Cooling multiple tanks

shrimpy1547

shrimpy1547

I currently have 3 cube tank side by side set up for different breed of shrimps.

Is there any way of linking the tanks, so I can prepare for the upcoming summer with a chiller.

Obviously, i can't buy 3 chillers for cubes, it's just not cost effective.

I also don't know how to cool the room, as it's my study room. and there's no aircon in there. 

any suggestions?

Needs to go to a window to vent the hot air.

My plan for summer is a peltier based cooler - loads of DIY and in no way efficient, but its cheap and will keep the temperature.

Edited by amkr
Matuva

I was also thinking about a peltier cooler for each of my tanks. You can find Peltier component, temperature probe and power supplies for cheap, but I'm not sure in my case it will work: average volume is 60 liters/tank.

At least I cover 3 sides of tank with styrofoam?

shrimpy1547

I know summer is not here.

But I'd like to prepare before it hits summer, as I have lost my entire colony last summer.

How effective is Peltier Cooling?

My tanks are 30cm cubes....quite small

I was also thinking about a peltier cooler for each of my tanks. You can find Peltier component, temperature probe and power supplies for cheap, but I'm not sure in my case it will work: average volume is 60 liters/tank.

At least I cover 3 sides of tank with styrofoam?

You're not looking to get it down to 10°C just down to a few below ambient.

They used to use peltiers to cool 130W Intel CPU's back in the day. They had them running at a few degrees above ambient.

it may take a while to drop the temp in the tank, but once its down it wont take a lot to keep it at a reasonable temperature.

I know summer is not here.

But I'd like to prepare before it hits summer, as I have lost my entire colony last summer.

How effective is Peltier Cooling?

My tanks are 30cm cubes....quite small

Effective, yes. Efficient, no.

shrimpy1547

I might have a look at that.

I'm assuming peltier cooling is like the Nova Tec's IceProbe.

That one is recommended to drill a hole in the tanks.

But would I be able to just make a bracket and dip the probe into the water, making it upside down?

Disciple

Shrimp Keepers in Singapore use Stainless Steel pipes like in the picture below. I spoke to a few keepers there about it and they have said the tanks being cooled have a temperature difference of less than one degrees.

SS_cooling_pipes.thumb.png.ca06e96ca26f3

Not sure if anyone sells these in Australia but I am sure it could be a good DIY project.

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=211431

That is one of the better designed ones out there. 

With TEC's you need to make sure the hot side of the element is cooled as much as humanly possible. The cooler you can get the hot-side, the cooler the cold side will be.

So you need the peltier element, a big ass heatsink and a decent fan. Then you need a way for the water to interface with the peltier. The design in in the link works well as you don't want your aquarium water to come in contact with anything in the system - particularly copper, unknown metals etc etc (otherwise you could just use a PC waterblock and be done with it). 

So a small container and coil a load of small diameter tubing around in it and you've got yourself a small cooler for the aquarium.

shrimpy1547

So I had it a look.

Basically it's Nova Tec's IceProbe, with the probe within the heatsink dipped in external container rather than the tank.

I think the PC Waterblock system would work much better.

As I don't really understand how it's the water is coming into the container and back to the tank bit.

Would Peltier cooling be expensive to run?

So this cooling system, basically look like a GPU water cooling system?

I wouldn't run any aquarium water through a PC waterblock.

Most if not all are made of copper or some kind of aluminium.
You don't know what chemicals are used in assembly or manufacture - lubricants, sealants etc.

He basically just runs a small pump to cycle the water through the external chilled reservoir. 

is it expensive to run? Yes.

You're looking at 65W + for the peltier element alone.

shrimpy1547

peltier-tec-aquarium-chiller.jpg

Is this what the waterblock you're referring to?

Most DIY peltier setup i found on the net, seem to share a similar design.

Yes like that, I wouldn't use that style.
You don't know whats used in the manufacture of the water-block so your aquarium water is coming in direct contact with who knows what chemicals.

That set up is grossly undersized too, there's no way that peltier will last with those tiny heatsinks and fans!

shrimpy1547

If I went with the design in the link you provided.

Can I use aluminium and dip that right into the tank (obviously the cool side), rather than using the pump water back into the container?

aluminium probably not the best metal to add to an aquarium.

The aim is to keep your aquarium 'closed loop' that is, not to put anything from any outside system in contact with the water.

Pumping the water through an external chilled reservoir ensures that 1) the water can shed temperature efficiently (due to the small dia. hose and large surface area) and 2) the water never touches the outside system. 

shrimpy1547

I was trying to avoid running another 3 powerpoints for the internal pump, which pumps the water to the waterblock.

But I guess that'll be a safer approach.

Only need 2 really. Theoretically can do it with 1.

Peltier is 12V high amp so you'd need to get a pretty beefy power supply (hint - PC power supplies fit the bill). If you get a 12V pump and a 12V fan then you can run the whole lot off a PC power supply.

Matuva

I have found this :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5s8Cu59-NM

May be not worth it for a single tank, but this will  be the solution for my 4 tanks. I will need power for a small fridge and 4 waterpumps. I believe cheaper in power bill than 4 peltier coolers, and probably more efficient!

Time to hunt for Tbees and Crystals now ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• NoGi
      By NoGi
      The Importance of Owning a Quarantine Tank
      A quarantine or hospital tank is an important part of owning an aquarium. Quarantine tanks should be used by anyone introducing new inhabitants (fish, shrimp, etc…) to a tank, but unfortunately, not all owners are able to use these specialized tanks. When a new inhabitant is introduced into an aquarium, there is the potential for it to bring diseases or parasites and vice versa. For example, new fish tend to be stressed from the transportation process. Because of this, new fish are more vulnerable to any disease or parasites already present in the existing aquarium environment. In other words, disease and parasites can work both ways, harming both the new fish and harming fish already present in the environment. A quarantine tank helps to protect your aquarium and allows new fish to regain their strength following their journey. It’s important to make an investment in one of these tanks if you’re serious about fish or any aquatic animal ownership.
      In most cases, people don’t purchase a quarantine tank because they either don’t understand its importance or they don’t have the additional money/space for another tank. A quarantine tank also requires additional maintenance. However, you don’t have to invest in a particularly large or expensive tank. You may end up saving money in the long run by preventing your fish and shrimp from getting sick or ill. Most people who invest in a quarantine tank end up realizing there are significant benefits.
      These tanks not only prevent the spread of disease and parasites, but also help your new inhabitants to adjust to the new water and food they’ll be exposed to. When you’re not quarantining before introduction into the larger tank, you can also use it as a treatment tank. For example, if you have sick or infected shrimp, you can separate them from the larger population and place them inside the quarantine tank. This allows you to carefully attend to your sick shrimp without worry than your healthy shrimp will also become ill. Under some circumstances, you can also use the quarantine tank as a breeding tank, a tank to raise newly hatched fry and shrimplets, and as a place to seclude any of your inhabitants who are being harassed.
      There are additional benefits to using a quarantine tank. First, it’s easier and cheaper to medicate sick inhabitants when you use a quarantine tank. By preventing a larger outbreak, you can minimize the medical costs by limiting your treatment to one or two sick inhabitants. It’s also far easier to maintain the water quality for newly introduced fish or shrimp. In heavily populated tanks, it’s difficult to keep the water quality at optimal levels. In a more limited quarantine tank, you can more effectively maintain the optimum water conditions. If your inhabitants are exhibiting any signs of trouble adjusting to its environment, you can perform even more frequent water changes to guarantee the water quality is optimum. However, in general, a quarantine tank is a good investment because it allows you to keep any eye on specific tank inhabitants more easily. When a fish or shrimp is isolated from larger groups, it’s easier find and inspect. They will also be less likely to hide in a smaller tank. For all these reasons, quarantine tanks are the perfect solution for aquatic owners needing to keep inhabitants isolated.
      Typically speaking, you’ll want to buy a 30-40L (approx. 9 gallon) tank for use as a quarantine tank. This size is perfect for both freshwater and saltwater environments. Afterward, you’ll want to set up the tank to operate properly. Use a fluorescent light to illuminate the area, keep a heater to warm the water, and use rocks that can be easily scrubbed of any waste. PVC and plastic tubes can be used to provide additional cover. To keep the tank appropriately filtered, use a sponge filter. These filters require you to remove, disinfect, and rinse them in-between uses. Also, since quarantine tanks are temporary holding areas, they typically don’t have a substrate. This will let you clean and disinfect them more easily.
      The disinfection process itself is not too complicated. You can remove the equipment inside when the tank is not in use. Using a mild unscented bleach solution, you can scrub both the equipment and the internal walls of the tank. However, make sure to remove all traces of bleach before refilling the tank and placing any fish in there. Drying out the tank is another way to kill many of the waterborne pathogens that commonly infest a tank. Use a separate siphon for your quarantine tank than you use for your normal tank, and disinfect it when you disinfect the rest of the tank’s equipment.
      With fish, the actual length of time you keep them quarantined can vary, but typically it takes between two to four weeks to either introduce a new fish or rehab a sick one. Within that time frame, a copper sulfate treatment can be used to treat parasites. This process can last anywhere from two to three weeks. Keep an eye on your fish. If they have red spots or ragged fins, there’s a chance there’s a bacterial infection going on, which will require additional treatments. Also replace between 10 and 15% of the water every other day to guarantee the quality of your water is at its best. That said, if you also keep shrimp, either setup a second hospital tank for them or ensure you do a proper clean after use. To shrimp, the majority of copper based solutions can be fatal.

View full article
    • NoGi
      By NoGi
      The Importance of Owning a Quarantine Tank
      A quarantine or hospital tank is an important part of owning an aquarium. Quarantine tanks should be used by anyone introducing new inhabitants (fish, shrimp, etc…) to a tank, but unfortunately, not all owners are able to use these specialized tanks. When a new inhabitant is introduced into an aquarium, there is the potential for it to bring diseases or parasites and vice versa. For example, new fish tend to be stressed from the transportation process. Because of this, new fish are more vulnerable to any disease or parasites already present in the existing aquarium environment. In other words, disease and parasites can work both ways, harming both the new fish and harming fish already present in the environment. A quarantine tank helps to protect your aquarium and allows new fish to regain their strength following their journey. It’s important to make an investment in one of these tanks if you’re serious about fish or any aquatic animal ownership.
      In most cases, people don’t purchase a quarantine tank because they either don’t understand its importance or they don’t have the additional money/space for another tank. A quarantine tank also requires additional maintenance. However, you don’t have to invest in a particularly large or expensive tank. You may end up saving money in the long run by preventing your fish and shrimp from getting sick or ill. Most people who invest in a quarantine tank end up realizing there are significant benefits.
      These tanks not only prevent the spread of disease and parasites, but also help your new inhabitants to adjust to the new water and food they’ll be exposed to. When you’re not quarantining before introduction into the larger tank, you can also use it as a treatment tank. For example, if you have sick or infected shrimp, you can separate them from the larger population and place them inside the quarantine tank. This allows you to carefully attend to your sick shrimp without worry than your healthy shrimp will also become ill. Under some circumstances, you can also use the quarantine tank as a breeding tank, a tank to raise newly hatched fry and shrimplets, and as a place to seclude any of your inhabitants who are being harassed.
      There are additional benefits to using a quarantine tank. First, it’s easier and cheaper to medicate sick inhabitants when you use a quarantine tank. By preventing a larger outbreak, you can minimize the medical costs by limiting your treatment to one or two sick inhabitants. It’s also far easier to maintain the water quality for newly introduced fish or shrimp. In heavily populated tanks, it’s difficult to keep the water quality at optimal levels. In a more limited quarantine tank, you can more effectively maintain the optimum water conditions. If your inhabitants are exhibiting any signs of trouble adjusting to its environment, you can perform even more frequent water changes to guarantee the water quality is optimum. However, in general, a quarantine tank is a good investment because it allows you to keep any eye on specific tank inhabitants more easily. When a fish or shrimp is isolated from larger groups, it’s easier find and inspect. They will also be less likely to hide in a smaller tank. For all these reasons, quarantine tanks are the perfect solution for aquatic owners needing to keep inhabitants isolated.
      Typically speaking, you’ll want to buy a 30-40L (approx. 9 gallon) tank for use as a quarantine tank. This size is perfect for both freshwater and saltwater environments. Afterward, you’ll want to set up the tank to operate properly. Use a fluorescent light to illuminate the area, keep a heater to warm the water, and use rocks that can be easily scrubbed of any waste. PVC and plastic tubes can be used to provide additional cover. To keep the tank appropriately filtered, use a sponge filter. These filters require you to remove, disinfect, and rinse them in-between uses. Also, since quarantine tanks are temporary holding areas, they typically don’t have a substrate. This will let you clean and disinfect them more easily.
      The disinfection process itself is not too complicated. You can remove the equipment inside when the tank is not in use. Using a mild unscented bleach solution, you can scrub both the equipment and the internal walls of the tank. However, make sure to remove all traces of bleach before refilling the tank and placing any fish in there. Drying out the tank is another way to kill many of the waterborne pathogens that commonly infest a tank. Use a separate siphon for your quarantine tank than you use for your normal tank, and disinfect it when you disinfect the rest of the tank’s equipment.
      With fish, the actual length of time you keep them quarantined can vary, but typically it takes between two to four weeks to either introduce a new fish or rehab a sick one. Within that time frame, a copper sulfate treatment can be used to treat parasites. This process can last anywhere from two to three weeks. Keep an eye on your fish. If they have red spots or ragged fins, there’s a chance there’s a bacterial infection going on, which will require additional treatments. Also replace between 10 and 15% of the water every other day to guarantee the quality of your water is at its best. That said, if you also keep shrimp, either setup a second hospital tank for them or ensure you do a proper clean after use. To shrimp, the majority of copper based solutions can be fatal.

• revolutionhope
      By revolutionhope
      Hi all,
      I am in need some advice, I've no experience with plumbing whatsoever (with the exception of using canister filters with chillers if that counts) so please bear with me if my questions seem silly or obvious!
      I came across 2 cheap 4 foot tanks with holes drilled already in the base of them that I am hoping to use. There are only a couple of minor scratches here and there and the only damage is on a back corner where the bezel is chipped - I intend to silicone this inside and out to be safe.
      Anyway I have a few points that I'd really love help to address.
      - How best to plumb these 2 sitting at the same height and integrate a sump.
      - Is it feasible to use 2 eheim canisters with a my chiller connected to a sump? When I only ran one canister the flowrate was not quite enough and the chiller was turning on and off too frequently as a result. Do I have to just bite the bullet and fork out money on a pump instead?
      - Opinions on how best to divide the setup into several bays for different colonies. Currently I am looking at following Paul Minett's lead using tropical flyscreen which has less than 0.4mm aperture but he has told me there is still the occasional fugitive baby.
      Thanks in advance, once I actually start doing anything on this setup I will post the progress in a journal here. Once again NB I am totally clueless so I'd appreciate it if you could dumb down your suggestions for me :-)
      Love and peace
      Will

• Ayrshire shrimp
      By Ayrshire shrimp
      Let's see what u guys r running ??
    • gk2v
      By gk2v
      Im wanting to set up my first shrimp specific tanks and need some advise and recommendations
      I only want to keep cherry shrimp but a fair few different colour varieties so want either a large divided tank or multiple nano tanks and ideally id like to run sponge filters all off one air pump
      So here are my questions:
      1. Is individual nano tanks or large divided tank better? 
      2. If large divided- is glass or mesh better for actual dividers?
      3. Whats the best options for heating for both nano and circulation of heat in a divided tank?
      4. Do i need shrimp specific substrate for cherry shrimp? My tap PH is 7.8 and RCS seem fine with that in my community tank
      5. Will separate sponge filters for each divided section/tank be enough filtration and oxygen or will i need something better?
      6. What sort of air pump capacity will i need if im using gang valves to split? Do i go by total litres of all volume or even more than that?
      7. Whats the smallest tank size i can go for a small colony- not looking to mass bread and dont have much space.
      8. What are the better plants (specifically moss & small ferns etc) for low light?
      Id really appreciate some advice and specific product ideas if you have anything you recommend because i want to do this right and im going to take the time for due diligence- ive attached photos of some ideas i like so far

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• ineke
      Hi Crabby, I’ve been popping in and out quite often and answered a few questions here and there .  Im glad to have been of so assistance to fellow shrimp keepers over the years.  It’s a bit sad to see the forum so quiet. We were a very active and friendly bunch over the years. Helping each other out, giving away shrimp to new members who showed interest. Even playing games between us and generally having fun while learning about our new hobby. As to my tank the reason I queried about the spike of ammonia is mainly because if you play with substrate , move it around etc you can cause a small spike. As my substrate had been outside for quite some time I fully expected it to take a week or so to go through a mini cycle. I’m pleasantly surprised that it still isn’t showing any change just the tiniest bit of nitrate so tomorrow i will catch out 20 culls I have in my pond outside and see how they go. I need a reasonable number because it’s a big tank - if I only put 1 or 2 in I might never see them. I’m wanting to put all my black pinto, galaxy and Taitibees into the tank plus some Blue Bolts and Steel Blues. I will also put my Bloody Mary’s in for a contrasting colour. I only have 3 tanks now so it’s a bit hard to do proper selective breeding but as all my shrimp are hybrids it doesn’t really matter about mixing them. That leaves a tank for my Red pintos and Taitibees and a tank for fancy Tiger patterns and Blue Diamonds. That should keep me happy again.🥰
    • Crabby
      Hi Ineke! I must say, I was pretty surprised to see a post from you, it’s always pretty interesting to see a past member come back to the forum. Some of your posts were really helpful to me when I was getting started with shrimp, so thanks!   I think I would personally wait a week to be sure, but to be honest, I can’t see any reason for an ammonia spike. If the substrate has already run for 4 months, and you have 4 fully cycled filters, I reckon you should be fine. Definitely go culls first though. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I uderstand your concern, it is concerning! You are probably just going to have to ride this out, as JayC, add another filter and bacteria, the bacteria you will just have to buy what the shop has and give that ago? Do as thorough vac as you can, moving things out of the way where you can. Keep up with water changes as well as that will reduce the ammonia etc, but add new water slowly. Simon
    • ineke
      Thanks Simon . I just needed someone else’s thoughts. I will pop a few culls in over the weekend if the ammonia hasn’t spiked. Better to be over cautious than sorry. It just didn’t seem right that there was no spike but I guess 2 large canisters full of bacteria are a big help too. I will let you know how the culls go after the weekend.  As you say sometimes things just go right but not very often when you have TB type shrimp involved 😳 No not really I’ve been very lucky over the years with no actual disasters with my shrimp.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would thnk everything is ok as the sustrate was used and passed the point it may cause a spike, but just check it for a week (occassionally ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, you could leave it for the week but I would prefer the extra peace of mind you will have from more frequent testing for this week) and try some culls now to be on the safe side! Using the old water will have helped, undoubtedly! There doesn't sound like anything mentioned would cause anything other than what you have seen, but I understand your concern, rarely does everything go so well in this hobby, but with your years of experience and from your post all looks great - I will however keep my fingers crossed................ It is always great to have past members return and hear how it is going? I have read many of your old posts with interest. Simon