tangerine tigers

buck

How many people here have tangerine tigers? What’s your exp with them?

I’ve noticed the prices have plummeted  that people are asking for tange tigers on fb. The fb auction group seems to move a lot of them.  I’m thinking about getting some now they’re a more reasonable price.    

I don't have any.....but they apparently breed like cherries. I don't see the attraction personally(probs good Jamie outbid you?) They look like sunkist with spots and are obviously the base to breed yellow kk (which look like yellow cherries) but that's just my opinion?

• Like 1

I didn't think that much of them from pics I'd seen but in person they're really nice. Yes they breed like flies, really tough and hardy and the market fell very quickly. You do read from overseas that serrata are like that. 

They have much more potential than just breeding the yellow kks, heaps of stuff coming from tangerine crosses. 

I like the look of them. Also heard they are easy to breed.

At the end of the day if you like them go for it. Good luck when you do get some.

As Kiz said only a couple of months ago pairs were going for a couple of hundred. Now the price has dropped a lot.

At least you could add a different colour to a cherry tank without worrying about cross breeding

• Like 1

At least you could add a different colour to a cherry tank without worrying about cross breeding

This is why I am interested in them.

Can have yellow and blue shrimp in the same tank :p

yeah, the seller pmed me and asked if i wanted some as he "has heaps" so i still might get some and see how they go

So sorry to have sniped the auction. They are the base to so many of the amazing variations bred overseas at the moment I just HAVE to have more of them. 

I have had a pair going for a few months and they don't stop breeding and are almost indestructible. 

I am sure Sam will look after you on pricing to. Be sure to let him know you are on SKF too if you haven't already, he used to be active on here. 

• Like 1

Sorry to Hijack the thread.

I am really curious, does anyone know what happens if you keep the TT with OEBT's? Do they breed like TB's and give you pure offspring or are they like cherries where the offspring revert to wild types?

I had both together for a short while and the cross bred offspring were similar to blondes, with some being more tangerine colour. But not like TB where you have obvious true type patterns. Sorry ? Seperate if you can, otherwise offspring are pretty much culls.

• Like 2

How many people here have tangerine tigers? What’s your exp with them?

I’ve noticed the prices have plummeted  that people are asking for tange tigers on fb. The fb auction group seems to move a lot of them.  I’m thinking about getting some now they’re a more reasonable price.    

How to find this group?

Any group for green Babaultis too?

Edited by Matuva

I had both together for a short while and the cross bred offspring were similar to blondes, with some being more tangerine colour. But not like TB where you have obvious true type patterns. Sorry ? Seperate if you can, otherwise offspring are pretty much culls.

Thanks Newbreed

How to find this group?

Any group for green Babaultis too?

not too many about with Green Babaultis as far as I am aware. Never see them up for sale! :(

Like said earlier they are really easy to breed and adaptable to water parameters.

Crossing them with twb, can give you skunks, fishbones, blue and red steel, ykk etc.

Also the metallic purples have tangerine in the mix too!!!

I mentioned this in my last post on this thread but it seems to have been largely missed. These are not C. mariae, they're C. serrata! If you cross them with OEBT or anything other than other Tangerine serrata, you won't (can't!!) get "wild throwbacks" or "true breeding". You would have made a new interspecific hybrid and will have work ahead to get to anything true breeding. 

Im not up to scratch on my shrimp varieties.

Theoretically we can keep Crystals and TT's in the same tank without them interbreeding?

We can also keep other OEBT varieties and not risk them going back to wild colouration also?

What are OEBT's able to breed with?

Thanks!

• HOF Member

When OEBT's are bred with crystals or TB we get Tibees . Interestingly I have had some yellow ? Cross breeds show up that look like yellow cherries with orange eyes in my Snow White Mischling tanks - there is Tibee breeding in some of the snow whites. Mine haven't bred yet but I have them in with  Mischlings, TIBEE and TBM so looking forward to seeing what they produce. They look like the Tangerine Tigers but could also be  yellow KK TBM

Im not up to scratch on my shrimp varieties.

Theoretically we can keep Crystals and TT's in the same tank without them interbreeding?

We can also keep other OEBT varieties and not risk them going back to wild colouration also?

What are OEBT's able to breed with?

Thanks!

If you did keep Crystals and TT's in the same tank they could and would interbreed.

I see...

So crystals and TT's are a no go unless I want a variety shrimp show in my tank.

Got it.. I think.

• HOF Member

It depends on what you want really. There are some very nice shrimp turning up with the crossbreeding but conversely that means we ultimately end up losing our pure breed stock. Once you put them in a mixed tank you can no longer guarantee them to be pure and will have to let the buyers know they are or possibly are a hybrid. if you have a spare tank then hybrids are great fun - the excitement of not knowing what you may get adds that bit extra to keeping shrimp but losing the pure strain is problematic. It's very hard to buy pure TB now most seem to have pinto genes and this will eventually happen with any other breeds that will interbreed.

• Like 1

URL]http://24960120150611201141.jpg

These are some of my offsprings tangtai, the colours look quiet dull because of my phone.

The offsprings of twb x tang tiger are easily recognisable.

But like ineke said if you cross pintos with twb you wont be able to tell the difference between twb and taiti twb phenotype.

• HOF Member

They look great. Looks like they are similar to the F1 Tibee, once you cross them back to TB you will start getting more impressive patterns. Would love to see how they progress. My F4/5 Tibees are showing promise but the colour and patterns need more definition. Definitely a work in progress. Good luck with these guys.