you want more members, opening it up for public to view will create more traffic.

What I mean by this is, if somebody searches something from a search engine like "water parameters for shrimp" for example, if there is a thread with this in, it should appear in their search results.

Not everybody would know there are forums for shrimp keeping, but if they search for things like this, then they will realise these things are out there and hopefully join up.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Rob

I would say i'm also on the fence. i understand the need for more members/visitors etc, as the forum needs to be viable for sponsors etc. but the types of characters that pop up often on other forums with no understanding of forum etiquette's etc just drives me nuts. over on AL i noticed 1 new member being banned within days as they had no respect either for livestock or other members. the vetting process means these types stay off our awesome resource. but i do agree that search engine's should be able to deliver traffic here and then people would have to sign up. i use a VW forum from the UK and you can see 5 threads without registering then after that your IP is blocked unless you sign up. pretty easy and once you see what a good resource it is.... well you sign on the line!

but i did vote YES

I voted YES, but a conditional yes. I appreciate the need for the forum to have a steady influx of new members to keep it alive and interesting. Some days I wish there were more thread updates when I'm bored senseless at work, but, I also don't want it to turn into a place where people come to use and abuse. I like the feeling that the forum is personal and people are happy to share advice and occassionally freebies to help others in the hobby out.

Perhaps, a one month trial of opening the floodgates with another poll at the end by members with more than say 40 or 50 posts to see if they like the direction change.

+1 heavyd

i have been into shrimp for awhile and never even realized until SKF existed until

it was mentioned in an old thread on AL! So ya open it up for a month see how

it goes. Maybe locking up private messaging to stop poaching! But ya get people excited about shrimp again.

I reckon the best part of SFK so far is that we all mostly get along reasonably well in here and the focus can deft be felt that it is a sharing and learning forum...IMO making it COMPLEATLY open would open the doors to some of those people we have all in countered on other forums that love to just abuse and create confusion. My suggestion is a very very strict 3 strike policy where if someone acts like a duche they will have a strike against them and after 3 strikes they get banned.

I will vote Yes but with reservations.... Honestly I love it the way it is, this is my chill out forum but I due understand the need for growth sooooo? :/

My vote is No...SKF has done wonders to the shrimp hobby, and there is a sense of protection, and genuine "sharing/caring".....no doubt forums need to expand, but perhaps suggest a requirement for a existing member's nomination to all new members, or at the descretion to the mods/owners etc.... BUT, my vote is to have some sort of screening process.....this forum has worked so hard to achieving great members, and environment .....

As this forum grows, and builds it's library...etc, the forum will naturally grow.

My vote is No...SKF has done wonders to the shrimp hobby' date=' and there is a sense of protection, and genuine "sharing/caring".....no doubt forums need to expand, but perhaps suggest a requirement for a existing member's nomination to all new members, or at the descretion to the mods/owners etc.... BUT, my vote is to have some sort of screening process.....this forum has worked so hard to achieving great members, and environment .....

As this forum grows, and builds it's library...etc, the forum will naturally grow.[/quote']

Completely agree... Awesome idea.

I couldn't vote Yes twice..... That's how strong my opinion is on the subject. I mentioned that (being public) in the early stages is a key to success. But that being said, I have no vested interest (financial) in here so it's really up to Numero Uno!...Well, there was my ten bucks....

The question raised as far as I see it, clearly points out the options open for the 'public'. Which is VEIWING ONLY. Surely it can't hurt one bit, if a fly by nighter reads a few threads and never contributes. But think of this... If 'he/she' never gets to read said thread, then they may never know SKF exists. Who knows, they may become a valued member. It can't be that hard to advise visitors that while viewing is open to all, further access is only open to registered members. I want to clarify that I also completely agree that posting/PM's/classifieds should remain for contributing members only. Also stuff the three strikes, I reckon one legitimate strike and bye bye.

As a former financial member on A/L, there was no benefit, it was just supporting the forum. Here, there are obvious benefits. I had my run in's with a couple of people over there, just because they can be anonymous behind a keyboard and anyone can join there. With the current member system here it seems to be working at keeping out the undesirables. But I think being completely private is just hindering SKF's growth. I rember reading on the other shrimp forum that this place was just for 'elitists'... Boy did I laugh... Clearly that guy was refused membership :-) That's it for me, I have to go polish my Rolls Royce with some caviar.

...Oh and GO THE SWANNIES.... How long has it been since I posted. Geez I'm a bum. An 'elitist' bum at that.

I am with Heavy D on this one.

We need a trial on this one. It certainly does have its advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages are huge +traffic and +members

Ofcourse there are disadvantages too

As a new member I don't think my opinion is a deciding factor, but maybe i can shed a different point of view....

I believe a forum is just that, a public access venue for the sharing of views and information. It is however my opinion that not all forums are the same.

It would appear that this particular forum has more of a community feel about it, a community is not always an open one. Im not by any stretch of the imagination suggesting that we should close the borders, but certainly i felt a certain sense of achievement in registering, being accepted and then being able to partake in the forum. In return I paid the subscription (a very modest amount) and showed my gratitude

I think the way the site is structured at the moment gives it a certain sense of value, opening the gates will most certainly increase membership and profitability, but in doing so may drop the over all value of the site...

Just a NOOBS opinion...

Hi,

as a longtime moderator in another shrimp forum I agree that opening SKF has good and bad impacts. However, I think that you all built up a great community and information resource in very short time - and there is no reason to hide. Although in every country different 'camps' have different opinions, and like or dislike each other, one cannot control everything.

My suggestion is to open SKF for all, and make an 'advanced keepers forum' where members with higher post counts can read and post. Like this, everybody really interested has a high motivation to participate.

Imke

I like your idea Imke.

What attracts us to SKF is the quality of it's members, content and access shrimps. If we control content and classifieds access to new but valued/premium members then the community will largely be sustained.

Hate to use analogies but I'd like to see SKF as a "walled garden", where admins/mods manages the forum tightly towards a known and consistent experience.

I read all the comments and agree with what's being said, However!

Sure you are going to get a % of people coming on the forum to simple read, and learn and not to really 'contribute'.

However, I think these are the kinds of people that would find this forum, Try to open a thread and see the "registration required page" and decide 'that's too much effort' and back click to google to continue searching.

Or, After they registered they would see they have limited access and wonder how many posts, or how long before they can start viewing the entire forum.

These kinds of users would never join or contribute weather the forum was open to public or not.

However, I think by having the forum open to the public some people will read a few threads and things and see what a great forum this is full of great information, threads, setups and tanks. And decide they will join. Weather to comment, or ask questions.

I think maybe some things should be open to public viewing but maybe have certain things closed off for members only.

My opinion is at the moment if you had 100 people bring up this forum only 4-5 would actually spend the time signing up and posting to contribute.

If you had it view only, out of those 100 people 10-20 might decide they like what they read and see it's worth signing up.

That's just my opinion anyways.

I agree with imke on her views..

I have been 'targeted' in certain local forums before due to jealousy if not just want to 'smear' my name in the forum by an experienced shrimp person.. But that should not bring down this hobby..

But being in SKF is really very nice.. Everyone is so ever friendly and willing to learn.. I guess the only fallback in SKF is that there is a restriction of shrimps due to Australia's laws...

Kudos to SKF and hope to be able to share and learn more from fellow shrimp lovers everywhere.. :)

I vote "YES", I belong to a turtle forum that is public and it seems to work well. New members need to have their first 5 posts approved by a moderator.

even though I am really new here I actually like the idea of what is hapening now, even though I only get 2 days off a fortnight which makes it hard for me to post as often as I would like I have seen and been involved on crap on other forums due to not backing down off anyone. At least with the way it is it would be easier to keep an eye on potential trouble makers.

So a No from me.