Unusual Blue Gene Red Rilli

Callan

I was culling some blue gene red rilli today from my shrimp tank and I noticed an unusual looking blue gene red rilli. Well I think it is!!!!

It has a yellow tinge through the body, a slightly yellower head, a red dot on top of its head and it has red legs.  I don't know how it has 

happend or what it was breed from, other than it was in with my blue gene red rilli.

Apologises for the quality of the photos, my poor photographic skills and the glass on the inside of the shrimp tank never gets cleaned, but anyway they are good enough to give you a look and get your opinions. I may be wrong but I can't see how it isn't from my rilli,s.

Pic 1: Side Shot

ebay_photos_004.thumb.JPG.b9415ab8666369

Pic 2: You can see red dot on it's head

ebay_photos_003.thumb.JPG.aeeda88760ac67

Pic 3: Better photo of side on shot on glass feeder

ebay_photos_005.thumb.JPG.39e8ca4f017d6c

Pic 4: Another side on shot and I know it's a bit hard to see but you can see red legs

ebay_photos_010.thumb.JPG.17bfcea68f49e4

This is another pic and it is to the left of the blue gene red rilli on the moss. This moss mysteriously started growing out of the top of an air filter sponge, so I just cut it of the sponge to save it. I have no idea what it is. It just started growing. Maybe someone can ID it as well.

ebay_photos_018.thumb.JPG.f51ae3b7f84193

Look forward to hearing what you all think.

ebay_photos_003.thumb.JPG.aeeda88760ac67

ebay_photos_004.thumb.JPG.b9415ab8666369

ebay_photos_005.thumb.JPG.39e8ca4f017d6c

ebay_photos_010.thumb.JPG.17bfcea68f49e4

ebay_photos_018.thumb.JPG.f51ae3b7f84193

Edited by Callan
  • Like 1

• HOF Member

Blue gene Rilis do give some interesting morphs but often they are ph related and when put into a different ph they change colour. I have had yellows , greens and orange but unfortunately they never bred true and nearly always varied when  changed to different tanks. Good luck :cool:

Interesting Ineke and thanks for the info. They are in the same tank with other blue gene red rilli that are completely as you would expect rilli's to look, so I don't think ph is the issue. This is one that I have breed.  

Interesting about the different colour morphs though. I have breed some light blue and in a few it is a lot stronger. I have read the thread were it was discussed wether they were or weren't considered blue velvets.

I remember at one stage yellow rilli,s were available but I havent heard or seen anyone breeding or selling them for a long time.

I will try to get some better photos although my skills with a camera are very average as you can see.

• HOF Member

Gbang has  a Yellow Rili breeding program -I think he may have a thread about them. He also has an orange program at the moment. The ph issue still may be there - my yellows and greens were in the same tank as the others. The subject came up about 2 years ago and several breeders at that time were all excited about the different colours but as I mentioned once the ph changed the colour was different and we want the colour to be true regardless of WP's . It's just something for you to keep in mind as you get further along with your program. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that moss off ur sponge filter might be an algae looks similar to what I had very hard to get off stuff it attaches to.  Can't be sure though cause I'm on my phone but it's possible

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I agree Oz it is definately a moss but I haven't seen it like that before. Its good though I actually like it and the shrimp seem to like it. I think I saw something similar in one of the shrimp pics of NoGi's shrimp. I thought I would update a couple of pics. They are completely yellow and it turns out I had a male and female who have breed and the female is very berried. Will be interesting to see what she throws color wise.

Berried Female Rilli and berried CRS. The male yellow rilli is on the glass feeder

ebay_photos_043.thumb.JPG.512def378ec513

Side on pic you can see the greenish colored eggs and my two berried CRS

ebay_photos_044.thumb.JPG.dc3291104c5159

Female again

ebay_photos_045.thumb.JPG.859f9395888404