Jump to content
Matuva

KH : 0?

Recommended Posts

jayc

Jay,

You forgot to remind him not to use the water immediately after boiled. I afraid he will forget about it and use it immediately. LOL!!! ;)

AHAHAHAHAH ! :miao:

 

Seriously though, let the water sit 24hours with an aerator before using it. :awe:

Don't blame me if you get cooked shrimp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matuva

Remember I told to you boil the water from the creek first??? Did you forget?

It was on the first page of this thread. Doh.

 

 :embarrass:Yes yes, I remember. Sometimes you just need to get burnt to gain experience and know you don't have to play with fire :burn: 

 

Jay,

You forgot to remind him not to use the water immediately after boiled. I afraid he will forget about it and use it immediately. LOL!!! ;)

 

Tssss :brzzzzz:

 

For boiled water, you need to put an air pump or water pump to circulate it for a day or two before use. Boiled water will contain much lesser oxygen and it is not good to use it directly. Also when you are boiling the water, it is better to heat it to 60C to 70C for 20 mins or more (pasteurisation) instead of boiling it to boiling point. High temperature will cause water to evaporate, and nutrients may react and lost it's bioavailability.

What if I treat the water with Flubendazole and then filter it under a 2 microns mesh?

I can boil about the 100 liters i will collect, but I'm afraid I won't have enough shrimps for cooking then :5565bf0371061_D:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc

Try to avoid using medication where possible. 

Heating the water to 70-80degC will more than likely kill any parasites.

 

If you are in a rush, a drop of Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) will re-oxygenate the water in no time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shrimpy Daddy

Try to avoid using medication where possible. 

+1

Medication kills parasites but not their eggs. Boiling will kill both.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matuva

 

 Yes, I forgot about the eggs. Mmm, boiled eggs and shrimps. It's really time to buy some mayonnaise :aha-!: 

Just a drop of H202 is enough for 100 l?

I was also thinking - even though I will boil - about a pump I have. This pump has an UV lamp inside to help purifying the water.

I use one in my discus tank where the water is trully crystal clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc

Well, maybe a bit more for 100L.

10ml should do it. Maybe less. H2O2 will super oxygenate the water, but don't use too much. 

UV is ok for bacteria and algae. And you can run it with the tank. BUT.

It's not enough for the water from the creek. It's not going to kill parasites or their eggs.

Boiling the water will sort out algae, bacteria, parasites and their eggs all in one go. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matuva

OK, will do ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Must Read SKF Articles

  • Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

    Join Our Community!

  • Posts

    • sdlTBfanUK
      My brother just moved from San Antonio to Florida! It may be more economic to purchase a specific chiller for the shrimp tank, we don't have that problem here though I did cook mine, 33 degrees if I remember, d'oh (faulty heater)! I assume you can get one for a large tank like yours? There are a number of foods that are probably easier and don't go mouldy, like snowflake which is soya bean husks and can be left in the tank for long periods and is therefore better if you are going away for a period. Indian Almond leaves are good for holiday periods as well because they decay very slowly and 'stuff' the shrimp like grow on them. Probably if you are just going away for a few days you may be better not to feed and if there are Indian almond leaves etc in the tank they should have enough to eat. Hopefully you caught the temperature in enough time that you won't loose any more shrimps. Simon 
    • supermansteve32
      Yes. I live in Texas. When I'm away freon the house I'll have only one of my AC units running so the cats don't die.  The mold was caused by some food the shrimp didn't eat.  I did a temp check with my other probe  and it was almost 2 degrees higher. I guess I'll leave the fans on when I leave now
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would think that is possible as that is pretty much the upper limit I think, and of coarse how accurate is the thermometer - I have 4 different methods and all produce different readings so it may have been a bit higher??? Mould isn't usually a problem other than it looks horrid and usually will just disappear after a tank is properly run in and as far as I know not harmful to shrimps. I have had it in most of my tanks at the start, usually on wood or something similar and either removed the item it grows on or just leave it and it gradually disappears within a month (usually less). I hope you manage to get the temperature back to normal and it sounds like you have mastered the TDS. I'm not sure where you are based, is it somewhere hot (I apologise if you have said and I have forgotten)? Simon
    • supermansteve32
      I came home from being away for 2 days and there was another adolescent shrimp dead. I saw the water temp was 83. I know they like to have 70 to 78. Would 83 kill some shrimp?  Also I first started doing water changes again and I had to do a little extra a few days later because there was a little mold I had to siphon out. Not sure if that's the reason either. Also my water TDS stayed between 142-147 this whole time. 
    • kms
      The tanks are only 16L, for it to reach 31c, it isn't hard.
×