How to filter a divided tank

shrimpy1547

Any suggestions on how to filter a divided tank using a canister filter?

If the intake is at the end of one side, then the rest will not be as filtered?

I'm hoping to use canister filter, so I can use a chiller..

is it a solid divider? or can water pass through it?

if its like egg crate with holes, then one each side is fine

Edited by perplex

You can use plastic mesh which can be purchased in craft shops and you just use a poster framing kit. Like this pic.

ebay_photos_009.thumb.JPG.0dd5834be12a2febay_photos_008.thumb.JPG.30d6cbead34388

I have a divided 4". It's separated by a glass panel with 4 holes and really fine SS mesh. The mesh is great for keeping juvi's in but does significant restrict flow from one side to the other. My intake is in one half with the outlet in the other. What I've ended up doing is removing all filter media from the cannister and just leaving the bio balls and noodles and adding a otto internal filter in both sides.

I use to have a tank divided in 4, and the flow was very restrictive with the mesh....

Just a thought... has anyone tried glass dividers with a 1" gap from the base of the tank? If we fill it with 2"-3" deep substrate, would this keep shrimps from travelling between each section? But would flow be an issue then?

I dn't think shrimps will get through, but it will probably restrict flow...

Just a thought... has anyone tried glass dividers with a 1" gap from the base of the tank? If we fill it with 2"-3" deep substrate, would this keep shrimps from travelling between each section? But would flow be an issue then?

Yes that is how I fitted my glass dividers and the I placed strips of black bio foam under the gap.

• Like 2

Yeah, in your backyard doesn't cost too much. You'll probably be quite offended if you ask a glazier for a quote, try an LFS that make tanks perhaps? What side of town are you on? 

I'm also looking a getting a new divided tank.

Shrimpy1547 are you trying to stop cross breeding between each half or just more for selective breeding. or shrimp at one end and fish at the other?

NoGi Great looking tank do yours cross breed though the mess?.

When I first started to plan it was just because bigger tanks are more stable and in Melbourne more water should be more of a stable temperature . Then decided not to take the chance of cross breeding. Ended up with a 32inch tank split in two. With a internal filter in each half. It works but it's still two tanks to look after. But the temperature is more stable maybe. My LFS got it made $20 extra for the divider.

This time I plan to put fish at one end and shrimp at the other. So no problems about cross breeding. With the canister filter outlet on the shrimp end. So I’m thinking glass divider with a few coin sized hole about 3 quarters the way up hopefully cover them with filter pads held on with magnets (Magnets are great fun). Above that some small holes in case the pads get blocked. And for a fail safe have the divider 1-2cms sorter than the tank. Which is why I didn't do this the first time as I’m sure one day it will over flow.

Anyone see any problems with this.

My glass doesn't go high enough as they climb over. If I was to do it again I would have had it go to the top and had 3 more holes drilled. My current 3 just don't provide enough flow from one side to the other.

I split mine for selective breeding as I have blue gene chocolate cherries and am trying to get the blue strain going but to date no one has been successful in getting them to breed true and it seems fairly impossible atm.

My glass doesn't go high enough as they climb over.

Yep they are like underwater monkeys

Edited by Glacier
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My glass doesn't go high enough as they climb over. If I was to do it again I would have had it go to the top and had 3 more holes drilled.

Yep they are like underwater monkeys

I am currently having tanks made with glass dividers but the dividers do not go all the way to the top of the tank where they meet the lids. Will this be a problem? Can shrimps really scale a smooth glass divider?

Edited by jc12

I am currently having tanks made with glass dividers but the dividers do not go all the way to the top of the tank where they meet the lids. Will this be a problem? Can shrimps really scale a smooth glass divider?

I can confirm that shrimp can scale the glass dividers especially when you have built up a good amount of biofilm on the glass dividers. I have sponge filters filling the gap between the dividers and lids. I have found shrimps crawling in-between the sponge filter and lids lol.

Now I regularly scrap the glass dividers from just under the water line and up. It has stopped them climbing over for now but I still see them trying. :eyes_on_fire:

Thanks mate. Good tip. Will make sure the dividers flush with the lids. I am tinkling with excitement. Can't wait to paint the rack and plumb it all up with the tanks. :)

why not go for a hamburg matten filter style divider and use a big sheet of filter foam? just make sure you cut the foam right, measure twice cut once ;)

its also easy to remove, sure they can climb it but if you cut the foam so it goes all the way to your lid you should be right

tech den sell a big sheet of foam

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Sponge_Filter_Sheet_p/sponge60cmx50mm.htm

why not go for a hamburg matten filter style divider and use a big sheet of filter foam? just make sure you cut the foam right, measure twice cut once ;)

its also easy to remove, sure they can climb it but if you cut the foam so it goes all the way to your lid you should be right

tech den sell a big sheet of foam

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Sponge_Filter_Sheet_p/sponge60cmx50mm.htm

I wasn't sure about flow rate issues and have read conflicting reviews about using foam as a divider (e.g. cleaning, maintenance, flow rate, effective separation, etc.). Hence I decided to go with glass dividers with a 1" gap from base of tank. With 2"-3" substrate, I hope this will be an effective divider. Plan is to separate the BB / Panda+KK / RW/RR and breed them.

Canister filter intake from one end and output at the other end + each section with a sponge filter. Would appreciate if anyone can spot any issue with this idea. Also, sorry for hijacking this thread. My apologies.

I honestly don’t think shrimp tanks have enough crap in them to block it that kind of sponge divider.

the only issue I can see with your idea is as the soil degrades it will block up, the same reason some people are is so against under gravel filters

the only issue I can see with your idea is as the soil degrades it will block up, the same reason some people are is so against under gravel filters

Good point. Perhaps I could do it like Callan... place a foam under the gap.

@Callan, has your soil in the tank broke down yet?