Such a Pretty girl

Baccus

This stunner decided to show herself this evening close enough to the front of the tank to get a couple of nice shots. The tank is going great guns with heaps of native shrimp and now some more newly hatched spotted blue eye fry.

P1080948%202_zpscldgovqw.jpg

P1080946%202_zpsq1pcgn71.jpg

• Like 5

That is correct. My chameleons are living in basically a NT tank with Blackmore River Shrimp, Darwin Red Nose and at least one or two Darwin Algea shrimp.

• Like 1

Very nice. Have you always had some individuals that look like this, or has this one popped up out of the blue?

No there was around three like this when they arrived from Dave and another 3 that are solid red/brown with a tan stripe down their backs. The solid coloured ones I am pretty sure are male since they are much slimmer in build while the mottled striped ones are chunky and more girl looking. I am hoping that when any babies are born they continue the patterns and dont all decide to look like the Blackmore shrimp which can be a bit duller.

A solid coloured with tan stripe down its back

P1080832%202_zpsfjygd3av.jpg

P1080821%202_zpshd8shvb4.jpg

And a couple of Blackmore River Shrimp

P1080227%202_zpsfngnqvs0.jpg

The  berried female is particuarly patterned.

• Like 3

Nice one Baccus! I'll post a couple of pics soon from a mate's chameleons down here, has a couple of similar boldly barred ones like yours - very attractive! 

How do you go with the Blackmores, Dave hasn't had any for years and I've never seen one. Love to see some get around again one day... 

My Blackmores seem to breed quite readily, every so often I find tiny newborns in the tank and I know there are heaps of adult and sub adult in the tank. Because there is so much mulm in the tank, I hate disturbing the gunk since it makes the water black and then impossible to actually find these little masters of disguise. Also because of the mulm the shrimp arent easily conned out into the open with treats of food, unlike my cherry shrimp, that or I just have not discovered a food the Blackmores simply cant resist. They really do appreciate leaves in the tank, I give them mulberry, Indian Almond and Ice Cream Bean leaves.

I am surprised that Dave hasnt had any more Blackmores, but then I have had mine for a year or so now.

As Dave suggests use aged water with them when doing water changes and I always use a length of airhose when siphoning out water from their tank, its the only way I have found to ensure I dont siphon out any tiny shrimplets or blue eye fry since both are so small and can easily pass through almost any mesh put on the end of a siphon hose to prevent accidential sucking up. Also I find the shrimplets seem to be particularly slow growing, maybe its because the tank is not huge (around 80-90L from memory) or because there are so many in there, there is more competition than expected.

I'll have a hunt around and find some more pictures of my Blackmores since I know I do have some good pictures somewhere of them showing good patterns.

Another Stunner!

P1090008%202_zpswsgjaws0.jpg

P1090009%202_zpsugz7nnmv.jpg

• Like 3

I am always excited to see what patterns these shrimp are sporting, these ones seem to be staying pretty stable in pattern, either that or I am only seeing similar ones that have changed to look like each other.

So happy to see your tank still going so well @Baccus. Those are stunning chameleons.

I'm interested in your water params.  How hard is that water?

Edited by Grubs

I really have no idea what the exact parameters are in my tank. Some people say Rockhapton has hard water, while others say soft. I know the local pet shop that buys my guppies sells them as soft water guppies, because if you put my guppies in water that has had live bearer salts added, my guppies kick the bucket. Most of my tanks do have lava rock in them (which gradually breaks down), but the native tank doesnt have any. substrate wise I think its all inert with washed river gravel, some black sand and normal washed river sand. So nothing really fancy in the substrate. I also know I dont tend to get calcification from hard water on my tanks.

• Like 1

Thanks Squiggle

This lovely shrimp decided to show itself last night while I had been busy photographing my Riffle shrimp.

P1090129%202_zpsalyp81au.jpg

And her eating a Wardly Shrimp Pellet

P1090133%202_zpslngvkbmh.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just had to add another happy shot of one of my lovlies that showed herself tonight

P1090260_zpsgfblscvd.jpg

• Like 4

They will change colour and pattern, it seems to be mood and environment inspired. I guess mine are mostly keeping the mottled pattern because of the large log they mostly hang out in, on and around and the "threat" of predation by the spotted blue eyes. I have never seen the blue eyes show any interest in the shrimp, but they probably would eat shrimplets, but sub adult and adult shrimp seem to be too big for the spotted blue eyes.

• Like 1