Anyone keep endlers?

NoGi

I bought myself some endlers, a while ago I started out with 5 and now I have so many babies I can't count them all. It's very exciting watching them grow. The best part is they don't eat my shrimp and they don't eat they're own babies.

• Like 1

Mine didn't eat my cherries but did seem to like my sulas :slobber:

I almost died when I saw them snacking on half a whiteglove. Thankfully it was a trial run to see if they got along.

• 4 years later...
On 7/2/2015 at 9:37 PM, NoGi said:

So anyone else here keep endlers? I think I'm hooked on them.

Hi mate Yes I am into Endler's Now I breed French Blue Star, Lime Green and have just got some El Tigre, I also have a hybrid line called Ginga Rubrua  lovely fish much easier to keep than shrimp 

• Like 2

I have tried a couple of times in the past as they ar my favourite but both times they didn't last long. My tank is quite densely planted and they keep getting into places they shouldn't and get stuck, behind filters or heater, under moss pads etc. I guess part of the interest in having them is that they are curious fish, but that is also their downfall. I'm sure they are probably chasing shrimplets when they get stuck.

They aren't too readily available here either and getting livestock delivered is quite risky anyway with the virus causing problems, but I may try another batch at some point, I just have ember tetras in that tank at present! There were neon tetras as well but they died off when we had a week of mid 30s heat, the embers survived though so they must be tougher?

Simon

On 8/29/2020 at 2:44 PM, wayne6442 said:

Hi mate Yes I am into Endler's Now I breed French Blue Star, Lime Green and have just got some El Tigre, I also have a hybrid line called Ginga Rubrua  lovely fish much easier to keep than shrimp 

Wish you were down in Melbourne, lol, we don't have most of those variants as far as I know. I personally keep and breed Japan Blues, Yellow King Cobra, and my own strain of black-bars. Would love to get more types though, I just love endlers ?

• Like 1

Hi there, I am a new member and have the common green orange and black lyertail I inherited. Only difference with the ones I noticed other pictures of is mine have a white or pink dorsal fin.

• Like 1

As far as I know, the white or pink dorsal usually indicates that there is some guppy lineage in the endler. Well, either that or the other way around, can't remember exactly ?

Is the species you have mentioned a 'black bar endler'? Sounds like the ones I have. 

• Like 1

Hi guys, I would like to clear up a problem with Endler sales today : Be AWARE that not all fish sold as Endler's today, are in fact Endler's but Hybrids ( Usually Guppy /Endler Crosses) and should be called Endler hybrids and not Endler. 

Here is a list of the purist species of Endlers found in Australia today  They are usually sold as "P" class Endlers {meaning that these fish show up to 98% of the traits found in the documented "N" class wild types)All our "P" class species can link their origins back to fish caught in the wild.

"P" Class Endlers species  Found in Australia Today

1 El- Tigre

2 El-Silverado

3 Red Chest

4 Campoma 31 Blue Snake Skin

5 Lime Green

6 Blue Star ( French) 

7 Orange Spot

List of Known Hybrid Endlers Found in Australia Today

1 Ginga Rubra

2 Cardinal

3 Tiger

4 Japan Blue ( Black Bar)

5 Blonde

6 Blonde gold tigers

7 Scarlet/chilli

8 Opal

8 Santa maria

9 Black Flame /Tuxedo

10 Neon Blonde

There may be more out there but this list is compiled from information gathered  from some of Australia's best known breeders 

Hope this helps 

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm aware all mine are hybrid species. Just wondering what you meant by Japan Blue (Black Bar)?
As far as I'm aware, black bars and japan blues are extremely different in colour, and I would suppose slightly in genetics. I keep both.
Do you know much about how different 'species' (colour variations) are defined? For instance, I keep a strain that my seller told me were 'Yellow King Cobras'. They're a variation of the tiger endler, with a large black bar/elipse up towards the chest-area, less black on the body, and a more intricate snakeskin pattern. I can attach a picture if you would like. But would this be considered a different individual hybrid species? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crabby said:

Wish you were down in Melbourne, lol, we don't have most of those variants as far as I know. I personally keep and breed Japan Blues, Yellow King Cobra, and my own strain of black-bars. Would love to get more types though, I just love endlers ?

39 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Yeah, I'm aware all mine are hybrid species. Just wondering what you meant by Japan Blue (Black Bar)?
As far as I'm aware, black bars and japan blues are extremely different in colour, and I would suppose slightly in genetics. I keep both.
Do you know much about how different 'species' (colour variations) are defined? For instance, I keep a strain that my seller told me were 'Yellow King Cobras'. They're a variation of the tiger endler, with a large black bar/elipse up towards the chest-area, less black on the body, and a more intricate snakeskin pattern. I can attach a picture if you would like. But would this be considered a different individual hybrid species? 

Yes the black bar Endler and the Japan blue are two different fish , what has happend is that some  breeders have crossed the japan Blue with a black bar endler to get the japan blue to show a black bar just another instance of line breeding , most of these morphs are the result of experimentation.   and then selected to line breed until breeding true . they are still hybrids and can't be called Endlers .

As for yellow king cobras do they breed true? if so you might be able to claim a new variety , my suggestion is to join the Endler Livebearers club Australia on Facebook  and post a picture and see what people say

Edited by wayne6442
  • Like 1

I am working on a paper to help people distinguish how to pick and what to look for in our classic Endlers

as apposed to hybrids I will post it here when I have finished

• Like 2

I thought it had a pink or white dorsal, until I got this pic; Endler or hybrid? Also what should I be selecting for? I have a pool of at least a hundred and haven't got my F1 females yet. I don't like the ones that are two thirds of either orange, black or green - I figured a third of each might be right. Also I noticed a tiny fleck of purple under one of their dorsals. Is this a selection or a blemish. Don't forget I'm a bit new at posting.

Pumpkin fin.PNG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Spinach said:

Also what should I be selecting for? I have a pool of at least a hundred and haven't got my F1 females yet. I don't like the ones that are two thirds of either orange, black or green - I figured a third of each might be right.

I guess select for certain traits you find especially pleasing. Choose your favourite fish, work out what you like about them, then select a group of fish that have that trait. I know for me, my black bars have blue/white dorsals, and one fish has a beautiful blue dorsal with black polka dots. I love that trait, so I'm going to try to breed him with my females (once I work out what species each of my females are - I keep all my endler juvies from diff parents and species together).

Also I noticed a tiny fleck of purple under one of their dorsals. Is this a selection or a blemish.

Probably something that could be selected. 

Endler or hybrid?

As far as I'm aware, black bar endlers are a hybrid, but I believe they may have a much higher percentage of endler in them than some other hybrids.

• Like 1