Flowering Bucephalandra spp.

fishmosy

Just wanted to share a pic of my Bucephalandra sp. "Brownie Ghost" which has started to flower.

P1050557-P50.thumb.jpg.7c6763ec1882f8252

P1050557-P50.thumb.jpg.7c6763ec1882f8252

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 2

Very nice fishymoss. They look very healthy. I purchased some a while ago and after putting them in the tank I had a massive algae outbreak and lost nearly all of it. I have one piece left and is growing emersed atm. Thanks for the pic's would you be able to post a photo of the flower.

Yep I will post a picture of the flower. The flower spike still hasn't opened even though its been a couple of weeks since I first spotted it.

many people say (myself included) that buce seem to grow quicker underwater. How is yours going emersed? 

Yeah not to bad. It has grown about three or four leaves in about three months. Slow but not dead. I had one leaf left when I put it in there due to the black beard algae. I am going to chuck it in my new tank and see how it goes. Do you dose ferts and co2?

I use a little bit of dino spit (Aquagreen) - glutaraldehyde, no other ferts are added as I keep mine in my CRS tank. They will grow faster if you do run CO2 and ferts though. 

• 2 weeks later...

The flower took a long time to open - several weeks.

It began to swell about a week before it opened

P1060240-P50.thumb.jpg.8b9e1f4012b124fa8

And here is what it looks like after it opened (last weekend).

P1060241-P50.thumb.jpg.12bab093c9da15d61

P1060251-P50.thumb.jpg.574e50256a7a64035

P1060252-P50.thumb.jpg.9bf40cc0f4cd6be9e

Finally it looks like my Bucephalandra sp. "Dark Catherine" could be beginning to flower as well.

P1060296-P50.thumb.jpg.01a88bafa118627b9

I'll keep everyone updated.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nice work mate! Seems like they're happy enough with the glutaraldehyde. What temperature and daylength are you running in that tank? 

This tank runs at room temperature, so is currently at 20*C. It was approx.18-19*C when I first added the Catherine. I'm not sure if it was the low temp or moving into a new tank that caused it to flower. 

Lighting is LED, set to 2 hours ON in the morning and 8 hours ON in the evening.