My Fist Shrimp Tank Journal

JPN07

G'day all

I am going to start my first ever shrimp tank journal. I have just got my new tank and sump. The tank is divided into 3 sections. Each partition glass has 3 cm gap at the bottom for extra water flow between the 3 sections.

I still have alot to do, including sorting out the pipings, painting the tank's back and sides black and painting the sump black all around. The decoration will be simple with driftwood, moss and ferns. I have wanted to do this for so longggg. Finally its happening. hahaha. I will update the journal when i can.

Here are my tank, sump specs and accessories for the setup. Enjoy :)

Tank

4'x18"x18" (120x45x45) - Divided into 3 sections.

Sump

29.5'x13.8"x13.8" (75x35x35)

Sump Media

Matts and foams - to order

Mr Aqua M noodles (10L) - to order

Seachem Matrix - check

Eheim Substrat Pro - check

Substrate

Benibachi 3 x Normal and 2 x Powder Fluvic Soil - Waiting from Aquotix

Benibachi 3 x Fluvic grain - Waiting from Aquotix

Lighting

T5 single tube

Other Asscessories

2600 l/ph Pondmaster MK2 - check

JBJ Arctica 1/10 Hp chiller - check

Hydor 300 watt inline heater - to order

Inline UV steriliser??? - to order

2214c2bd84960bdd857c9a0fd85f6503.jpg20121024_163401.jpg20121024_163451.jpg20121024_180639.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JPN07

• Gbang

• Loach

• Brado

Top Posters In This Topic

great to see you starting this mate, looks like you have all the things needed :)

Q. with the 3cm gap at bottom, how do you stop the shrimp changing sides?

and i would also recommend putting a sponge filter in each compartment :)

That looks awesome...well done JPN07, looking fwd to your future post, nice to see the thought and $ invested on this setup....again awesome !

Thanks guys. Hey Dean, im planning to put ceramic noddles under the gaps and soil over it. Sponge filters are covered as well lol. Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of getting the double sponge filters from Aquotix.

http://www.aquariumonlinestore.com.au/products-page/aquarium-filters/double-bio-sponge-filter-lge/ (Mmmmm nice and chunky lol):p

Looks like an awesome setup. Look forward to reading the progress of the tank.

Looks great mate. Remember to try using lots of plastic luffas in the sump as they are the best bang for buck bio media you can get.

Thanks fellas. Interesting suggesting Sprae. I have heard about them. I might try to source some and try it. Bought a few stuff for the setup. Will update with pics when i have finish with a few things :)

Is this some new type of shrimp? The 'Fist shrimp'?

Its looking good cant wait to see this as it progresses.

Good journal and start up...

Bro dean is right about adding sponge.. Those are good.. Haha..

Another piping issue is to actually put ball valves from the 3 inlets & 3 outlets because even with the gaps below the partitions, the water will not flow balance... Having ball valves on all the inlet and outlet can control the suction and the outflow (in case it's too strong, etc)

It would be good to have lots of bio media.. And I do mean lots... Experienced maximum loading and I am going to do a major decommission on my sump rack and change to a canisters+sump.. :)

All the best!! Have lots of fun setting up... Set up is fun! (Not fun to pockets though.. Reset of soil and decom is not fun at all)

Happy shrimping!!!!

Thanks Alvin. I will consider it. I will be using the 16/22 eheim double tap for the outlet hose. The pump im using for the outlet can be connect it with eheim 16/22 hose.

Went to Bunnings and Aquotix yesterday. Bought a few things to get it all happening. Aquotix gave me a good advice about painting the tank. 1) Use ESP (Easy Surface Prep) and 2) Use oil base paint (flat black).

Sponge filters and Eheim spray bars from Aquotix and paint stuff from Bunnings.

20121029_174536.jpg

Stuff for sump from Bunnings.

20121029_174510.jpg

Tonight i have painted the sump and tomorrow after work i will give it a second coat.

20121029_175456.jpg20121029_201452.jpg20121029_211425.jpg

Thanks guys. My mate Chen came over today to help me with the pipings, big thanks to Chen. All the pipings are done today and just waiting for the glue to set (24hr). I will fill the tank up and test run the system to see if there are any leaks after 24hr (finger cross :victorious:) And now some pics.

20121101_155904.jpg20121101_160000.jpg20121101_155919.jpg20121101_155927.jpg20121101_180019.jpg20121101_173846.jpg

Hahaha thanks Loach. The surface prep works a treat Trav. Make sure you let it dry for 90-120 minutes then apply 1st coat of paint.

great stuff jp!!!!! don't forget to make sure there's heaps of filter media such as phosguard, carbon cuprisorb and purigen just in case!!!