Minor dilemma

larrymull

I've just been told that our power will be out from 8am to 3.30pm tomorrow. 

I currently have a tank with CRS and RCS in them plus some juvie TB's.

What can I do? I do not have a generator or anything power operated to keep the filtration going and the heat. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers.

For filtration, use battery powered air pump if you have sponge filters. You can get the air pump from LFS, BCF or fishing and tackle shop.

For cooling, perhaps a standing fan or clip on computer USB fan blowing across the water surface? Considering it is winter, I doubt the temperature will rise too much.

Keep your lights off, cover the tank from direct sunlight, keep away from heat source and if possible insulate the tank with foam, cardboard or corflute from Bunnings, etc.

filtration yes get battery powered air bump in terms of heating you could try wrapping the tank in a blanket to prevent it being affected too much by ambient temperature swings in room 

Ok so the situation stands that I do not have a battery operated air pump and I have zero chance of getting one as I will be meetings all day tomorrow. The room is quite insulated and I don't see the temperature of the tank going below say 3 degrees to what it is at the moment 22 degrees. The heater in the house will be on as it runs on gas.

I am only concerned with 1 30cm cubed tank. I was thinking I could scoop up the TB's and put them in a container like I would if I was sending them to someone. There are only about 5 TB's and about 10CRS. Thoughts?

Best just to leave them in the tank.

Dont feed them tonight. 

What filtration do you have? If its internal, I wouldn't worry. If its external and the power is off for less than six hours, you should be sweet. 

Power companies seem to over-estimate the amount of time the power is off, so you might be worrying for nothing. 

• Like 1

Yep it's just a hob filter, I do feel quite confident if I left them in their normal environment they should be sweet. Fingers crossed I guess.

I think a hob filter will be fine turned off for quite a few hours; if you use carbon inserts for it then there will certainly be no issue - just put a new one in soon if you're worried. The temperature will not be a problem. 

Do as fishmosy said re. leaving them in the tank and not feeding them tonight. It will be fine. 

• Like 1

You won't have to worry about shrimps. They can survive a power outage for quite a long time.

What you DO have to worry about is the beneficial bacteria on your filter media.

If there is no water movement in a small container like a hob, they will starve of oxygen.

If you can remove any filter media, transfer them temporarily to a large body of water like the tank.

You won't have to worry about shrimps. They can survive a power outage for quite a long time.

What you DO have to worry about is the beneficial bacteria on your filter media.

If there is no water movement in a small container like a hob, they will starve of oxygen.

If you can remove any filter media, transfer them temporarily to a large body of water like the tank.

I have benefical bacteria on the foam filter inlet so the shrimplets don't get sucked up but as far as the hob filter it will just be sitting in the water awaiting for the power to come back on. The filter media won't be drying out if that is what you mean. Anyway time will tell and hopefully the power isn't off for as long as they say.

hey larry glad all is good - youre probably already aware but just want to chime in and suggest you keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite incase any bacteria died off and contributed to a spike.

• Like 1

AS has already been pointed out about your filter and watching for ammonia, nitrite spikes. I would also recommend that you clean all the bio media in the filter using water from the tank. Never use fresh water to clean any bio-media as it will flush out all the areobobic bacteria. 

AS has already been pointed out about your filter and watching for ammonia, nitrite spikes. I would also recommend that you clean all the bio media in the filter using water from the tank. Never use fresh water to clean any bio-media as it will flush out all the areobobic bacteria. 

I'll check ammonia and nitrites when I get home, it has been over 24hrs so if there hasn't been a spike now i'm guessing there won't be one.

I would still clean the bio-media in the hob filter, it will help flush any dead bacteria. Just use some of the tank water to do it. It won't hurt.

It is a more critical thing to do in an external cannister filter because it has more bio-media in it.