should i use UGF filter with breeding sponge?

salvanost

hello, i want to setup 5 tanks

and my goal would be adding 1 or 2 pipe UGF into the tank!

it's my first time using UGF filter, people often said i must beware of the sludge it would hinder the UGF from working properly

i think i could prevent it,  yeah maybe... urgh...

next problem would be a shorter soil life, usually good soil would be good for 2 years, but my friend always got random death after 8 month

change the soil and voila, problem solved, i need some trick for these problem, i don't know what the trick, but i don't want to setup the tank again after 8 month...

i could add more soil, for stronger buffer, maybe more soil mean more life time?

any idea how to use the ugf?

Thanks

Some of the Taiwan breeder tanks use the UG successfully in its own glassed off section at rear of tank, usually quite deep. Then open front area with fine layer. Then if you need to change the soil you are only changing one easier to manage section. May be worth investigating. I am seriously considering this too.

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2015, 9:54:43, newbreed said:

Some of the Taiwan breeder tanks use the UG successfully in its own glassed off section at rear of tank, usually quite deep. Then open front area with fine layer. Then if you need to change the soil you are only changing one easier to manage section. May be worth investigating. I am seriously considering this too.

+1 to that I was thinking of getting a couple of divided tanks aswell

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_3273.JPG?10185293531155920529I have 12 tanks all set up using taiwan method, internal divider glass approx 15cm high and 15cm deep, packed with media n soil

Sorry Photo rotated... cant see how turn back

• Like 3

two ways to clean below the UGF.

1. is siphon from down the tube of UGF or

2. if u custom the tanks. Put a drainage valve below under the ugf. So when u do water change u do via the valve.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3 July 2015 at 10:04 PM, salvanost said:

1st ugf tank setup

k4h4c2.jpg

I saw similar setup with UGF, but I saw ppl using some special type of small light rock, looks like small pieces of lava rock, put in between of the filter and soil. Can I use power sand instead?

in my case, ugf filter not giving a worthy result

i still see ADA aquasoil amazonia 2 (which in theory not good with ugf filter)

better than other soil

and ugf filter = more hair algae problem